TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does the 2010 GT500 OEM Clutch Set Fit the 2007 GT500?

Yes he did, and yes you can.

Several members have changed their 2007-2008 to the complete 2010 kit. $750.00 sounds low. Others have posted all the components by part number. I would double check those part numbers against your quote.

Several members have changed their 2007-2008 to the complete 2010 kit. $750.00 sounds low. Others have posted all the components by part number. I would double check those part numbers against your quote.

It does sound like some parts are missing at that price.

I think Chuckstang said he put a 2010 OEM clutch set in his 2007 GT500, but I'm not sure.

Anyone know?

The dealer, of course, can't tell me....

My clutch is slipping, and I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks, guys.

Take it to the Dealer. The new T.S.B. is superseded to 2010 parts. Includes - clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder. If your trans. grinds into gear theres also a trans. repair kit also. Hope this helps you.

Out of curiosity (my '09 clutch is still fine), how is the 2010 clutch different..?

Is it still a twin-disc clutch? Is there a difference in rotating weight, and will it hold the same torque?

It has a larger diameter and made of 100% organic friction materal as opposed to ceramic impregnated organic friction materal.

Out of curiosity (my '09 clutch is still fine), how is the 2010 clutch different..?

Is it still a twin-disc clutch? Is there a difference in rotating weight, and will it hold the same torque?

One thing for sure, it doesn't take 100 lbs of force to depress the 2010 clutch the way it does with the 07-09 model. I don't mind the heavy clutch, but it can really suck when you're stuck in stop & go traffic.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Do you need to replace the flywheel (or anything else not in the 2010 OEM clutch kit) if you put the 2010 clutch in a 2007?

Also: I couldn't tell from the responses above if the slave cylinder must be changed or not. Can someone clarify for me?

:lurk:

Do you need to replace the flywheel (or anything else not in the 2010 OEM clutch kit) if you put the 2010 clutch in a 2007?

Also: I couldn't tell from the responses above if the slave cylinder must be changed or not. Can someone clarify for me?

Yes on the slave, and yes on the flywheel only because the original flywheel sucks and is the main culprit in the generation 1 clutch failures.

Glad to hear about the improvement in the new set up..I had mine start slipping on an '08 at a little over 17000. Do not drive it hard (back tires lasted over 15000 miles) ..Took mine in to dealer and will be putting the 2010 set up.. Appears that the clutch kits are on back order for about 10 days so 2-3 weeks before I get the toy back....

Are you reading the posts???

Are you reading the posts???

Indeed.

Your comment: "The new T.S.B. is superseded to 2010 parts. Includes - clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder. " threw me off, though.

I'm not sure what that means, although I'm sure it's clear to others on the board who are more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks for your help.

Indeed.

Your comment: "The new T.S.B. is superseded to 2010 parts. Includes - clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder. " threw me off, though.

I'm not sure what that means, although I'm sure it's clear to others on the board who are more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks for your help.

Here is a detailed thread about the 2010 clutch install: 2010 clutch installed in a 2007 gt500 works!

Indeed.

Thanks for your help.

You are correct, I have it and love it.

You do need a new slave cylinder. The slave is smaller, it does a better job at pushing the fluids through the lines quicker for better clutch release and also like stated the 2010 unit is HUGE so less room.

Here is the difference now, you can either slowly take the clutch out from a start (slip it) or just basically take your foot off the clutch with little throttle and the car just sorta leaps forward but no chattering, just goes.

I am trying to slip it as little as possible \

parts in total cost about $1900

Well, after hearing what people have posted on this forum and doing some other research, I narrowed my clutch kit choices down to the 2010 OEM (has an organic surface I understand) and the SPEC Super Twin (http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/2007-09_Shelby_GT500_SPEC_Super_Twin_Clutch_Kit_%28SS-Trim%29.html - SFG5SST - with the Kevlar/Carbon Fiber surface).

I chose the SPEC product for the following reasons:

2. I'm unimpressed that my OEM clutch is slipping at 25K miles. I have not abused it. I know that the 2010 OEM clutch kit is a different product than the 2007 OEM kit, however if the ceramic surface on the 2007 clutch gave up at 25K miles, how long will the organic surface on the 2010 clutch last? I saw a thread today on this board from a guy with a slipping clutch in his 2010 GT500 at 9,500 miles (has a pulley swap, but says he doesn't abuse it).
  3. The SPEC product has good reviews over the past 2 - 3 years, however the 2010 OEM clutch hasn't been out very long yet.
  4. You can rebuild the SPEC product, so I won't have to replace the entire clutch kit in the future (I hope).
  5. The SPEC product sounded like it would be more likely to withstand some additional mods that would produce more power. Not sure if I'm going to go any further down that road yet, but I shouldn't need to worry about my clutch if I do.

I was able to order the OEM slave cylinder and pilot bearing from the same vendor who sold me the SPEC clutch kit, so I shouldn't have to pay shipping or tax on anything.

I'll probably start work on this in a couple of weeks, and I'll keep everyone posted as to my impressions regarding the install and the way it drives once I'm done.

Thanks again for your help!

Paul

Take it to the Dealer. The new T.S.B. is superseded to 2010 parts. Includes - clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder. If your trans. grinds into gear theres also a trans. repair kit also. Hope this helps you.

100% the truth. Mine is currently at the dealer, having the 2010-2011 kit being installed per the latest TSB. I believe the actual cost is about $1,900. Thank goodness Ford is standing behind their product. This will be my third clutch done under the TSB. The very first time, all new synchros were installed as well. Apparently, everything is ok on that end for now.

Archived