TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-H / CS6 Functional Hood

Shelby GT Gang,

I have an '06 GT-H going in for painted stripes in a couple weeks and am somewhat interested in an 'option' that is supposed to exist but I can't find anyone who has details...Speaking with Amy and the Shelby folks at SEMA a couple years back I was told by no fewer than 2 people that the GT-H hood was originally intended to have a 'functioning' slot where the fake plastic grill currently resides. I was told that Shelby even had plans for it that were never published, but I haven't been able to get hold of them. With Bud and Amy now gone, it may be tough.

So here's my question - anyone else ever heard that the GT-H / CS6 hood can be 'slotted' in area of the current plastic grill? I'm a little concerned about taking strength from the hood by cutting in that spot, however, the deep draw hood is doing just that. If anyone has done this mod I would be interested in knowing how it went.

Thanks in advance!

Nolastyankee

GT-H 0242

Shelby GT Gang,

I have an '06 GT-H going in for painted stripes in a couple weeks and am somewhat interested in an 'option' that is supposed to exist but I can't find anyone who has details...Speaking with Amy and the Shelby folks at SEMA a couple years back I was told by no fewer than 2 people that the GT-H hood was originally intended to have a 'functioning' slot where the fake plastic grill currently resides. I was told that Shelby even had plans for it that were never published, but I haven't been able to get hold of them. With Bud and Amy now gone, it may be tough.

So here's my question - anyone else ever heard that the GT-H / CS6 hood can be 'slotted' in area of the current plastic grill? I'm a little concerned about taking strength from the hood by cutting in that spot, however, the deep draw hood is doing just that. If anyone has done this mod I would be interested in knowing how it went.

Thanks in advance!

Nolastyankee

GT-H 0242

The hood that is used for the Terlingua. Deep draw hood. You can see them at their site and there is some post on this site. Search deep draw hood. I also thought about putting one on my car and storing the original. Got your PM.. I will get some pictures and reply tomorrow.

Watching this thread closely, and hoping for good news. Let the brainstorming begin!

LuLu's ProCharger kit has the air path sucking up a lot of hot air from the rear of the engine bay (driver's side), and I know she could breath better if I could get some fresh air back in this corner.

Also willing to store her original SGT hood in favor of a decent replacement that will get this job done. She will be getting a full re-paint in the upcoming "down" season.

Been thinking about locating a stock Mustang hood and customizing it with some "off center" louvers...Justt thinking aloud about this.

Cervini's has a lot to offer in flashy trims, however, my primary focus is getting more air into LuLu's engine bay and their offerings limit my options.

https://www.cervinis.com/search.aspx?year=2007&make=Ford&model=Mustang&body=GT Coupe

Keep talking aloud, gents...

Harald,

Thanks for the response... I know about the deep draw hood for the Terlingua and this is the same treatment but on our hood. In fact, it was at the SEMA show where the Terlingua was introduced that I was talking to the Shelby folks and said "Hey, I like that venting concept, are you selling that hood?"

Amy's response..."No (they weren't at the time) but did you know that your stock Hertz hood was originally designed to be like that too? We have the plans for it at the shop." I wrote a couple times, but never got a response.

Amy said that but they ran out of time (not to mention the cost) on the Hertz cars, hence the fake grill. I haven't seen this on any of the prototype CS6 or CS8 cars either so I have no proof that this is true! All I can verify is that my conversation with Amy and someone else from SAI that I can't remember did happen as described.

Perhaps another call to Shelby this week will answer my questions...

Harald,

Thanks for the response... I know about the deep draw hood for the Terlingua and this is the same treatment but on our hood. In fact, it was at the SEMA show where the Terlingua was introduced that I was talking to the Shelby folks and said "Hey, I like that venting concept, are you selling that hood?"

Amy's response..."No (they weren't at the time) but did you know that your stock Hertz hood was originally designed to be like that too? We have the plans for it at the shop." I wrote a couple times, but never got a response.

Amy said that but they ran out of time (not to mention the cost) on the Hertz cars, hence the fake grill. I haven't seen this on any of the prototype CS6 or CS8 cars either so I have no proof that this is true! All I can verify is that my conversation with Amy and someone else from SAI that I can't remember did happen as described.

Perhaps another call to Shelby this week will answer my questions...

Keep us posted. The Terlingua hood was designed after the Hertz/CS-6 hood. I am not sure the Hertz hood sits high enough to allow air flow even if the plastic vent was functional. The deep draw vent area is larger and the rear cowl will allow air flow.

Shelby GT Gang,

Thanks in advance!

Nolastyankee

GT-H 0242

Try this thread. Paleoc from the CS6/8 forums made his functional by cutting out some material on the under side of the hood and then drilled out the fake grill above the water fill line of the hood to extract heat. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24096

Dave

Try this thread. Paleoc from the CS6/8 forums made his functional by cutting out some material on the under side of the hood and then drilled out the fake grill above the water fill line of the hood to extract heat. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24096

Dave

I have read this before. Not much heat release or air exhange IMO. I do think the dep draw is the way to go. Hoos lokks very similar and full function without hacking up an original CS6/Hertz hood.

Archived