TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch Is Slipping

My clutch has started slipping, and I'm wonder what you guys would recommend.

I have 25K miles on it, and I really haven't abused this car. I do have a CAI/tune, and, with the axle backs, it's probably making 630 HP at the flywheel.

The Ford dealer here said a new clutch assembly is $1,800, and they will charge $720 for labor. I have the OEM service manual, and the clutch replacement looks like something I can do myself.

So, my questions for you guys are:

1. Should I go with the OEM clutch assembly or an aftermarket part?

2. If aftermarket, which one would you recommend for someone who doesn't track or drag race his car?

3. I am reasonably mechanically inclined, have the OEM service manual, the right tools, and have changed a clutch or two over the years. Any reason you think I should let a pro change the clutch?

4. If I take my CAI off and revert my tune to stock, would the dealer cover a clutch replacement under warranty?

Thanks for your help. I did a search and found a number of posts regarding clutch chatter and clutch drag, but I didn't see much recently about a worn out, slipping clutch.

Paul

My clutch has started slipping, and I'm wonder what you guys would recommend.

I have 25K miles on it, and I really haven't abused this car. I do have a CAI/tune, and, with the axle backs, it's probably making 630 HP at the flywheel.

The Ford dealer here said a new clutch assembly is $1,800, and they will charge $720 for labor. I have the OEM service manual, and the clutch replacement looks like something I can do myself.

So, my questions for you guys are:

1. Should I go with the OEM clutch assembly or an aftermarket part?

2. If aftermarket, which one would you recommend for someone who doesn't track or drag race his car?

3. I am reasonably mechanically inclined, have the OEM service manual, the right tools, and have changed a clutch or two over the years. Any reason you think I should let a pro change the clutch?

4. If I take my CAI off and revert my tune to stock, would the dealer cover a clutch replacement under warranty?

Thanks for your help. I did a search and found a number of posts regarding clutch chatter and clutch drag, but I didn't see much recently about a worn out, slipping clutch.

Paul

Do not put in a replacement 2007-2009 clutch. They are utter crap. If you can get the dealer to do a warranty replacement with the latest TSB 2010 Clutch. This would be perfect. Otherwise you will most likely want to go with the Spec SS or Mcleod setup.

Thanks for the repliies, guys.

Anyone have any experience with the SPEC clutches? I see them listed for sale on the Shelby site, and the Stage 3+ looked like a good fit for me. It's also 1/3 the price of the OEM unit.

Thanks in advance.

We've beat the hell out of a lot of clutches here at Shelby - the Spec. clutches simply hold up the best.

Archived