TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake lights / tail lights question

OK, my tails/brakes have always been on the dim side, so I bought some 3 bulb inserts for them (this is a '68 coupe btw) thinking it was probably just the old orig reflectors not doing much to help that single bulb...

So I throw one side in, and wire it up temprorary style by just twisting the wires together to make sure it all works and I've got something weird happening:

When the parking lights are on, and I hit the brakes, they do not get much brighter, it's clear the "bright" fillament is lighting up, but the overall brightness isn't changing much.

I have the car on a charger to be sure it wasn't just a low battery, and same results.

Before I put in the second side of 3 bulbs, I tested each bulb independently, and noted that as soon as I connected any of the 3 new brake/bright light bulb leads to the hot brake light lead in the car, the other side / single original bulb would dim considerably.

Hopefully I've described this right, but does anybody have any ideas what could be happening?

The brake lights are relatively fine w/o the running lights on, so it will be okay during the day, but I'd like to fix this before I get caught after sundown in it...

OK, my tails/brakes have always been on the dim side, so I bought some 3 bulb inserts for them (this is a '68 coupe btw) thinking it was probably just the old orig reflectors not doing much to help that single bulb...

So I throw one side in, and wire it up temprorary style by just twisting the wires together to make sure it all works and I've got something weird happening:

When the parking lights are on, and I hit the brakes, they do not get much brighter, it's clear the "bright" fillament is lighting up, but the overall brightness isn't changing much.

I have the car on a charger to be sure it wasn't just a low battery, and same results.

Before I put in the second side of 3 bulbs, I tested each bulb independently, and noted that as soon as I connected any of the 3 new brake/bright light bulb leads to the hot brake light lead in the car, the other side / single original bulb would dim considerably.

Hopefully I've described this right, but does anybody have any ideas what could be happening?

The brake lights are relatively fine w/o the running lights on, so it will be okay during the day, but I'd like to fix this before I get caught after sundown in it...

Maybe your alternator or regulator are getting weak/bad connections...

You can try asking at www.vintage-mustang.com you may have better luck.

Odds are good that it's a bad ground. Check the ground points for corrosion and the ground wires for breakage.

I ran new grounds, and no improvement. I tried a few other things, and the running light feed has enough juice to power both running lights and brake lights, so I think I just have a power issue w/ the brake light wire/source. going to run a new power line and use a relay for brake lights till I can swap the turn signal assembly (signals never worked in the car) to see if that's the real issue since brake light power goes thru that switch too.

• 1 month later...

Jason, have you found a solution for you dim brake problem? I had the same issue!

The turn signals and the brake lights were dim. I replaced the Brake Pressure Switch

and the Brake Extension Lead. New battery also. That fixed the problem.

Let me know if that helps!

07SGT2591

Kevin

using a relay till I have time to swap out the turn signal assembly, I think that's where the problem is as the turn signals never worked either....

been a lil' busy trying to finish my jeep project up!

Archived