TEAM SHELBY FORUM

08 GT Question

acer08

After years of waiting I'm finally in the process of buying my first Shelby! I've landed on an 08 GT-C out of state (I'm in Colorado) and would just like input as far as red flags to look for. I know about the scoop/stripe issues on some of the cars and have of course asked for and received pix of the Shelby plaques on the car (dash and engine compartment). The car has aftermarket rims, black grill and no Shelby lettering on the trunk all of which are mods that the Sellers says were done at the dealer and that he bought the car that way. Not too concerned as those are easy changes to make. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks, John

Of course I don't have any facts on the car your looking at but heres one I have seen. I picked up my car in Columbia Missouri with 200 miles on it, I wouldn't do that again without someone checking out the car for me. While my dealer didn't come strait out and lie to me, he certainly didn't tell me the entire truth either. I would go to my local Ford dealer with the VIN and see if they will run a Oasis report on it.

This one is pretty nice.

http://www.jordanmotorcars.net/san-antonio-used-2008-ford-mustang-vid61624542-b2415

After years of waiting I'm finally in the process of buying my first Shelby! I've landed on an 08 GT-C out of state (I'm in Colorado) and would just like input as far as red flags to look for. I know about the scoop/stripe issues on some of the cars and have of course asked for and received pix of the Shelby plaques on the car (dash and engine compartment). The car has aftermarket rims, black grill and no Shelby lettering on the trunk all of which are mods that the Sellers says were done at the dealer and that he bought the car that way. Not too concerned as those are easy changes to make. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks, John

You might want to see if a TS member could check it out for you before hand. I believe Shelbybro lives in Moreno Valley which is right next to Riverside. Maybe he might be able to check it out for you and answer some of your questions.

Dan

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a friend in Anaheim that's going to take a look at it tomorrow before I commit to anything. I'll also go to the Ford dealer hear to have them pull the report.

Of course I don't have any facts on the car your looking at but heres one I have seen. I picked up my car in Columbia Missouri with 200 miles on it, I wouldn't do that again without someone checking out the car for me. While my dealer didn't come strait out and lie to me, he certainly didn't tell me the entire truth either. I would go to my local Ford dealer with the VIN and see if they will run a Oasis report on it.

This one is pretty nice.

http://www.jordanmot...d61624542-b2415

+1 The pictures will not show you enough, if the letters are missing, it may have been restriped, I bought mine sight unseen in AZ and went through some dealer surpizes, that ultimately cost the dealer a reduced sale price and a 5/60 warranty because the sales person failed to do a full disclosure, but thats another story, have someone look at it and kick the tires. Mine worked out fine, but I had to restripe and wait for a few things........

GG

I purchased mine in 08 site unseen from a Dealer. Great experience and everything was as promised! This is 2010 now and dont know how many miles, but the shelby lettering can be purchased from SAI. You want to make sure you have correct stripes, Cold air intake, Strut bar support, floor mats and all window stickers if its still new.

You should have your friend look at it really good, if it was re striped and has a diffrent grill, make sure it was not in a prior accident. A car fax should help clear that out.

How many miles? Your making an excellent choice............and here we go...............THE BEST AND FASTEST COLOR!

Car fax came back clean. It's got about 4200 miles and supposedly has an extended 5 yr 100000 mile warranty. I'm going to get in touch with the dealer he bought it from tomorrow to see what I can find out. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!!

I thought all 08's came with the billet hood pin bases? :headscratch:

Otherwise, it's definitely been re-striped, which is normal and certainly explains the missing lettering on the trunk.

The stripes at the very front of the hood look like they're too close together, which is a common mistake when dealers attempt to re-stripe these cars.

I'd have your buddy measure the gap between the stripes all the way down. If indeed they are off, I'd request that they have the stripes re-done yet again and that they add the lettering. If you do that, make sure they have a template from Shelby on the lettering spacing, otherwise they will undoubtedly screw that up too. Good luck.

I thought all 08's came with the billet hood pin bases? :headscratch:

The 2008 SGT-C were the first models for the '08 year, they were actually built in july of 2007. They came with the metal plate like the '07. Thats one of the first things i changed.

I purchaced my GT-C sight unseen from a dealership in CA and I live in CT. My car was purchaced new, a leftover and was a year old with 25 miles. The letter "Y" was missing from the rear deck that was disclosed prior to my purchace. The dealership took an additional $200 off the price of the car that cost me $55 to replace the emblems. The replaced grill is odd because it is supposed to be chrome with the pony attached to it. There is an earlier thread that states replacement floormats can be obtained. My car was shipped without them and a couple of phone calls was needed to be made to obtain them. I hope you will enjoy this car and the attention this car will bring you. -Kevin

Thanks to everyone for the info. I bought it! My friend/mechanic looked at the car and it checked out great. Pulled the report at the Ford dealer and it was restriped in 12/08. Making arrangements to get it home to Colorado. I'll be putting the original grill on it and it looks like I'll be doing the Shelby lettering on the trunk. Anyone know how I can get a template for the lettering?

Congratulations on joining the Grabber Orange Corp. Get ready for lots of near crashes by other drivers twisting their heads get a look at your new purchase. :salute:

• 2 weeks later...

The car was re-striped and the hood was done where the space between the stripes, 1/2 way up the hood, is about an 1 1/4" apart maybe more and should be exactly 1" apart and the same, it looks, on the roof.

Otherwise it looks real nice!

It's a beautiful car and I hope you intend to restore it.

Good luck!

P.S. About that Cowboys sun shield...

Thanks to everyone for the info. I bought it! My friend/mechanic looked at the car and it checked out great. Pulled the report at the Ford dealer and it was restriped in 12/08. Making arrangements to get it home to Colorado. I'll be putting the original grill on it and it looks like I'll be doing the Shelby lettering on the trunk. Anyone know how I can get a template for the lettering?

Someone here made a template...ugh...I can't remember who or where it was posted. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37527-the-stripes-thread/page__view__findpost__p__976732

Cowboys sun shade is already gone, as are the personalized plates that say Cowboys! As for the stripes, took it to the local dealer who said that it couldn't be done under warranty as they're not peeling or bubbling. I'm going to do some more calling around but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Cowboys sun shade is already gone, as are the personalized plates that say Cowboys! As for the stripes, took it to the local dealer who said that it couldn't be done under warranty as they're not peeling or bubbling. I'm going to do some more calling around but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Humm...I suspect you're out of luck. You could try to fight it as they were obviously done wrong as part of a warranty replacement but since the old owner accepted them I'd say that's not an option. I'd live with it, no one will notice but people like me, until they need to be replaced in the future.

I see that another member (andrewnagle1964) wants to get a black grill and currently has a silver grill! Maybe you guys can work out a swap?

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56560-white-and-black/page__view__findpost__p__964871

Humm...I suspect you're out of luck. You could try to fight it as they were obviously done wrong as part of a warranty replacement but since the old owner accepted them I'd say that's not an option. I'd live with it, no one will notice but people like me, until they need to be replaced in the future.

I see that another member (andrewnagle1964) wants to get a black grill and currently has a silver grill! Maybe you guys can work out a swap?

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56560-white-and-black/page__view__findpost__p__964871

I did notice that the stripes were redone by the dealer prior to the last owner buying it new in May of last year. Unfortunately he wasn't knowledgeable in the Shelby world and didn't question the stripes. I noticed before I bought it but the the car was so clean I just rolled with it. The dealer also did the grill mod and wheel/tire package. I already ordered the chrome grill and I like the CS 40's but at some point I will probably go hunting for a deal on the stock wheels.

Archived