TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 GT500 KR vs 2011 GT500

ati

Couldn't sleep last night so I did some shopping on line and the question is:

For the same money which would you rather have? A new 2009 GT500 KR or a new 2011 GT500 vert with the SVT performance package.

For the same money which would you rather have? A new 2009 GT500 KR or a new 2011 GT500 vert with the SVT performance package.

Good question. It really comes down to how you're going to use your car. I looked long and hard at the KR; but I drive my cars and God forbid you get into an accident with that carbon fiber hood. I think it's finally under 10 grand to replace. If anything happens to 2011, parts will be readily available and cheaper. Although the KR has a certain mystique to it, there is nothing like a convertible. If you're more into garaging it and just taking it out for those Wednesday night car shows, then the KR might be the way to go. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I know I'll be jealous of you!

Kinda tough. The KR would be a good investment - if you left it alone. Though the 2011 aluminum block in a vert is just something I gotta have. I'll be looking for a crate motor next year. So if you plan to use it - and drive it like it's supposed to be. Well then you know the answer...

First.......... I would think if they are the same price, then either you are getting a good deal on the KR or paying way to much for the 2011.

Second....whats wrong with your 2009 GT500? That is a very nice car!

Okay....back to your question.....

If you plan on NEVER doing ANY mods to the car and it will be just a street car.......then get the KR.

If you plan on driving it aggressively, and doing mods to it ( a way better choice in my opinion), then get the 2011, and have a blast!

If you are a collector, or just drive your car occassionaly on the weekends or only for shows, and do not have any modding genes in your blood.......a KR and/or Super Snake are great choices IF you can afford it.

For the most pure driving enjoyment and the great satisfaction of working on and modding your car to your liking.....get a good deal on a GT500 and mod it as you see fit...........and again in my opinion.......you get much more for your money......and for quite a bit less than either a KR or a Super Snake.......you will have one of the baddest cars on the street....period!

I absolutely love and will never get rid of my 2007 GT500........and since I already have a GT500.......if I was going to buy a mustang today......the 2011 5.0 GT is one fine car for the price!

But then again........you just cannot go wrong when buying any Mustang!!!!

Dennis

Daily driver and your wife has a sedan or small suv = 2011 GT500

Week-end toy and you and your wife have other cars or trucks = KR

Daily driver and no wife = 2011 Mustang GT or SHO

Daily driver and no wife and crazy = Ford GT

Daily driver and no wife and stupid with a mullet = 2010 Camaro SS

KR is a $82k GT500 with minor upgrades... and buying a car for investment? please... 2011 convertible is better.

KR is a $82k GT500 with minor upgrades... and Buying a car for investment? please... 2011 convertible is better.

Here's are some FACTS, 1982 paid $ 10K for 66 Shelby GT350 sold it for $45K in 1995 was not daily driver. In 2000 paid $24500 for concours 70 Boss 302 sold in 2004 for $ 450000 again not daily driver. 1989 paid $15K for a 1970 GT500 sold it for $55K in 2005 .These same cars are even higher today. Sometimes you can make a buck on American cars. Will the KR ever have these results ? I have been collecting Shelby's for 30 years and i would have to say YES!! The KR has many of the same things that these examples have in my book. Hell i sold those cars because i was sure the market was @ it's peak. I can't get back in that early Shelby market cause i don't feel comfortable with prices now. But i do with the KR plus it's a blast to drive. Just my 2 cents and a little experience with Mustangs. Oh yeah one more example paid $ 121K taxes included for 05 FordGT drove it for 7 mos and sold her for a profit . I traded the Ford GT this year for a 08 KR ( plastic still on seats ) paid 53K and put the difference in some bonds and AKAM stock for now.( but can't do that again) just lucky on that one. Not many new FORD GT's on MSO out there you can buy from Ford Motor Credit these days @ a Great price.But that same KR was $69k last year and the original dealer sold it for 86K . The KR'S are @ or near the bottom once the dealers sell the last one. People who paid 70K + are not going to sell them anytime soon. These cars will stay in collections for many years.If you ever get a chance take a look @ the under side of the KR hood it's a great engineering example of function and beauty. That hood is no minor upgrade.

I say 2011, the interior of those new cars are niiiiice, sync and back up camera, svt package.... Need I say more?

I know the whole KR being super special and all, however, most owners modify their stangs so if you are not going to modify the KR then get that.

I say 2011, the interior of those new cars are niiiiice, sync and back up camera, svt package.... Need I say more?

I know the whole KR being super special and all, however, most owners modify their stangs so if you are not going to modify the KR then get that.

My motohome has a back up camera, what the hell does a mustang need one for. Oh i know then you can watch the camaro's as they try to keep up, OK

If you ever get a chance take a look @ the under side of the KR hood it's a great engineering example of function and beauty. That hood is no minor upgrade.

Amen.

That's one big thing I noticed about the KR. Hood was open and I saw the underside. It even has a recess for the strut tower brace built into the hood. Amazing work.

And all Carbon Fiber. It's no wonder they are so expensive.

If any of you ever get a chance, check out the underside of a KR hood. Freakin' amazing fitment.

I'd take a KR over a 2011 VERT any day. But I'm *not* a 'vert guy. Now a KR over a 2011 coupe.........ehhhhhhhh <??SHRUG??>

That's a hard one since I already decided on a 2010 Coupe over a 2008 KR. If I could keep the 2010, I'd obviously go for the KR. If I had to have ONE of the three...I'd take the 2011 Coupe (over the KR and/or the 2010 coupe).

JMHO & YMMV,

Phill

My motohome has a back up camera, what the hell does a mustang need one for. Oh i know then you can watch the camaro's as they try to keep up, OK

I wish I have one in my mustang, living in the city having a back up camera is pretty useful when you have to park between cars in tight spaces (ever tried parking in Miami Beach/Collin's Ave?) Another way the new camera comes in handy is when you back up into spaces and don't want to kiss the warning bar or wall since parking into spots with face forward may damage these lowered car's front lip/spoilers........so back to topic, 2011 and reading the op's Avatar, "drive it like you stole it" I'm sure the SVT package will come in handy :dance:

KR! Is there really any question! I mean why is this even a comparison. Not because I own one but I had the Shelby GT vert and loved driving with the top down but let me just say after 11 Mustangs and 3 Shelby's I have always looked to mod and make them better and always regretted not going for the better one but this car is just amazing, this is it!. Just the fact of what this is is just crazy. Trust me you will not regret it one minute especially 5-10 yrs. down the road.

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

shelbypics019.jpg

KR - The 2011 will be another used GT-500 (though certainly a great one), but the KR will still be a KR. The DOT approved hood alone is simply amazing, and as a package, the KR is just beautiful. Get the KR, and pick up a clean 2011 in another few years... As cool as the 2011 is apt to be, I wouldn't swap for one. :)

4127578583_cc8e875956_b.jpg

Daily driver and your wife has a sedan or small suv = 2011 GT500

Week-end toy and you and your wife have other cars or trucks = KR

Daily driver and no wife = 2011 Mustang GT or SHO

Daily driver and no wife and crazy = Ford GT

Daily driver and no wife and stupid with a mullet = 2010 Camaro SS

Damn near wet myself reading this one!

the answer to your question is easy. KR. (if you can get at same price then is a no-brainer in my opinion)

The DOT approved hood alone is simply amazing,

"The DOT approved hood"?????

Why did Ford need the Department Of Transportation/DOT to "approve" the hood????

That's a new one on me. Tires? Yes. Hood? I don't think so....

Phill

"The DOT approved hood"?????

Why did Ford need the Department Of Transportation/DOT to "approve" the hood????

That's a new one on me. Tires? Yes. Hood? I don't think so....

Phill

Is that completely wrong..? I thought I read that Ford got it DOT approved... Was it another government agency then?

Is that completely wrong..? I thought I read that Ford got it DOT approved... Was it another government agency then?

I don't know if it's wrong, which is why I'm asking.

Vehicles sold in the US have to comply with the Federal Safety Standards Act so *maybe* the hood was approved by DOT for that reason???

I've never heard the *hood* was DOT approved but that doesn't mean it wasn't.

I know guys that have received tickets for running non-DOT tires on the street but I've never heard of a Cop checking to see if a *hood* was DOT approved. Hell, I don't know where the DOT sticker would be.... And if that's the case, does it mean that all of the Aftermarket Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber hoods are illegal (non-DOT)?

Anyone have anything further on this?

It's news to me,

Phill

I don't know if it's wrong, which is why I'm asking.

Vehicles sold in the US have to comply with the Federal Safety Standards Act so *maybe* the hood was approved by DOT for that reason???

I've never heard the *hood* was DOT approved but that doesn't mean it wasn't.

I know guys that have received tickets for running non-DOT tires on the street but I've never heard of a Cop checking to see if a *hood* was DOT approved. Hell, I don't know where the DOT sticker would be.... And if that's the case, does it mean that all of the Aftermarket Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber hoods are illegal (non-DOT)?

Anyone have anything further on this?

It's news to me,

Phill

"As it turns out, the parts pricing cited by the owner was correct. And while the hood's cost in particular sounds exorbitant, Shelby's Owens took pains to explain that not only is the part in question the only full carbon-fiber production hood available in a U.S. vehicle (read: it's expensive), it has gone through the same exhaustive certification procedure as any other OEM product – including crash testing (read: really expensive). Says Owens of the hood:

I will tell you – there was no less design, engineering and testing - that went into this component... than goes into any other component in the exotic car world. It was the single biggest piece of this program."

Here is the link for the full story:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/11/shelby-lowering-price-of-20k-gt500kr-hood-after-web-outrage-eru/5

2011 GT500 all day long. More power, better suspension, aluminum block (better weight distribution), much nicer interior, sync, etc...

+1, the KR only if you want it to collect dust in your garage for 20-40 years and hope / pray for a profit at the end (I personally like to drive my cars).

Buying cars solely as an investment seems dicey at best. There are tons of other investment opportunities that have less risk and more potential for profit than an automobile.

I'll echo the sentiment that others have expressed though, if you want something to take to car shows, not drive it much, and don't plan on modifying the existing platform then the KR seems the best option. I'm not sure what the price point is for either car that's actually being looked by the OP but if you're getting a KR for well below market value then I'd buy the KR and sell it and pick up a 2011 GT500 and invest the difference.

Archived