TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I may need to store my car if I take on a out of state project. Any special considerations that I should consider if I need to do this 11 or 12 month storage?

Car will be kept in a garage. No snow or real freezing concerns. Car can be started up and warmed up if need be.

I may need to store my car if I take on a out of state project. Any special considerations that I should consider if I need to do this 11 or 12 month storage?

Car will be kept in a garage. No snow or real freezing concerns. Car can be started up and warmed up if need be.

Fuel stabilizer, car cover, battery tender and either jack stands or tire plates.

Probably a good idea to start it up once a month or so and let her idle for 5-10 minutes just to circulate oil through the top of the engine. I know in certain climates, the winter temperature difference and block heat can lead to condensation buildup on short warm ups, but that shouldn't be a problem in most of California. Keeping the engine lubricated more than offsets that concern IMO.

Thanks, I asume no need to start up, just let her sit? I know I do the fuel stabilizer and a fresh oil change in my ski boat and run before I store it.

As far as tire plates, what is that?

Here is one type that is offered

http://www.discountramps.com/flat-stoppers.htm?CAWELAID=298240572

hope this helps

My car tires have a flat spot on them for about a mile if I let the car sit for a few months. Does anyone know if this hurt the cord on the tires? Also, I was a believer of not starting the car up, just changing the oil and letting it sit, not starting it and rotting out the mufflers. The last 2 cars I left sitting for a couple of years did not use oil before but do now. I start everything up an run it every few months now. Something to think about.

starting up the car and letting it warm up isn't going to do much more than waste gas. You need to drive it for it to do any good. Better to just let it sit and use a battery trickle charger.

I've also heard that having synthetic oil in helps.

Archived