TEAM SHELBY FORUM

It's Here!

2011SVT

Don't like the "Jenny Craig" stripes :hysterical: . Just like the color combo.

Not sure why but for some reason the outline stripe looks ok. And in person it looks good also. I was unsure about the outline at first, but local dealer has a Red w/ White stripes w/ Black outline.

One thing I do like for sure is the rocker stripe. Looks better as one solid stripe vs. the 2 stripe look.

Todd

Very true about the "in person" statement. So often something looks "just OK" in a picture, but looks GREAT in person. I suspect this to be the case on the "Jenny Craig" stripes.

The rocker stripe on mine had to go, though. Every time I looked at the side of my car it screamed out, "Look at me, I'm a Veeee-6". However, I didn't want to loose the GT 500 designation, so I had a sign shop make me a custom vinyl decal. Now she looks angry...

861164558_MBNi3-XL.jpg

Very true about the "in person" statement. So often something looks "just OK" in a picture, but looks GREAT in person. I suspect this to be the case on the "Jenny Craig" stripes.

The rocker stripe on mine had to go, though. Every time I looked at the side of my car it screamed out, "Look at me, I'm a Veeee-6". However, I didn't want to loose the GT 500 designation, so I had a sign shop make me a custom vinyl decal. Now she looks angry...

861164558_MBNi3-XL.jpg

Your car is sick looking !!!!!!!!!!! Very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: She has not been to the detailers yet. Got most of the accumulated dust and bird sh*t off from nearly seven weeks of parking lot rot. Grrr...

Points of interest:

- Photo 2: Can't see it very well but the silver pinstripes on the outside of the red are definitely metallic. Sharp.

- Photo 3: The new wheel well lining kind of feels like old timey trunk liner. Not quite fuzzy but definitely textured.

- Photo 4: Someone was asking if the tips looked outsized. I don't think so but opinions may vary.

post-27674-127484152849_thumb.jpgpost-27674-127484156416_thumb.jpgpost-27674-127484162976_thumb.jpgpost-27674-127484164468_thumb.jpg

Great car !!! I love the red on black combo. I have to admit the skinny stripes are growing on me..... CONGRATS!!

How about a review on the car. I see you have one in the garage that you can maybe compare it to. Any info would help the rest of us that are on the fence. Thanks!!!!!

Here you go:

Some Background

I purchased my current 2007 GT/CS in the fall of '06 and immediately threw away the warranty. First up was a change to the mufflers followed pretty quickly by the standard CAI and Tune upgrade, 4.10 gears, Hurst short throw, and an aluminum driveshaft. Installation of an intercooled Saleen twin screw happened within that first year (432 rwhp on its 'everyday' tune) and then we started down the long, sad, expensive road into building a reasonably capable weekend road racer while still using her as a daily driver 365/7.

Springs, adjustable dampers, solid jointed LCAs/UCA, swaybars, endlinks, 9.5" lightweight wheels and dual use BFG KDW tires on all four corners, ad nauseum.... Chasing (and catching) that elusive 'neutral handling', "predictable", "quick turn-in without being darty', and "brakes that won't melt" thing.

Have done some autocrossing and road racing in the time since and am very satisifed with what Ford built and I tinkered with. Needs mo' powah and taller gearing for that long back dog leg at Mid Ohio though :).

So that's my 'control' in this little evaluation.

I picked up my 2011 GT500 with SVT Performance Pack from the dealer on Tuesday night and performed these tests on Wednesday night. As Patricia Heaton once said about her four sons being born in quick succession, "My husband is no gentleman".

Launching

After catching up on my forum and media site reading (Edmund's, Autoblog, etc.) seemed everyone agreed that the best times for 2010s were a result of launching with the TC on and it didn't matter what you had the ESC set to. Fair enough.

9:00 PM, 77 degrees, on a deserted road in Mexico....

First launch - We'll engage the clutch fairly aggressively a split second after coming off idle and mashing the gas.

Whoa! Bogged it.

Bogged it? On street tires? This never happened to me with my GT. When I had 3.55 gears, the BFG KDWS all seasons were hard enough that they would just skate. When I had good rubber (KDWs) and suspension mods but 4.10s and 10 lbs. of boost, I could still blow those tires off at will. Definitely took some finesse to get a decent 60'.

Hey, maybe these 'G:2s' are a little sticky and/or this performance suspension has got something for the straight line guys (or both)?

Second launch - Take it to 2,500 and again nail it and step out of the clutch quickly. Spin but then grab. Some good, usable power band in first gear. Hit second, spin, tries to drift a little left, grabs, corrected. Really pushed back into the seat as we climb towards 6,000 RPM. Bang. Third. Not a peep just more smooth thrust.

Third launch - Hold it at 3,500 and side step the clutch. Wanted to see what a more aggressive start felt like. Predictably, we spun through first, peddled it a bit to catch second and recovered nicely enough but probably not the best technique to be employed at Mexican stoplights.

Here is the best part:

Wheel hop non-existent. Tried a few more short 60s to see if I could find the bunny. Nothing. Am I willing to pronounce the platform cured? No. This is a single example and ultimately the physics say that if you have rotational give in that stick axle, you can still end up with that shuddering hook-and-release cycle we all dread. Theoretically. :)

See this video?

If I had someone filming me, that is what the second launch would have looked like. Two sets of short burn marks and the Shelby rapidly disappearing into the twilight. No great skill required - just the basics. I call this myth, "Confirmed". Nice job Ford.

Is it a tenth faster than the 2010? Who knows? I never drove a 2010 or any other S197 based Cobra so I can't say. Compared to my 2007 GT/CS, the Shelby is a cakewalk to get rolling quickly. Is there more in it? Certainly. As you would expect, experimenting with various launch techniques for a given set of conditions would yield that optimal 60'.

Also untested is whether putting some additional heat into the G:2s would contribute or detract from their performance. We'll have to wait for some measured tests for that answer.

Power was smooth throughout the band althhough it seem like everything really begins taking deep breaths at 3,000 to redline. An interesting comparison with my '07: With the throttle to the firewall and approaching warp speed, you can feel the that the GT500 is still loafing where my blown 3V is laboring a bit.

Exhaust

Cruising along produces that distinctive 4V rich, deep burble that's just loud enough to be it's own music and to turn heads as you cruise through town.

There is nothing 'nasally' or 'raspy' about the sound (I have a friend with an '07 Shelby GT and *that* car sounds raspy :) )

Putting your foot in it immediately invokes a bass authoritative roar accompanied by that trademark supercharger whine. Perfect.

There is nothing I personally would change about this system and I would be more concerned that modifying some of the upstream pieces (headers, h-pipe, etc.) would compromise that great sound.

Handling

Excellent job balancing ride quality against handling (at least as far as can be determined on the back roads). Taking marked 25 mph 90 degree corners at 50 was not scary. The tires began to talk to you near the limit but, being less than 3 hours of total seat time in the car, I was not going to find out where the break was. You'll have to wait for a full report on the '911 Assist' feature in Sync for some furture episode (and a future reviewer).

Steering was responsive and push was pretty minimal, which, given the understeer safety margin the lawyers must demand from the engineers, is at a tolerable level. Roll was also acceptable. My '07 is a little compromise, heim jointed monster that the wife refuses to ride in. That car has all that understeer nonsense dialed out of it. The 2011 GT500 is not far away with that beefy rear sway bar and what feel like decently matching spring and damper rates. Still, I can see some minor tweaking in this car's future.

Speaking of the new EPAS, I'm still not sure about this. The '07 gives me a lot of feedback through the wheel as to what, exactly, is going on with the front tires at any given moment. EPAS not so much and, frankly, I found it a little disconcerting. It's hard for me to feel good about a corner entry when that steering wheel isn't talking to the hands. I realize this is contrary to what some magazine reviews are reporting. <shrug>

Shifter needs work and the stupid door covering the drink holder wobbles under your forearm. Note to Ford: Put a latch on that thing!

Sweepers were fun as you'd expect and, surprisingly, power application out of a turn was smooth. My '07, not so much, until I added the Watts link which 90% solved that little trouble area (have a Detroit True Trac to take car of that other 10%) and I am a huge fan of a Watts vs. adjustable panhard bars for combination street/track use. So I was all set to order another Watts link for the GT500 as one of my early mods. Now I'm back on the fence. How much is that Watts *really* needed? Requires more investigation.

The brake/tire combination is superb right out of the box. One of the new Cobra's fine points. Feels like the car is ready to stop in whatever rediculous distance you demand. Pedal action is even and linear with good feedback.

Another subjective observation if I may: I thought the '07 was pretty stiff (not much body flex). If that's true, then the Shelby feels like it was milled from a solid billet block. Wow, just wow.

So is it 9 seconds faster at VIR as is being hotly debated? Dunno. Could be. It's certainly fast and she seems to like it a little rough. Time will tell if that is a standard and repeatable performance.

Overall: She's not a ballerina, she's a freaking amazon. Not my first choice for one minute courses around the cones in the college parking lot but I can not wait to dance her around a real track.

Ride Quality

In a word: Nice. Better than I ever expected in something that handles this well and doesn't come with a snooty German pedigree. Where crossing the railroad tracks is an excercise in exploring the bump stops with the GT, the GT500 handles these normal imperfections with some grace and is smooth like buddah on good surfaces. I got it on a real lunar landscape of a road however and that was distinctly unpleasant. I guess there is only so far you can make a compromise go.

The car is very quiet (with the windows up). That new sound dampening doing its job. No squeaks, no rattles, very little transmitted NVH, engine or exhaust noise. But when a car sounds this good, who the hell wants to roll the windows up?

Miscellaneous

In my short cruise this evening, not one but two girls (humans this time) stopped to take pictures of the car as I drove past. One was on a skatebord in the crosswalk in front of me. She couldn't seem to decide whether it was better to get out of the road or take the picture. In retrospect it was probably just me and not the car at all. Happens all the time.

On the negative side - I also got to see some guys drive like idiots trying to look at the Cobra in traffic. My first experience with this. Unnerving.

The footwell still gets hot. Not roasty hot like my '07 does (I have to ride with the A/C on directed to my feet in the summer just to stand it) but still something Ford should work on. C'mon it's $55K.

The stereo still leaves something to be desired. Opposite to my normal experience with factory systems, I turned the treble all the way up just to get the midrange and then only clicked the bass up one notch otherwise it totally overwhelmed everything. Important safety tip: change the DSP setting to 'driver' from the default 'all seats'. Big improvement.

I'm not seeing any heatsoak issues yet but the evening temperatures were moderate. Is that extra 40% going to do it for most or will most still step up to Afco or Revan? Time will tell there too (plus some testing with a good OBD2 based gauge to monitor temps and timing retard).

Well gentlemen, I'll close it here. There's a lot more to tell but I'd like to get this posted plus leave something for the next guy. Please forgive the typos, bad grammar, and stupid metaphors. Hopefully we'll get more learned and lettered input as the cars get out into more enthusiast and vendor hands.

2011SVT - that's as good of a car review as I've ever read, GREAT JOB! I'm going to try your Launching Technique 2 with my own car. I don't like doing a lot of experimenting in this department, so I've mostly avoided it.

Your comments about the electric steering are dead-on to what I've read before on other cars with similiar setup, but of course Ford will sell it as an improvement - and it probably is in a Lincoln.

Obviously I can look this up in the owners manual, but what exactly are you saying here: "Important safety tip: change the DSP setting to 'driver' from the default 'all seats'. Big improvement."? What does this do?

BTW, get used to the new found attention. It's still a little unnerving to see a car rolling up behind you with the passenger hanging out the window with camera in hand. Though I think my favorite is the moms that speed up to catch you and roll on & off the throttle while the kids in the backseat are all laughing hysterically. :hysterical:

It's because of this attention that I quickly went out and bought a $2k daily driver as I couldn't bear the thought of leaving the car alone for hours at a time in various parking lots, but I'll chalk that up to my ODC.

Oh yeah, regarding your comments on the exhaust note - I understand your concerns on making changes and messing up that awesome sound. I've been very dissapointed with the raspy sound I now have as a result of the long tubes and high flow cats (although I'm very happy with the results). However, I hope to have that issue resolved today or tomorrow with the addition of two 4" x 18" round-body Magnaflow mufflers placed between the cats and stock mufflers.

M122 =)

M112 was on the 03/04 Cobra.

M90 was never used by Ford on a Mustang. Old T-birds and Roushes

Got it. Thanks! You'd think I'd keep better track - owning one. :finger:

There is NOTHING on that car i do not like.... :drool: ..congrats and enjoy!

Thanks. Me too. I was 'iffy' like a lot of folks on both the 'euro' rear end and the Lemans stripes. I watched a vid someone shot of this same color combo at Chicago earlier this year and said, "That's the one!". Now that I see it in person it's even better.

Very Nice! Well worth the wait. I'm somewhat surprised that the rear tires aren't a little bit wider but there're still a nice upgrade.

Thanks! I'm with you on the tires. Given the lukewarm reception/reviews given to the previous version of 'supertires' from Goodyear I did have some concerns. So far the G:2s are fabulous though.

Would be awesome if SVT would revise the geometry slightly in the rear and fit us with an 11" rim sporting a 335 series tire. Aftermarket kit? Are you listening Ford Racing?

It was me that asked about the tips mostly because when I put 3.5 tips on my 97 they looked HUGE but I now love them. Plus the 2010+ body style is quite a bit larger/longer and because the bumper having cutout I think it looks really great. Bet they sound awesome too!!!

That cutout back there is kind of an intricate pice of work and the muffs have to hang just so to center the tips. Look good though I think without being too much of an eye catcher.

Looks badass! I'm really digging those stripes now, the Ingot Silver accent makes the whole stripe. I do have the Convertible and prefer a stripe to an all black, especially since the Stripe Delete gives you black seats, and the striped seats look all the better on a convertible since they're so visible.

Mine was just put on Ramp 51 of the AAI at 4AM this monring, "In Transit" due to be here some time next week.

Yowza. Another thing I was neutral on was the striped seats because there was such an opportunity to do something that looked lame. Luckily Ford did the opposite. I think the seats are 'the most improved" interior feature of the car.

God, Ramp 51. I totally gave up trying to make any sense out of that process. I owe Mr. Mulally a letter. Wish I could have found the guy I could have paid off, "Here's a Benjamin. Put my car on the carrier TODAY..."

I will post a pic of the engine since I have the same car. It a very nice color, don't you think

post-28743-127488543436_thumb.jpgpost-28743-127488545675_thumb.jpg

Here is one of the interior too.post-28743-127488556781_thumb.jpg

Thanks man. I've got a cold that is kicking my ass and I've been tardy with the camera..... You should post more if you got 'em.

Noticed that the Muffler is different on the inside. The '10 model does not have that perferated baffle. In fact, funny that is there, because I actually used a hole saw to open mine up about 2 days after I picked it up. Now the '11's basically have the same design. :happy feet:

Also like the new design of the F1's. Lets just hope they actually help to get the power to the ground.

And that Silver really sets off the Red/Black combo....BIG +1.

Todd

Thanks! That is an interesting picture of the muffler. I addressed a couple of your points in my review. I have to say this is the first car I've ever owned that I thought *nothing* needed to be done to the exhaust to tune the sound.

congrats--great looking car, like the metallic stripe outline alot.Suggestion, put some clear tape over the paper tags to keep them pristene,also maybe all the paint dabs as well.Also, brush some rust inhibitor on the rust before it gets real thick, then brush/spray soem semi-gloss on it. Also luv the red shocks

Thank you. Appreciate the tips and I am going to go find all those places. Yeah, luckily those red shocks compliment the rest of the paint scheme.

Congrats! Beautiful, same color/stripe combo as in the 2011 Brochure. The stripes look great with the silver outline.

Bet you are smiling from ear to ear when on the road :drool:

The stripes when you see them in the brochure almost have a luminous quality to them. In person it's not quite that good buts it's a *ton* better than the "orangey" picture that came from the car shows :)

If I have the vinyl replaced with paint I may try to tweak it slightly to come out with exactly the brochure look.

Guess I'll be the odd-ball that goes against the grain and say I'm just not digging the skinny red stripes with the silver outline. If I didn't know what the skinny stripes represented (meaning Shelby SVT package) and I rolled up on one from behind, I'd think it was a stripe kit from Pep Boys.

Aside from that, great looking car and I know you're going to enjoy the hell out of it!

i think the car is stunning!

Nice Car!! Thanks for the pics!

Really like the stripes, and the red is nicer (looks darker) than some previous pics on line...

Great wheels to!

Don't like the "Jenny Craig" stripes :hysterical: . Just like the color combo.

Not sure why but for some reason the outline stripe looks ok. And in person it looks good also. I was unsure about the outline at first, but local dealer has a Red w/ White stripes w/ Black outline.

One thing I do like for sure is the rocker stripe. Looks better as one solid stripe vs. the 2 stripe look.

Todd

861164558_MBNi3-XL.jpg

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think you could make the argument that wider might look even better. I thought I'd live with it a while and see how I liked it next year :)

Now, TX, that custom decal you did is awesome. You ought to sell those. I am imagining guys especially with stripe delete cars snapping those up!

Congrats on the car 2011SVT. Thanks for sharing all the great pics with us.

Your car is sick looking !!!!!!!!!!! Very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!

Great car !!! I love the red on black combo. I have to admit the skinny stripes are growing on me..... CONGRATS!!

My pleasure and thank you.

2011SVT - that's as good of a car review as I've ever read, GREAT JOB! I'm going to try your Launching Technique 2 with my own car. I don't like doing a lot of experimenting in this department, so I've mostly avoided it.

Your comments about the electric steering are dead-on to what I've read before on other cars with similiar setup, but of course Ford will sell it as an improvement - and it probably is in a Lincoln.

Obviously I can look this up in the owners manual, but what exactly are you saying here: "Important safety tip: change the DSP setting to 'driver' from the default 'all seats'. Big improvement."? What does this do?

BTW, get used to the new found attention. It's still a little unnerving to see a car rolling up behind you with the passenger hanging out the window with camera in hand. Though I think my favorite is the moms that speed up to catch you and roll on & off the throttle while the kids in the backseat are all laughing hysterically. :hysterical:

It's because of this attention that I quickly went out and bought a $2k daily driver as I couldn't bear the thought of leaving the car alone for hours at a time in various parking lots, but I'll chalk that up to my ODC.

Thanks. I noticed I 'published' on the same day the magazine did. Was interesting to read what they wrote after I wrote mine. Agreed in some places. Disagreed in others (like the EPAS). I sincerely hope I am wrong and when I get her out on the road course, my issues go away.

Going to the dark side on this, you sometimes wonder with the similarities in reviews - how much nut swinging is going on vs. good journalism......

Oh yeah, regarding your comments on the exhaust note - I understand your concerns on making changes and messing up that awesome sound. I've been very dissapointed with the raspy sound I now have as a result of the long tubes and high flow cats (although I'm very happy with the results). However, I hope to have that issue resolved today or tomorrow with the addition of two 4" x 18" round-body Magnaflow mufflers placed between the cats and stock mufflers.

Let us know how you come out. I may make some changes (like you) in the future for performance and I want to 'tune' my way back to the original sound.

861164558_MBNi3-XL.jpg

Geez what kind of wax do you use? That is one nice shine...

OP very nice 2011...enjoy.

...Let us know how you come out. I may make some changes (like you) in the future for performance and I want to 'tune' my way back to the original sound.

Sound issue resolved 100%. It's like having a new car all over; and it "feels" so much faster now that I'm not afraid to stomp on her because of the obnoxious sound.

Geez what kind of wax do you use? That is one nice shine...

OP very nice 2011...enjoy.

No wax for me...I'm too afraid of swirl marks.

This is my routine...

- I simply wash the car at either a local brushless gas station car wash, or across the street with the manual wash

- dry her off with a few micro-towels

- drive her a short distance home and use air hose to blow water out of crevasses

- quick re-dry

- apply Turtle Wax Ice and wipe off with more micro-towels

Cleaning, and keeping clean, a black car is much more a PITA than lighter colors, but once you have a routine down it's pretty quick and simple.

• 2 weeks later...

It was me that asked about the tips mostly because when I put 3.5 tips on my 97 they looked HUGE but I now love them. Plus the 2010+ body style is quite a bit larger/longer and because the bumper having cutout I think it looks really great. Bet they sound awesome too!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the 2010's already have 4" tips on 'em?

No, I'm not curious enough to get off my big ass, walk down two flights of stairs and go out to the garage to measure 'em...but that's what I *thought* I remembered, 4 inch tips.

But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong,

Phill

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the 2010's already have 4" tips on 'em?

No, I'm not curious enough to get off my big ass, walk down two flights of stairs and go out to the garage to measure 'em...but that's what I *thought* I remembered, 4 inch tips.

But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong,

Phill

Correct, the 2010's have 4 inch exhaust tips stock.

861164558_MBNi3-XL.jpg

Yeah, that *does* look sweet.

How easy/hard did the OE stripes come off? And did you use the same "style" GT500 as the OE or have something unique made?

It really cleans up the car. Still diggin' on the OTT "runway" stripes but lovin' the side delete WITH the GT500 designation on the side.

Mine is Kona Blue so it'd probably work will with that color too (dark vs. light).

Nice job,

Phill Pollard

Yeah, that *does* look sweet.

How easy/hard did the OE stripes come off? And did you use the same "style" GT500 as the OE or have something unique made?

It really cleans up the car. Still diggin' on the OTT "runway" stripes but lovin' the side delete WITH the GT500 designation on the side.

Mine is Kona Blue so it'd probably work will with that color too (dark vs. light).

Nice job,

Phill Pollard

Thanks Phill.

The stripes come off easy. Just get a corner started with your fingernail and lightly pull in an up-down fashion.

The GT 500 style is very similiar to OEM. I took a digital picture of the original stripe w/ the GT 500 embedded and had the sign company copy it using a color that matched my top stripes. It ran about $25-$30.

Archived