TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Project Mustang GT vs. Shelby GT500, Part 1

The only problem is that one has a bumper to bumper warranty and one does not. I think the average person will have a lot more labor tied up in a project like that.

Also, drop a few extra $$ in the GT500 and you have a reliable 600 hp rocket. Try that with a GT and you better have a large bucket handy to collect the parts that will scatter.

I think that with all things considered (not just HP), the GT500 is a good value even with the ADM.

The only problem is that one has a bumper to bumper warranty and one does not. I think the average person will have a lot more labor tied up in a project like that.

Also, drop a few extra $$ in the GT500 and you have a reliable 600 hp rocket. Try that with a GT and you better have a large bucket handy to collect the parts that will scatter.

I think that with all things considered (not just HP), the GT500 is a good value even with the ADM.

Agreed. It's the same battle someone like me, with a v6, has in keeping up with someone with a GT. Can it be done? Sure... but you sacrifice your warranty, push your engine to its limit, and still lose if the other guy has done any mods as well.

- Tony

hey Rat ... exactly the way I feel too

Racing cars myself .... I have a SHO that has 13 cobra rotors on it and calipers ... I have a $1500 positraction differential made by a company called Quaife and the reason for stating this is that Ford did it right with the Shelby

They have the the motor built to withstand 500 hp .. ie rods .. main bearings .. forged pistons .. etc ... and probably alot more .. closer to 600-700 hp.

The tranny is race proven .... the rear end is bullit proof and the brakes .. and 14" Brembos .... etc

Im in no way cutting the GT project down that Edmunds is doing .. but you take the $10,000 extra for a fully loaded GT ... your close to $40,000 ..... if not a tad over.

Granted you cant buy a Shelby for $41,000 or so .. but thats what Ford is building them and selling them for retail ( $43,500 + )

I too am interested in the comparison for next week. But you take a few thousand dollars .. for suspension tweeks and HP tweeks ... your Shelby ... would blow almost anything away on a track

dond

I'll take the Shelby myself for a few reasons (6 speed tranny, bigger block, it's a Shelby, etc) but it's cool to see this out there. And it's good for Ford too. I would not have expected it from this source though. One thing to keep in mind is there are a lot of ways to get there (where ever there is). The GT is still a great car and great value. I would not have any problem sugesting my family and friends look into them (in fact I do) and they will never mod what ever car they buy even if you give them this roadmap to get to a higher level.

I think this may be an article as much for fun for them as anything but all those people with a GT from 2005/2006 that like to work on their cars are probably really interested. I hope they will do something like this with a Shelby GT500 when they come out with what ever the next beast will be in 2012 or when ever with 600+ stock HP.

Edit - this is just speculation - nothing to base it on

Archived