TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3.90 or 4.10 gears?

Not sure What gears to go with. I know both 3.90 and 4.10's will raise my rpms at highway speeds but they make the car much quicker acceleration wise. Just looking for advice or suggestions. My Shelby GT has the standard 3.55 on it, so going to the 3.73 I don't think I would notice a difference. Are gears worth it? :headscratch:

Also, people say you lose your top speed by switching to these gears. Is this really true? Some say yes and other say no. I'm a bit confused. :confused:

Not sure What gears to go with. I know both 3.90 and 4.10's will raise my rpms at highway speeds but they make the car much quicker acceleration wise. Just looking for advice or suggestions. My Shelby GT has the standard 3.55 on it, so going to the 3.73 I don't think I would notice a difference. Are gears worth it? :headscratch:

Also, people say you lose your top speed by switching to these gears. Is this really true? Some say yes and other say no. I'm a bit confused. :confused:

Go with the 410's. Some people have trouble with the 390's whinning and thats one agravation you don't want. Besides, the only whine i want is from that s/c under the hood. I've got the 410's and if you are natuallly aspirated then you will feel like you just bolted 50hp on your car. There is no better performance mod for the money.410's use to scare people but now with 5 and 6 speed transmissions your gas mileage want suffer but about 2 mpg. Now your 5th gear will feel more like a passing gear. Good-Luck.

The only thing I don't want to loose is my top end. I mean I never hit 140 but I want to at least be able to reach 120 or 130 Just for shits and giggles.

I was following a vette the other day and ran up to 110 mph quickly in 4th gear and still had some power left. I have a s/c so that could make some difference. Idon't believe you would have any problem going 120 or 125 though. To me it's not how fast i go but how fast i can get 0 to 60 or 0 to 100.

What is your primary use of your SGT ? If you drive it occasionly, and maybe frequent drag racing then the 4.10 gears may work for you. If your car is a daily driver, then the 4.10 gears will drop your gas mileage, make your engine work harder in every gear and every speed, and when you de-accelarate without maintaing RPMs you'll get some "nose diving". I have a 1968 Ford Bronco with a 4.11 rear end which is great for off-roading, but above 60 mph on the highway, the 289 engine is really working hard. Maybe if you had a 6 speed it would be OK. My opinion is that any rear end in the 4 + range is for a special purpose, and not that great for daily use. Just an opinion though, it's your car and if the higher rear end fills your "need for speed" then go for it. Larry

Archived