TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Questions about the OC caravan.......

mywickedshelby

I recently paid my deposit and will be joining in on the fun........my plan is to fly to Palm Springs, pick up my car from Alex and head to Terlingua with the OC Caravan......

in order to make my flight arrangements, I need to know what day the caravan is planning on leavin California?

in speaking to Sean and Warren, the party seems to start in Marathon on Wednesday night, with the group heading into Terlingua early Thursday...

what is the game plan?

I have started a rough draft for the cruise. I still need to find lodging, food and gas addresses. The dates can be changed if we want to go to Marathon on Wednesday night.

Terlingua Cruise From Palm, CA Springs to Lajitas, TX

Wednesday September 29, 2010

6:00am Starbucks Coffee

34300 Monterey Ave

Palm Desert, CA 92211

Opens @ 5:00am

8:00am Breakfast Quartzsite, AZ 150 Miles

9:00am Leave

11:00am Break Phoenix, AZ 150 Miles

11:15am Leave

1:15pm Lunch Tucson, AZ 100 Miles

2:15pm Leave

4:15pm Break Lordsburg, NM 150 Miles

4:30pm Leave

6:30pm Arrive Las Cruces, NM 130 miles

Total 680 Miles

Thursday September 30, 2010

7:00am Leave

9:30am Breakfast Van Horn, TX 150 Miles

10:30am Leave

1:30pm Arrive Lajitas, TX 180 Miles

Total 330 Miles

Leaving from Palm Springs, CA

Tom (Fontech)

Alex (vapor08GT500)

Rob and Leann (check6)

Rick (Shelby#18)

Michael and son (mywickedshelby)

Leaving from Las Cruces, NM

Carol and Don (V-8 Vixen)

Please chime in if you also want to cruise with us,,,

Tom

On a side note: I was going to look into vinyl graphic that says "Fear The Bunny" that would be put on our stangs for the trip. They would be about 5" X 2" and be on the front fenders above our emblems, ie for me, above the GT. I was thinking of yellow. These should only cost $5 to $8 each. I will look into it if we want to do this?

Please add your comments on this...

Tom

I have sent an email to those that I know that are going on the cruise. It has been brought up to leave on Tuseday September 28, 2010, a day earlier to meet the others Wednesday night in Marathon, TX. Please chime on this thread or the email with your comment.

Tom

On a side note: I was going to look into vinyl graphic that says "Fear The Bunny" that would be put on our stangs for the trip. They would be about 5" X 2" and be on the front fenders above our emblems, ie for me, above the GT. I was thinking of yellow. These should only cost $5 to $8 each. I will look into it if we want to do this?

Please add your comments on this...

Tom

Hey Tom,

As the originator of the Fear the Bunny slogan (my wonderful spouse sez she thought of it actually, likely she did) but as I said, as the originator or at least for sure the publicist and club founder can I get one of those graphics??? Please - just tell me where to send the check!

Fear the Bunny comes from trying to figure out how to make my then future car, the bunny, sound fierce. That is also where Vorpal came from as in the Python Vorpal Bunny. He'll do you a treat mate... Bouncing it around produced the Fear the Bunny slogan.

We are looking forward to seeing the caravan pull into Maverick Ranch, Lajitas on Thursday! I will be waiting there for you, with other event personnel, food, spirits, Terlingua Mustangs and other good friends. Also, tons of Terlingua doo dads I have collected.

Also, yep the party starts in Marathon the night prior!

David

I have sent an email to those that I know that are going on the cruise. It has been brought up to leave on Tuseday September 28, 2010, a day earlier to meet the others Wednesday night in Marathon, TX. Please chime on this thread or the email with your comment.

Tom

I say leave Tuesday to get to Marathon on Wednesday, hang with the group and caravan into Terlingua together thursday.

Dubbs mentioned to me that Thursday was the only real down time for the whole event......

a good time to mingle with the others, scope out the surroundings, etc......

cause fri, sat & sun will be pretty much non stop activities.......

what does everyone else think?

"Fear The Bunny" question.

I have attached a Word doc with "Fear The Bunny" in different fonts. Please express your comment with the font name and the line number. I will see what the price will be. I would presume that Yellow would be the color of choice.

Tom

Fear The Bunny Graphic.doc

Fear The Bunny Graphic.doc

Here is the list either meeting in Palm Springs, CA on Tuesday 9/28/10 or in Las Cruces, NM that night...

Tom (Fontech)

Alex (vapor08GT500)

Rick (Shelby#18)

Rob and Leann (check6) will be coming a day behind us. We will miss them on the cruise there, but will be cruise'n with us on the way back...

If there are other TS Members coming our way on the 10 Frwy East, please chime in or send me a PM...

Tom

Here is the list either meeting in Palm Springs, CA on Tuesday 9/28/10 or in Las Cruces, NM that night...

Tom (Fontech)

Alex (vapor08GT500)

Rick (Shelby#18)

Rob and Leann (check6) will be coming a day behind us. We will miss them on the cruise there, but will be cruise'n with us on the way back...

If there are other TS Members coming our way on the 10 Frwy East, please chime in or send me a PM...

Tom

sounds great Tom, thanks for taking the reins........

Wait Tom, we'll be leaving FOR Las Cruses on Tuesday, not FROM, otherwise we'll beat all of you to Texas instead of meet all of you in New Mexico. :blush: Is that what you mean?

Wait Tom, we'll be leaving FOR Las Cruses on Tuesday, not FROM, otherwise we'll beat all of you to Texas instead of meet all of you in New Mexico. blush.gif Is that what you mean?

The Palm Spring Crew will arrive in Las Cruses on Tuesday night. Either you spend the night there on Tuesday night and have dinner with us or you arrive early on Wednesday. I do not know how far away you are?

I or we still need to find out what is the lodging plans for everyone that is arriving in Marthon, TX on Wednesday night.

Tom

I say leave Tuesday to get to Marathon on Wednesday, hang with the group and caravan into Terlingua together thursday.

Dubbs mentioned to me that Thursday was the only real down time for the whole event......

a good time to mingle with the others, scope out the surroundings, etc......

cause fri, sat & sun will be pretty much non stop activities.......

what does everyone else think?

I can't leave a day earlier. Getting the time off of work was already a major battle. I understand if the group wants to do this, but I just can't do it. Tom, I guess I didn't understand what this meant, so yes this will impact our plans as I understood others would leave a day early, but did not understand we would be traveling alone. Sorry for the confusion.

I can't leave a day earlier. Getting the time off of work was already a major battle. I understand if the group wants to do this, but I just can't do it. Tom, I guess I didn't understand what this meant, so yes this will impact our plans as I understood others would leave a day early, but did not understand we would be traveling alone. Sorry for the confusion.

Leann,

We will talk about this on Saturday at the Victorville Car Show...

Tom

Tom and Leann, just for the record, I wasnt trying to take over the caravan or change the groups plans resulting in someone getting left out.

I was only passing on the info I got from Dubbs and thinking about the merits of arriving earlier.

I can leave early on my own to make it to Marathon by Wednesday.........I would prefer that to Leann getting left behind.

Well, they could make a push to drive straight through and catch up...there seems to be a few hours of filler in there.

Plus, I expect everyone to gather at Marathon sometime between 4 or 5pm, figure 14 hours of driving for you west coasters, easily doable in 24 hour window.

To put it in perspective, last week I drove 18 hours straight by myself...the 14 hour drive wasnt bad, it was those last 4 hours that killed me.

Plus, from San Diego, I beleive you can make that run in 12 hours more or less...not too bad really. FrankS did it last year by himself and basically just drove down for one day of the fun...

Its the East Coasters that have a real drive ahead of them. :salute:

Tom and Leann, just for the record, I wasnt trying to take over the caravan or change the groups plans resulting in someone getting left out.

I was only passing on the info I got from Dubbs and thinking about the merits of arriving earlier.

I can leave early on my own to make it to Marathon by Wednesday.........I would prefer that to Leann getting left behind.

Well, they could make a push to drive straight through and catch up...there seems to be a few hours of filler in there.

Plus, I expect everyone to gather at Marathon sometime between 4 or 5pm, figure 14 hours of driving for you west coasters, easily doable in 24 hour window.

To put it in perspective, last week I drove 18 hours straight by myself...the 14 hour drive wasnt bad, it was those last 4 hours that killed me.

Plus, from San Diego, I beleive you can make that run in 12 hours more or less...not too bad really. FrankS did it last year by himself and basically just drove down for one day of the fun...

Its the East Coasters that have a real drive ahead of them. salute.gif

I will be talking with Leann and Rob this Saturday at a car show in Victorville, CA. I was already going to step a side with the cruise that leaves on Tuesday and leave with Leann and Rob on Wednesday or late Tuesday night.

The cruise from Palm Springs to Marathon, TX is 950 miles or 13.5 hours. I figure at 75mph will be a 12.5 hours plus 4 half hour breaks would be a 16.5 trip. if we left Plam Springs at 5:00am that would bring us to Marathon at 9:30pm. If we would leave on Tuesday night at 9:00pm, this would bring us into Marathon at 1:30pm, about the same time everyone else would be arriving from Palm Springs, CA.

I have on numerouse trips driven between 850 miles and 1200 miles straight. It is a pretty BIG load on the driver. If Leann is willing to drive staright through, I will be there with her and Rob. Heck, if we time it right, we could cruise from Las Cruses, NM with the crew.

Again, I will be seeing Rob and Leann this weekend and have everything worked out.

Tom

Yeah, the important thing to consider is that everyone will be at Marathon fairly late afternoon, so that gives you guys a bit more leeway in your schedule too...figure 4-5pm for those of us coming from Houston/San Antonio

Last year the H-towners left around 6:30-7AM if I remember right, met us in SA at 9:30 or so, had a good breakfast and drove on out hwy 90...its about an hour longer in time, but its a much prettier drive than staying on I-10 to Ft Stockton and cutting over that way. But we will poll everyone and see what they want to do. I did have it in mind to stop at the Alamo movie set in Bracketville this year, since we did Langtry, TX last year...I like to keep it interesting for the group if they are interested. If people are going to get there earlier, we may forgo the scenery and just get out there ASAP on Wednesday. I do have my rooms reserved for Tuesday night even in case I need them at the Gage. I am considering going out a day early to get some rest before the big weekend, as it isnt very relaxing for Sean, David, Rick and myself...maybe spend the day driving through Big Bend..always a fun drive.

TS Crew leaving Palm Desert, CA or meeting in Las Cruses, NM,

The route has been completed and needs your review. Upon talking with Leann last night, Leann, Rob and I will be leaving on Tuesday at about 4:00pm. We will meet you at The Gage Hotel Wednesday night.

Route From Palm Desert, CA To Marathon, TX

Please Note: I have called every Chevron Gas Station to verify that they are still in working order and called the lodgings to verify pricing and breakfast.

Any comments to be great...

Tom

Terlingua Cruise.doc

Terlingua Cruise.doc

Archived