TEAM SHELBY FORUM

appearance envy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your GT-H looks great!! I think the GT-500 spoiler is a good match on the convertibles. Did they have to repaint the front end and hood when the paint lifted? I had all sort of problems with my GT-H. The paint lifted, BUT at some point I discovered Hertz had repainted the nose and hood. Disappointing considering it was only in the rental fleet from June '06 to Dec '06! I just finished mine on Friday. Eighteen months, two different shops, repainted the hood twice, restriped the hood and sides twice, restriped the rest of the car once, and spend 1000's :banghead::banghead: Mine finally looks fantastic. :banvictory:

Your GT-H looks great!! I think the GT-500 spoiler is a good match on the convertibles. Did they have to repaint the front end and hood when the paint lifted? I had all sort of problems with my GT-H. The paint lifted, BUT at some point I discovered Hertz had repainted the nose and hood. Disappointing considering it was only in the rental fleet from June '06 to Dec '06! I just finished mine on Friday. Eighteen months, two different shops, repainted the hood twice, restriped the hood and sides twice, restriped the rest of the car once, and spend 1000's :banghead::banghead: Mine finally looks fantastic. :banvictory:

They did a repaint on the hood. Not much I could do about that. They did get an "eraser" to take of the rest of the stripes. I have pics of that as well. Funny how easy things can go with the right equipment!

I have to admit, If I lived in Colorado I would have taken the car in for a total repaint. I was watching our fellow GTH owners paint job thread and was very impressed.

post-25425-127890714949_thumb.jpg

post-25425-127890717038_thumb.jpg

post-25425-127890714949_thumb.jpg

post-25425-127890717038_thumb.jpg

She's done....I like it quite a bit. I actually liked it a lot without the tail but I have no desire to fill the holes or plug them.

I'll store the original tail and enjoy this for a while!

Not a wing man, but I must say it looks good.

• 2 months later...

I'm fine with all the exterior appearance items of the car, which is odd for me because as soon as I get a car I usually start modding it. Only 2 things I'd change if I could... make the hood vent functional, and add a supercharger.

i agree!!

• 4 weeks later...

I was cleaning the GT-H today and realized what has been bothering me all this time.

I can't stand having a V-6 tail and faux gas cap on my Shelby. Of course, I don't want to change anything from original so I guess I'm stuck.

So, what to do? I guess I'll just deal with it and move on BUT.........if I were to change it, I would put the GT500 tail on it and the faux gas cap with the shelby GT snake emblem. Also, I have to say that I wish Shelby had stayed with the black razors that were on the prototype.

The question to all of my fellow Hertz and Shelby friends is this. What do you all think of these things and what would you have changed given the chance?

We sent number 64 in for new paint to clean up the few nicks and dings from its 9983 miles as a rental and stock strips ( 9/9/2010 it came out of the shop 9/30/2010 ) and is like a new car ,New babges, New Shelby lettering , New floor mats , New GT-H wheel centers . New motor cap set .Hoping to some day send it in to SAI for the Paxton and maybe the interior upgrade.As for the rims staying stock. Cant wait to meet up with some other people that own GT-H's in Ca. And still looking for any info on this car s a rental. ") ( 2006 hardtop not sure what im doing posting in the 2007 post space , but someone asked what i thought )

• 4 weeks later...

Life is short enjoy it you earn the right....just don't change anything you can't put back

Wolfie :happy feet:

I can't stand having a V-6 tail and faux gas cap on my Shelby. Of course, I don't want to change anything from original so I guess I'm stuck.

So, what to do? I guess I'll just deal with it and move on BUT.........if I were to change it, I would put the GT500 tail on it and the faux gas cap with the shelby GT snake emblem. Also, I have to say that I wish Shelby had stayed with the black razors that were on the prototype.

The question to all of my fellow Hertz and Shelby friends is this. What do you all think of these things and what would you have changed given the chance?

can't stand having a V-6 tail and faux gas cap on my Shelby. Of course, I don't want to change anything from original so I guess I'm stuck.

wolfie, what do you mean by v-6 tail..(you mean v-8?) unless i just have not paid that much attention. or are you talking about the wing? i get the faux gas cap. i actually like the mustang better than the gt. i like the cs logo myself. and i did change the wheels went with a magnum 500 18x9 all around. but now would have perferred the cs 69's but at time only had 20's and i am not a fan of the 20's for my own cars. now they have 18's just not going to spend the money right now. unless i sell somehting.

Has anyone switched the faux cap to the CS version. How does it look? Are you happy with it. That is the only change I would make to a GTH (oh - and I went with sequential tail lights too :shift: ) Casey

The "CS" faux gas cap I used was the one that just goes over the "GT" part of the cap. The all metal center CS disk is held on by double face tape. This is an easy conversion as you do not have to remove the original faux gas cap assembly. I believe it is still available from SAI. As a side note, the "CS" faux gas cap was used on the concept GT-H car that SAI presented for Hertz approval at the Ford Styling Studios.

The "CS" faux gas cap I used was the one that just goes over the "GT" part of the cap. The all metal center CS disk is held on by double face tape. This is an easy conversion as you do not have to remove the original faux gas cap assembly. I believe it is still available from SAI. As a side note, the "CS" faux gas cap was used on the concept GT-H car that SAI presented for Hertz approval at the Ford Styling Studios.

Nice. I ordered one just now. Wonder why they didnt stick with the concept version - probably a FORD thing.

Seems like a simple mod that will make a difference.

Question - does the pony center have to come off to put the CS center on? Or does the CS center just go over the top of the pony center?

Nice. I ordered one just now. Wonder why they didnt stick with the concept version - probably a FORD thing.

Question - does the pony center have to come off to put the CS center on? Or does the CS center just go over the top of the pony center?

The CS emblem goes over the Mustang emblem. Be careful to center the CS emblem as the adhesive is really sticky and you may damage the thin CS emblem if you have to re-adjust.

take a snap shot and post pic when you get installed.

• 2 weeks later...

The CS emblem goes over the Mustang emblem. Be careful to center the CS emblem as the adhesive is really sticky and you may damage the thin CS emblem if you have to re-adjust.

Right you are! I tried to put mine on this weekend with the help of a family member standing 10 feet back. And it was at least 1/2 inch crooked. I wont use that family member again - boy was I mad. The best I could do was pry it off with a screw driver - which ,as you said, ripped it all up.

I have another one on order again, and this time I better get it right!

BTW, It looked very good. Just crooked. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to have something different than the pony on the GTH. Casey

• 2 weeks later...

I got it right this time and it looks great. I highly recommend it. Fairly cheap mod ($28 with shipping) that makes a big difference. Casey

.....now I have ordered the GTH wheel center caps.

Casey, now what you need are the black / gold GT-H floor mats. Then of course you will be needing the GT-H engine cap set, and while you are at it you should order.......don't you just love these cars !!

Modifications that can be easily reversed to to stock are a personal preference and wouldn't affect the value much, and would be encouraged if you, the owner, enjoyed the car much more because of the changes. The GT-500 spoiler (Ford factory and NOT aftermarket) actually will bolt onto the GTH trunk lid using the same holes as the V-6 spoiler. Easy install and it isn't necessary to use the 3M double face tape, just use the four attaching bolts. The Faux gas cap is even easier, remove the old one and put the snake or CS one on your GTH.Both of these parts are available from SAI. Now you've got what you wanted. Change your mind and no problem putting back the original V-6 parts. As far as the wheels and tires go, an expensive change but just save the original 17" rims. The 17" rims were an after thought anyway, when Ford couldn't supply enough 18" rims in time for the 2006 GTH. Bottom line, it's your car, so it's your choice. My GTH is stock, by SGT is not. Just say'n Larry

+1

Enjoy your car and dont worry about resale.

Casey, now what you need are the black / gold GT-H floor mats. Then of course you will be needing the GT-H engine cap set, and while you are at it you should order.......don't you just love these cars !!

I have the mats. But just couldnt bring myself to shell out the cash for the engine cap set. I did give it serious thought. Casey

Archived