TEAM SHELBY FORUM

appearance envy

I was cleaning the GT-H today and realized what has been bothering me all this time.

I can't stand having a V-6 tail and faux gas cap on my Shelby. Of course, I don't want to change anything from original so I guess I'm stuck.

So, what to do? I guess I'll just deal with it and move on BUT.........if I were to change it, I would put the GT500 tail on it and the faux gas cap with the shelby GT snake emblem. Also, I have to say that I wish Shelby had stayed with the black razors that were on the prototype.

The question to all of my fellow Hertz and Shelby friends is this. What do you all think of these things and what would you have changed given the chance?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly wouldn't change a thing.

It is a unique model that stands by itself.

Paint the stripes, and maybe add a few more interior cues but in saying that I am sure glad that I have one.

The only appearance items I'd like to change would be adding the 20" black Razors and Shelby/Baer brake package. I don't have the budget to mod it out right now, so I went ahead and replaced my rental damaged rims, worn out tires and rear brakes with new stock pieces for the time being.

Maybe after repairing the 57k miles of rental service wear and tear I'll come into some money to get a repaint and a Paxton! I can always dream, right?

The only appearance items I'd like to change would be adding the 20" black Razors and Shelby/Baer brake package. I don't have the budget to mod it out right now, so I went ahead and replaced my rental damaged rims, worn out tires and rear brakes with new stock pieces for the time being.

Maybe after repairing the 57k miles of rental service wear and tear I'll come into some money to get a repaint and a Paxton! I can always dream, right?

Personally, I prefer the 2006 Hertz wheels. I'm not a fan at all of blacked-out wheels. The rear spoiler is a nice touch and I'd keep it, as the regular SGT's came without one. Rear spoilers on high-performance Mustangs are very nostalgic - if you like them.

Paint the stripes, and maybe add a few more interior cues but in saying that I am sure glad that I have one.

I agree with the stripe idea. I went to Vegas a couple of weeks ago looking at the 350. Shelby is charging 4500 extra for a painted stripe package on that car so I can see why they did the vinyl..........

I think the 20 inch razors really look great. I kept the stock wheels if I put it back stock someday or sell it. I put taillight trim around the back and added sequential turn signals. I think that helped out the back.

Bob

I was cleaning the GT-H today and realized what has been bothering me all this time.

I can't stand having a V-6 tail and faux gas cap on my Shelby. Of course, I don't want to change anything from original so I guess I'm stuck.

So, what to do? I guess I'll just deal with it and move on BUT.........if I were to change it, I would put the GT500 tail on it and the faux gas cap with the shelby GT snake emblem. Also, I have to say that I wish Shelby had stayed with the black razors that were on the prototype.

The question to all of my fellow Hertz and Shelby friends is this. What do you all think of these things and what would you have changed given the chance?

Modifications that can be easily reversed to to stock are a personal preference and wouldn't affect the value much, and would be encouraged if you, the owner, enjoyed the car much more because of the changes. The GT-500 spoiler (Ford factory and NOT aftermarket) actually will bolt onto the GTH trunk lid using the same holes as the V-6 spoiler. Easy install and it isn't necessary to use the 3M double face tape, just use the four attaching bolts. The Faux gas cap is even easier, remove the old one and put the snake or CS one on your GTH.Both of these parts are available from SAI. Now you've got what you wanted. Change your mind and no problem putting back the original V-6 parts. As far as the wheels and tires go, an expensive change but just save the original 17" rims. The 17" rims were an after thought anyway, when Ford couldn't supply enough 18" rims in time for the 2006 GTH. Bottom line, it's your car, so it's your choice. My GTH is stock, by SGT is not. Just say'n Larry

Modifications that can be easily reversed to to stock are a personal preference and wouldn't affect the value much, and would be encouraged if you, the owner, enjoyed the car much more because of the changes. The GT-500 spoiler (Ford factory and NOT aftermarket) actually will bolt onto the GTH trunk lid using the same holes as the V-6 spoiler. Easy install and it isn't necessary to use the 3M double face tape, just use the four attaching bolts. The Faux gas cap is even easier, remove the old one and put the snake or CS one on your GTH.Both of these parts are available from SAI. Now you've got what you wanted. Change your mind and no problem putting back the original V-6 parts. As far as the wheels and tires go, an expensive change but just save the original 17" rims. The 17" rims were an after thought anyway, when Ford couldn't supply enough 18" rims in time for the 2006 GTH. Bottom line, it's your car, so it's your choice. My GTH is stock, by SGT is not. Just say'n Larry

Larry,

It's like I just climbed a mountain and you showed me the light....thanks. As you can imagine, I never asked the right people the question. I think I will go with the gas cap but I still feel wrong changing the spoiler and if I were asked at a show, I wouldn't be able to justify it.

I don't care for the V6 spoiler on my KR and have thought about replacing it with the GT500 spoiler.

Funny! After seeing the KR I decided to get the same spoiler rather than the larger GT500 spoiler and I'm always getting compliments! It's a nice middle ground between the BIG GT500 spoiler and spoiler delete. The GT500 spoiler takes up a nice chunk of your rear view too I noticed when I drove a GT500. I'm happy with the "KR" spoiler! ;-)

I added sequential tail lights. Added GTH floor mats (originals in trunk). Added GT Snake headrests - look great with top down (originals in trunk). Added cigar light plug with snake on it (kept the old one, but this was a striking mod for little money). I thought about the faux gas cap and tried to order one, but SAI wouldnt let me - they told me they are only for GT's and I have to provide a GT CSM. I gave them the GTH CSM, but they said no. I was on the fence about making such a bold change, so I just let it drop. Have fun, but make sure you can always change it back. Casey

Not a 2007 but I also made some mods. See signature. Just enjoy the car and do tastful mods that you can put back to stock if so desired..

How do you like the Shelby Gauges ?? Were they difficult to install ?? Any cutting of the car ?? thanks, Larry

How do you like the Shelby Gauges ?? Were they difficult to install ?? Any cutting of the car ?? thanks, Larry

I had Shelby install when they did the Paxton. No cutting of the dash. On the SGT tech site there is a install thread.

'06 GT-H 242 is going in Monday for painted stripes and I'm adding the GT500 spoiler while I'm at it. I have always loved the GT500 spoiler from the rear and the lack of stripes on our factory GT-H spoiler drives me absolutely nuts. I also run the 18" polished Bullit wheels and it really ties the chrome grille and polished bits together. Subtly different, but looks great.

'06 GT-H 242 is going in Monday for painted stripes and I'm adding the GT500 spoiler while I'm at it. I have always loved the GT500 spoiler from the rear and the lack of stripes on our factory GT-H spoiler drives me absolutely nuts. I also run the 18" polished Bullit wheels and it really ties the chrome grille and polished bits together. Subtly different, but looks great.

You've got to post pictures when you get her back!

Sounds like we have the same thoughts on the spoiler. I can't wait to see the results of your mod. Any chance you're taking it to Tulsa?

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go. I had the GT500 spoiler added and put new "correct" stripes on the car. I think it looks really good and of course I kept the original spoiler.

I tried to get the faux gas cap emblem but SPP wouldn't let me.........any suggestions Larry?

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58141-trunk-lock-cap/

The pics were the decision phase. It isn't screwed on yet and the stripes are just laid over.

So let me have it guys, what do you think?

post-25425-127751638926_thumb.jpg

post-25425-127751640352_thumb.jpg

post-25425-127751638926_thumb.jpg

post-25425-127751640352_thumb.jpg

Here we go. I had the GT500 spoiler added and put new "correct" stripes on the car. I think it looks really good and of course I kept the original spoiler.

I tried to get the faux gas cap emblem but SPP wouldn't let me.........any suggestions Larry?

The pics were the decision phase. It isn't screwed on yet and the stripes are just laid over.

I do not like the GTH spoiler/wing. But it came with one so be it. Your GT 500 spoiler looks good. If you like it go for it. Just keep the original. I assume the holes match. I may some day get a used trunk lid and go wingless. I to would keep the original trunk and wing.

Good luck on your decision.

I would contact Robert or Sharon directly and get a clarification on the SAI policy regarding the gas cap.

Looks like I will have no problem buying the CS super charged cap since my car was super charged. The SGT cap is exclusive to the SGT. That is what I was told when I asked just for curiosity sake. Makes sense to me. I think the CS cap would look nice. Just something to consider.

Problem #1,

the paint came up with the stripes on the hood. Going to have to repaint it now. It's always something.

Same problem here. Also, with your GT-500 spoiler, sit in the car and look out the back. Surprisingly, the GT500 blocks a lot of the rear view compared to the original spoiler. You might not like that.

Same problem here. Also, with your GT-500 spoiler, sit in the car and look out the back. Surprisingly, the GT500 blocks a lot of the rear view compared to the original spoiler. You might not like that.

I'll take a look at that. I didnt think to check the vision issue. Thanks!

Here's the paint coming up..... This is driving me crazy.

The shop is very good but I'm having trouble with the explanation I'm getting. They feel the second layer of primer was applied too soon and it's separating. Have any of you paint guys heard of this problem from shelby? He showed me a few rough spots in the crease of the hood but I have no experience with paint so I'm hoping for the best. So far it looks good on the prep.

post-25425-127817070246_thumb.jpg

post-25425-127817072198_thumb.jpg

post-25425-127817070246_thumb.jpg

post-25425-127817072198_thumb.jpg

I'll take a look at that. I didnt think to check the vision issue. Thanks!

Vision is fine. Actually it's a much better view. I really like the spoiler. Thanks to all of the SGT guys that did this and liked it. Now if only I could solve the GT-H snake faux gas cap issue. It sucks sitting at a car show and having SGT backside envy!

Archived