TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gold Stripe Paint Color Code

I did some searching but couldnt find it. I remember somewhere that someone determined what the best color code was to paint the Gold stripe on. My vinyl is all spotty and the only way I have determined to fix it for good is to paint it. Since it is a convertible I am guessing it is pretty reasonable considering new vinyl strip costs and them degrading again in the future.

Can someone help me out with the paint code for the Gold stripe? Thanks!! Casey

P.S. Has anyone painted just the strips and left the ridges without clear coating the whole car. Seems like it would be the same as vinyl strips. OK like this, or any problems?

I did some searching but couldnt find it. I remember somewhere that someone determined what the best color code was to paint the Gold stripe on. My vinyl is all spotty and the only way I have determined to fix it for good is to paint it. Since it is a convertible I am guessing it is pretty reasonable considering new vinyl strip costs and them degrading again in the future.

Can someone help me out with the paint code for the Gold stripe? Thanks!! Casey

P.S. Has anyone painted just the strips and left the ridges without clear coating the whole car. Seems like it would be the same as vinyl strips. OK like this, or any problems?

Case12- I have a set of new stripes (not sides) for an 07 GTH that came with my car. Oracal 951 which is an exact color match and I am going to paint mine on this week. If you are interested $400 and I will be in Libertyville next week on business.

Let me know.

Case12- I have a set of new stripes (not sides) for an 07 GTH that came with my car. Oracal 951 which is an exact color match and I am going to paint mine on this week. If you are interested $400 and I will be in Libertyville next week on business.

Let me know.

I have a 2007GT-H and tbeen thinking of getting my stripes painted when the time comes to replace them, right now thwy are still very good.

If you don’t mind could you tell me what the price is forgetting the stripes painted on?

Thanks

Rich

2007-T #015

Dupont Code for gold paint 409383 from a TS prior post.

Many thanks. I feel bad for not being able to find the prior post. Thanks for helping me.

I think I will let my vinyl stripes go a little longer, and then paint them on. Going with another set of stripes will just get me the same result in the end. Remember, mine is a daily driver - even in the dead of winter here in Chicago. But, I treat my cars right and dont have problems (except the stripes, like most others).

Again, Thanks! Casey

Let me know.

I have a complete set of original GTH stripes that came directly from SAI. The Oracal color code is 851. Unless Oracal changed the numbering system, 951 would be slightly greener than the original stripes. Color 851 was a commercial color not available to most trim / graphic shops. What several Ford dealers and other sellers did was to get the closest thing to the originals which is the 951 color. Hope this helps, Larry

• 2 weeks later...

I have a complete set of original GTH stripes that came directly from SAI. The Oracal color code is 851. Unless Oracal changed the numbering system, 951 would be slightly greener than the original stripes. Color 851 was a commercial color not available to most trim / graphic shops. What several Ford dealers and other sellers did was to get the closest thing to the originals which is the 951 color. Hope this helps, Larry

Guys, 951 is the series.....does anyone know the number? I just took the book out to my car in the sunlight and matched up number 091 gold in the 951M series of Oracal.

Can anyone confirm this? I am in the shop now so as quick as possible would be great! Thanks

Guys, 951 is the series.....does anyone know the number? I just took the book out to my car in the sunlight and matched up number 091 gold in the 951M series of Oracal.

Can anyone confirm this? I am in the shop now so as quick as possible would be great! Thanks

The correct color code is 091. BTW, the correct series is 851. 951 series replaced 851 and 851 is no longer available. If your installer happens to have the correct color in series 851, that would be the original material. The replacement stripes I purchased from Shelby had Series 851 printed on the backing paper.

I'm at work, so I can't check my files. There are only two metallic gold colors available from Oracal and I can't remember which is correct. The color codes are 091 and 925. Compare both and you should be able to figure it out. BTW, the correct series is 851. 951 series replaced 851 and 851 is no longer available. If your installer happens to have the correct color in series 851, that would be the original material. The replacement stripes I purchased from Shelby had Series 851 printed on the backing paper.

The shop is having to special order the 091 out of Atlanta(?). They are going to call me when it comes in and let me know if it matches. The 925 looked to dark (although better) and not original. I had a Hertz car next to me at Mid America this weekend with the darker stripes and it stood out as different. A couple people asked me what it was and it took standing back to notice it.

I have a 2007GT-H and tbeen thinking of getting my stripes painted when the time comes to replace them, right now thwy are still very good.

If you don’t mind could you tell me what the price is forgetting the stripes painted on?

Thanks

Rich

2007-T #015

Rich,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I decided against painting the stripes at a cost of $1800.00. I am getting my car back tomorrow with new stripes and a full outside detail. I have been told the car looks brand new and the stripes(they were a major pain to install) came out perfect. If I get a chance I will load some pictures. Just in time for the Woodward Dream Cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Rich

2007-T #015

Hey Guys, I found information in my stripe package and tracked down the company my stripes came from. The number on the box was 951 and it matched my stripes perfectly. I contacted the company that sold them to the dealer I purchased my GT-H from and they still have Oracal 851 and 951 in stock. Check out the www.decalshoppe.com

Rich,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I decided against painting the stripes at a cost of $1800.00. I am getting my car back tomorrow with new stripes and a full outside detail. I have been told the car looks brand new and the stripes(they were a major pain to install) came out perfect. If I get a chance I will load some pictures. Just in time for the Woodward Dream Cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

417, thanks for the info, $1800 does not sound to expensive, did that price include the side strips as well?

Thanks

Rich

417, thanks for the info, $1800 does not sound to expensive, did that price include the side strips as well?

Thanks

Rich

Rich, $1800 did not include the side stripes. We could not find a single nick in them and the new stripes matched perfectly so we decided to leave them alone. The cost may not be out of line but I figured since I already had a set of original stripes why not use them. If I ever have to replace them again I will have them painted. This would alleviate any long term issues and if anything would enhance the look and value.

Hey Guys, I found information in my stripe package and tracked down the company my stripes came from. The number on the box was 951 and it matched my stripes perfectly. I contacted the company that sold them to the dealer I purchased my GT-H from and they still have Oracal 851 and 951 in stock. Check out the www.decalshoppe.com

I would recommend that anyone replacing their GTH vinyl stripes purchase them from SAI to guarantee a correct color match. Any stripes supplied by a car dealer are suspect unless the dealer has an invoice from SAI. The process of stripe removal and installation is too expensive to take a chance buying questionable aftermarket stripes just to save a few bucks. The SAI stripes will hold up fine if the car is garaged and normal cleaning is done. If you are going to leave the car sit outside and is a daily driver, then painted stripes may be a good alternative. Just one person's opinion. Larry

I would recommend that anyone replacing their GTH vinyl stripes purchase them from SAI to guarantee a correct color match. Any stripes supplied by a car dealer are suspect unless the dealer has an invoice from SAI. The process of stripe removal and installation is too expensive to take a chance buying questionable aftermarket stripes just to save a few bucks. The SAI stripes will hold up fine if the car is garaged and normal cleaning is done. If you are going to leave the car sit outside and is a daily driver, then painted stripes may be a good alternative. Just one person's opinion. Larry

Larry,

Most of us would buy the stripe kit from Shelby (if they had it). Unfortunately they are out and don't foresee getting any more in. It's not about cost anymore, it's about product. This is truly a ridiculous situation for all involved and Shelby seems to want to wash there hands of it.

Having said that, if you have some inside connections that know where the Shelby guys are hiding some stripe kits, please let us know!

Larry,

Most of us would buy the stripe kit from Shelby (if they had it). Unfortunately they are out and don't foresee getting any more in. It's not about cost anymore, it's about product. This is truly a ridiculous situation for all involved and Shelby seems to want to wash there hands of it.

Having said that, if you have some inside connections that know where the Shelby guys are hiding some stripe kits, please let us know!

I was wondering when Shelby would run out of stripes. My guess is since Shelby can't make the 'original' stripes anymore (because the original Oracal series 851 material is discontinued), they are not going to make them. The replacement 951 series material is close, but not an exact match, especially in direct sunlight (like at a car show). The replacement material is also difficult to install and does not like to go around any curves or be stretched.

Archived