TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just had 3.73`s installed

Whammer

On Friday I took my 08 in to get 3.73 gears installed.

I took it to Sean Hyland Motorsport in Woodstock, Ontario. Sean is an authorized Shelby dealer and installer, he`s able to make Super Snakes, etc. authorized by Shelby.

I had Sean put the FRPP 3.73`s into my car.

What a great upgrade!

Today I was driving at 40mph in 2nd and hit the gas, the rear tires actually spun and broke lose. Now it`s still a bit cold here in Canada so the roads aren`t warm, so I`m not getting the same kind of traction that I will when it`s 70 or 80 degrees.

I don`t want to scare anyone off from getting 3.73`s (so don`t over read what I`m saying), but this car is actually a bit scary now! But only if you`re really hammering down the gas pedal. I had an 08 Bullitt which had 3.73 and I just love the way that car would sit down when you shifted hard. What I noticed when I got my GT500 was that it had plenty of power but it didn`t slam you back into the seat the same way my Bullitt did. The GT500 would ease you back and of course the power would just keep this car accelerating forever it seemed.

But I`m really not interested in top end speed, I don`t want a ticket for going 50 or 80mph (or more) over the speed limit.

I just like to get on the throttle quick and have a fun little 5 second blast, with the 3.73`s I`m feeling it!!!!

+1, I had 3.73's installed in our GT500 18 months ago. It really wakes the car up. The highway mileage improved on ours as well. Well as long as I drove at a steady 70 mph. Car drives much better. Just be sure you have it pointed where you want it to go.

I took it to Sean Hyland Motorsport in Woodstock, Ontario. Sean is an authorized Shelby dealer and installer, he`s able to make Super Snakes, etc. authorized by Shelby.

What a great upgrade!

Today I was driving at 40mph in 2nd and hit the gas, the rear tires actually spun and broke lose. Now it`s still a bit cold here in Canada so the roads aren`t warm, so I`m not getting the same kind of traction that I will when it`s 70 or 80 degrees.

I don`t want to scare anyone off from getting 3.73`s (so don`t over read what I`m saying), but this car is actually a bit scary now! But only if you`re really hammering down the gas pedal. I had an 08 Bullitt which had 3.73 and I just love the way that car would sit down when you shifted hard. What I noticed when I got my GT500 was that it had plenty of power but it didn`t slam you back into the seat the same way my Bullitt did. The GT500 would ease you back and of course the power would just keep this car accelerating forever it seemed.

But I`m really not interested in top end speed, I don`t want a ticket for going 50 or 80mph (or more) over the speed limit.

I just like to get on the throttle quick and have a fun little 5 second blast, with the 3.73`s I`m feeling it!!!!

Do you still have stock tires? Throw on some stickier street tires or some DOT drag radials....and it gets even better!!

I've been putting this off too long trying to decide whether to drop in a new Axle or just have them installed into mine.

I think I've been missing out for too long.

Me too I first thought the FRRP 3.73 axle was the way to go but I'd be in it for about half of doing a complete setup for somebody like strange with beefer axle shafts and a tru trac. I'm now leaning toward a strange setup its more expensive but I think in the long run its better to go ahead and build it to take abuse then you will not worry about it being a weak link later on if you decide to step the power up.

Yes, still stock. Any tire recommends?

There are several good choices depending on your driving habits. And everybody has their favorites. Nitto's are very popular for a car that is driven on a daily basis.

Nitto

I drive my car only on dry days and not during the winter.......so I use a drag radial. Drag radials are very sticky....but will not last as long.

M&H M&H and

Mickey Thompson Mickey Thompson

are popular brands....I use MandH.

There is awhole lot of info here on tires....just do a couple searches and you will find lots of info.

Upgrading your tires is one of the best first mods you can do......a stickier tire is like a performance upgrade.....it makes that big of a difference!

If you have wheel hop issues......most of us did at first...especially earlier models......you will want to upgrade your Lower Control Arms, Upper Control Arm, and maybe even lowering springs! Again....lots of opinions and info here.

Good Luck! Have fun! Be safe!

Me too I first thought the FRRP 3.73 axle was the way to go but I'd be in it for about half of doing a complete setup for somebody like strange with beefer axle shafts and a tru trac. I'm now leaning toward a strange setup its more expensive but I think in the long run its better to go ahead and build it to take abuse then you will not worry about it being a weak link later on if you decide to step the power up.

I don't think it's needed. The Super Snake have any different set up and it's putting out 750HP. The place I had the 3.73's installed has SC upgrade to get you to 850HP and I think it's the same Ford rear end.

There are several good choices depending on your driving habits. And everybody has their favorites. Nitto's are very popular for a car that is driven on a daily basis.

Nitto

I drive my car only on dry days and not during the winter.......so I use a drag radial. Drag radials are very sticky....but will not last as long.

M&H M&H and

Mickey Thompson Mickey Thompson

are popular brands....I use MandH.

There is awhole lot of info here on tires....just do a couple searches and you will find lots of info.

Upgrading your tires is one of the best first mods you can do......a stickier tire is like a performance upgrade.....it makes that big of a difference!

If you have wheel hop issues......most of us did at first...especially earlier models......you will want to upgrade your Lower Control Arms, Upper Control Arm, and maybe even lowering springs! Again....lots of opinions and info here.

Good Luck! Have fun! Be safe!

Thanks for all the info.

LCA were actually the first thing I did to the car. Got rid of the wheel hop.

What kind of break in is needed on a new set of gears?

My dealer said the gears needed no break in so i used the floor it method.Love em.It did throw the speedo off so i had to get the cai& procal to correct the speedo and bump up the hp a little.

as much as this sounds like a great mod, i think that will make 1st and 2nd gear useless due to wheel spin. in a street joust off the line, you may regret your install. i hope i'm wrong though.

SLC

Having gone to the 373's i can't imagine anyone regreting doing it.

+1, I had 3.73's installed in our GT500 18 months ago. It really wakes the car up. The highway mileage improved on ours as well. Well as long as I drove at a steady 70 mph. Car drives much better. Just be sure you have it pointed where you want it to go.

How much better? I do mostly highway driving, setting the cruise between 68 - 73 mph depending on the stretch of roadway, and mileage was a concern of mine. If you're saying it got better with 3.73's, than I might just go ahead with them.

as much as this sounds like a great mod, i think that will make 1st and 2nd gear useless due to wheel spin. in a street joust off the line, you may regret your install. i hope i'm wrong though.

SLC

Without driving one with 3.73's yet, I'd have to agree with you. I just installed the FRPP CAI last night. WOW is all I can say. I don't know why I waited so long to install that. But, the tires break loose at 25-30 mph jumping on it in first gear now. I can't imagine 3.73's making that any better!

You know, once you get bit by the go-fast bug, all you can do is scratch!

Got a set sitting in the box in my garage... Just haven't had the time to get it done... Guess I better make time... My 305/35/20 Nitto DR's came today so I guess thats another reason to get them installed..

Going to a 20" rim is another good reason to go to the 3.73s.

After being in a GT-500 for nearly 2 years, I went into a KR with 3.73's. A definite better improvement those 3.73's are !

I can feather 2nd gear and smoke the tires throughout the gear.....what a blast !

What a great upgrade!

I know i'm comparing way different vehicles here but , i had the 3.73,s on my 97 Blown Cobra for about 8 years .

The car was running just fine with 445 RWHP and the 3.73's in place .

One day , i had the urge that i wanted to go " Quicker " . I didn't want to do any more bolt on's so , 4.10's went in .

The car was totaly transformed . After the Supercharger , the Gears were , by far , the best Bang for buck done .

Now , i have a 2010 GT 500 pushing ( i hope ) around 520 rwhp .

I think my next mod will be the 3.90 gears .

One things for sure . With all the Low end torque these cars have , they sure set you back in the seat .

what rpm are you turning at highwaqy speeds in 6th?

I had the 373 rear end put in my '09 GT500 with stock tires and wheels and it is wonderful. The car comes alive in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The clutch chattering is almost non-existant on takeoff, it is easy to drive around parking lots without having to slip the clutch so much and I'm pulling around 2000 RPM at 68 mph in 6th.

-Tom

+1, I had 3.73's installed in our GT500 18 months ago. It really wakes the car up. The highway mileage improved on ours as well.

Theoretically, the mileage should decrease because the motor is turning higher rpms at the same speeds as before in all gears. :headscratch:

First gear is like driving on ice in first gear with 373 gears. The goodyears just don't hook up @ all . But any other gear is pure adult fun .

One of the first mods any GT500 owner should do is get rid of the stock rubber. They are terrible for traction. Supposedly Goodyear has made them a little better for the '10 and '11 models....especially the KR's.....but I am not sure how much better.

You will never be able to appreciate any mods done to your car till you get better traction, and get rid of the wheel hop (if you have wheel hop, upgrade your LCA's).

If you want a tire smoking monster....that is cool in the parking lot.....but will get embarrassed at the light or at the track .......keep the stock tires.

Once you have some traction, then you will really appreciate what the car has to offer.

IMHO, 3:73's are the best gear ratio for a street and/or a street/strip car. But without better traction.....you will not like them....and will complain about first gear being useless.

If you drive your car daily, rain or shine, get a set of Nitto's for the rear. If you drive your car only on good weather days (no rain).....get a set of drag radials.

First gear is like driving on ice with 373 gears. The goodyears just don't hook up @ all . But any other gear is pure adult fun .

I have 331 gears and with the OEM tires 1st gear was virtually useless anyway. :banghead:

I have installed a set of Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials (305/35R18) and so far they really seem to hook up. I'll find out just how well Fri night. 373 gears are not out of the question for a future mod.

Archived