TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Changed?

Originally the SS was rated at 605+ and 700+. Now the SS is rated at 630+ and 750+. Does anyone know what actually changed to increase the HP?

The answer to the question can be found here on page 2. Click on the link and then zoom the page. Look under options...

http://shelbyautos.com/catalog/#/2

As far as the FRPP TVS blower application on the 2010, while the TVS blower is the same as the ones on the 2007/2009 605 SS cars, FRPP changed the tune and extracted another 55 H.P. out of it.

If my logic is correct, the first numbers are for the 2007-2009 SS, the second set of numbers are for the 2010.

The SA website now lists the following for the 2007-2009 Super Snake flyer:

"The Shelby name has brought unparalleled quality and performance to motorsports for over 40 years. Shelby Automobiles brings you the Shelby GT 500 Super Snake package for your existing 2007 - 2009 Shelby GT 500. The upgrade offers 630+ or 750+ Horsepower (750+ HP Coupe Only) and sleek looks only Shelby can bring you."

I have a copy of very similar flyer, but with ratings of 600+ and 700+ HP. All the upgrade options listed seem to be the same. I am just curious as what constituted the horse power increase. Was it a change of muffler, tune or something else which isn't specifically identified in the flyer?

The SA website now lists the following for the 2007-2009 Super Snake flyer:

"The Shelby name has brought unparalleled quality and performance to motorsports for over 40 years. Shelby Automobiles brings you the Shelby GT 500 Super Snake package for your existing 2007 - 2009 Shelby GT 500. The upgrade offers 630+ or 750+ Horsepower (750+ HP Coupe Only) and sleek looks only Shelby can bring you."

I have a copy of very similar flyer, but with ratings of 600+ and 700+ HP. All the upgrade options listed seem to be the same. I am just curious as what constituted the horse power increase. Was it a change of muffler, tune or something else which isn't specifically identified in the flyer?

I asked this same question on one of the previous 2010 Super Snake difference discussions, "what has changed with the KB set-up for the extra ponies?" Roger or Robert, from SA responded that the tune has been changed.

R

I asked this same question on one of the previous 2010 Super Snake difference discussions, "what has changed with the KB set-up for the extra ponies?" Roger or Robert, from SA responded that the tune has been changed.

R

Attending car shows and interacting with people you get asked all kinds of questions. I'm just trying to be equipped to answer them as best I can.

I can understand the differences between 2007-09 and 2010-11. I guess the heart of my question is for the 2007-2009 Model year Super Snakes with the 6??+ hp rating.

http://shelbyautos.com/catalog/#/4

The Catalog now shows 630+ hp. Originally this information was listed as 600+. The list of materials appears to be the same as when they were rated at 600+. The TVS blower is still rated as a 605hp upgrade through FRPP. Did they change the tune on the TVS equipped Super Snakes? Did they change the exhaust, etc.? Did they find through dyno testing they were underrated?

605 HP until a tune change in 2009 model run. 660 for 2010 up. Hope this helps.

Roger

Thank you Roger. I appreciate the info.

For clarity, the primary difference between the "old" tunes and the new ones are knock sensors. The 2010-2011 500's have additional knock sensors that the 2007-2009 MY cars (engines) don't have. Applying a 2010 tune to a 2007-2009, 605 or 725 H.P. tune would potentally cause damage to the engine due to severe detonation.

Owners of 605/725 H.P. Super Snakes should look at other traditional engine modifications (smaller pulley, intake port matching, blower blueprinting, etc, etc) to extract additional H.P. from their engines.

The above information and recommendations came directly from SVT.

Strictly for education purposes, here's a picture of a larger pulley on a restored and modified Cougar with big cams.. :hysterical::hysterical:

post-4213-127601807448_thumb.jpg

For clarity, the primary difference between the "old" tunes and the new ones are knock sensors. The 2010-2011 500's have additional knock sensors that the 2007-2009 MY cars (engines) don't have. Applying a 2010 tune to a 2007-2009, 605 or 725 H.P. tune would potentally cause damage to the engine due to severe detonation.

Owners of 605/725 H.P. Super Snakes should look at other traditional engine modifications (smaller pulley, intake port matching, blower blueprinting, etc, etc) to extract additional H.P. from their engines.

Strictly for education purposes, here's a picture of a larger pulley on a restored and modified Cougar with big cams.. :hysterical::hysterical:

Big Pulley.jpg

Really nice pulley , large grind cams too!!

I had this talk with Kenny Bell over a year ago, and they said Shelby was simply understating the actual power.

They told me it is actually near 790, Shelby still has room to move up if they desire.

I had this talk with Kenny Bell over a year ago, and they said Shelby was simply understating the actual power.

They told me it is actually near 790, Shelby still has room to move up if they desire.

That sounds realistic, the 2007 and 2008 725's that have chassis dyno'ed (3-4 different cars) showed 632-638 at the rear wheels, with one posting a 619 or 622 (I don't remember) posted by another owner. The 2010 750 horse that was recently tested by Motor Trend and chassis dyno'ed during that same magazine test posted a 635 number at the rear wheels. The 632-638h.p. numbers were 725's, the 635h.p. was a 750. The 632-638's were a 2.8H KB, the 635 was the Ford Racing 750 horse Whipple, I am not sure of it's size, maybe 3.4? or 4.0? I am not sure, but I am told it is not the 2.9.

Now the little 2.8H KB is at that same 750 horse!! and the 3.6LC KB, it only gets stronger!!

R

restored and modified :hysterical:

That sounds realistic, the 2007 and 2008 725's that have chassis dyno'ed (3-4 different cars) showed 632-638 at the rear wheels, with one posting a 619 or 622 (I don't remember) posted by another owner. The 2010 750 horse that was recently tested by Motor Trend and chassis dyno'ed during that same magazine test posted a 635 number at the rear wheels. The 632-638h.p. numbers were 725's, the 635h.p. was a 750. The 632-638's were a 2.8H KB, the 635 was the Ford Racing 750 horse Whipple, I am not sure of it's size, maybe 3.4? or 4.0? I am not sure, but I am told it is not the 2.9.

Now the little 2.8H KB is at that same 750 horse!! and the 3.6LC KB, it only gets stronger!!

R

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want add to my comments above. Yes, I have been told on another forum that the 750 h.p. Ford Racing S/C kit is the 2.9L Whipple, this has been verified on the Ford Racing site, so, the one 2010 750 horse Super Snake that I have seen chassis dyno'ed in Motor Trend posted numbers that were the same as the 2.8H KB at the 725 level from the multiple 2007 and 2008 Super Snakes that have been chassis dyno'ed, and now the 725 KB has been retuned to 750 horse.

R

Strictly for education purposes, here's a picture of a larger pulley on a restored and modified Cougar with big cams..[/font] [/size] :hysterical::hysterical:

Wow, and TWIN CAMS too!

At the rate she's going now, they may eventually be "Overhead Twin Cams"!

Oh yeah, you need to get your nominclature straight....there is a difference between a Cougar and a MILF.

Yer welcome,

Phill

Wow, and TWIN CAMS too!

At the rate she's going now, they may eventually be "Overhead Twin Cams"!

Oh yeah, you need to get your nominclature straight....there is a difference between a Cougar and a MILF.

Yer welcome,

Phill

No Phill, in my book I got it right. Most MILF's are also Cougars becuase I do not believe that Cougars can't be mother's too. Either way, when they look like the gal in the picture, all bets are off because I'm going in! :hysterical:

Archived