TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3M clear bra install and removal...

MichaelP

Hi-

Went to my local dealer to see 3m clear bra... Has anyone seen the goop and crud left behind when these things are pulled off your car to replace? Has anyone removed one with no paint damage? Just wondering... I have never had clear bra installed b efore but what I saw today when dealer was removing an old one was scary..

M.

Hi-

Went to my local dealer to see 3m clear bra... Has anyone seen the goop and crud left behind when these things are pulled off your car to replace? Has anyone removed one with no paint damage? Just wondering... I have never had clear bra installed b efore but what I saw today when dealer was removing an old one was scary..

M.

What kind of paint damage did you see. The product removals I've seen have never left any damage that a wash and light buff could not bring back to pristine condition.

The 3M bra I saw being removed was old, yellow and cracked. As the tech was pulling the material away (or trying to pull away) there was a black gunky residue left on surface...just like you were removing old tape and had a sticky mess to clean up afterwards..

I know these bra's are popular...I was just wondering if anyone had removed theirs without any damage to paint, cleanup was easy, etc.

Thanks for replies on this subject,

Mike

Will it take the strip off when you pull off the tape? :headscratch:

I'm told no. I recently had an xpel clear bra applied and asked questions related to removal. My installers advice was to never try to remove it yourself (which I translate to pay someone with experience to remove it, for example, don't take it to a dealership), and he said that he uses a steam machine. I live in Missouri so we like to see proof, ya no the "Show Me State"... here's a link for the guys that did my bra, it actually has my car in it (unrelated to thread)... if I remember right they have several before/after pictures of removal and replacement of repairs they have done due to damage or bad installs.

http://www.pdiclearbra.com/hallofshame.html Examples of removals are in the Picture link then go to Competitors, btw my car is the 2010 GT500 in their pics

I'm told no. I recently had an xpel clear bra applied and asked questions related to removal. My installers advice was to never try to remove it yourself (which I translate to pay someone with experience to remove it, for example, don't take it to a dealership), and he said that he uses a steam machine. I live in Missouri so we like to see proof, ya no the "Show Me State"... here's a link for the guys that did my bra, it actually has my car in it (unrelated to thread)... if I remember right they have several before/after pictures of removal and replacement of repairs they have done due to damage or bad installs.

http://www.pdiclearb...allofshame.html Examples of removals are in the Picture link then go to Competitors, btw my car is the 2010 GT500 in their pics

Those are great pictures of bad installs..

So, if I go ahead and do this what is consensus with stripes.. Go OVER stripes with one solid piece or a bunch of separate clear strips.. I see several examples of both posted on this forum..

It seems like the issue with one solid piece is the gap or opening left in clear bra at the junction of stripe and paint....

M.

Those are great pictures of bad installs..

So, if I go ahead and do this what is consensus with stripes.. Go OVER stripes with one solid piece or a bunch of separate clear strips.. I see several examples of both posted on this forum..

It seems like the issue with one solid piece is the gap or opening left in clear bra at the junction of stripe and paint....

M.

If you have this done I would recommend removing your heat vent from the hood before you bring it to the installer, know that when you pick it up it's not going to be perfect, try to coordinate your install with the weather... you want 3 days of hot sun following the application. I opted to go over the stripes. I know some don't cover them at all, but with such a large area right up front it didn't make sense to me not to cover it. I have a tiny line where the bra goes over the stripe. My installer says when we get some days that are super hot and if I leave it outside then "roll" over the area with a microfiber towel it will flatten out over time.

Archived