TEAM SHELBY FORUM

08 Drone & rr squeak

08 Shelby GT Vert, 2 probs. bought car new 1 yr ago.

Drone/vibration under load mostly in 5th at 35 to 70 mph. Is this exhaust and if so, is there a fix? Maybe more hangers?

Also, a rear squeak when hitting any bump. Used WD40 on shock mounts and sway bar mounts. Is worse in cold weather. WD40 stops for a while. Suspect sway bar mounts.

08 Shelby GT Vert, 2 probs. bought car new 1 yr ago.

Drone/vibration under load mostly in 5th at 35 to 70 mph. Is this exhaust and if so, is there a fix? Maybe more hangers?

Also, a rear squeak when hitting any bump. Used WD40 on shock mounts and sway bar mounts. Is worse in cold weather. WD40 stops for a while. Suspect sway bar mounts.

Had the squeak problem !! I just turned up the radio and after a while it went away with more mileage on the car.

I took my car in for the squeaking. Ford is replacing the Ford Racing Shocks as I type this. The tech thinks he narrowed it down to this component. Fingers crossed that he's right :) I've read that other joints may be the cause.

The squeaking is on the rear driver's side and it's worse in cooler weather. The problem has been worsening over time.

I took my car in for the squeaking. Ford is replacing the Ford Racing Shocks as I type this. The tech thinks he narrowed it down to this component. Fingers crossed that he's right :) I've read that other joints may be the cause.

The squeaking is on the rear driver's side and it's worse in cooler weather. The problem has been worsening over time.

If it's worse in cooler weather then it should be getting better fast because theTexas furnace is blowing some pretty hot air right now lol. More heat to come. I finally got my kr mufflers Ed.

The rear end squeak is caused by the two urethane bushings that clamp to the rear sway bar. If you get under the car and notice where the bushings are located, you will see they are held in place with a u-shaped clamp with a grease zert. If you grease this zert, the grease will not reach the inside of the sway bar as there are no holes in the bushings for the grease to flow to the sway bar. You are, in effect, greasing the area between the clamp and the outer bushing. The squeak comes from friction between the inner part of the bushing rubbing against the sway bar, not the outer side of the bushing and the mounting bracket!

One fix is to remove the clamp and drill a hole in the bushing where the zert is located to allow grease to flow down to the sway bar. Another solution that a mechanic friend of mine has used is to remove the urethane bushing and wrap the sway bar with teflon tape directly where the bushing will ride around the bar. Liquid teflon might also work, but I believe the teflon tape is more durable and will last longer.

Good luck - I know this "squeak" can be annoying as I have the same car.

jP

:banghead: They ordered the wrong shocks even after I reminded them they were from Ford Racing !!!!

This is a common problem and I and many others have posted on this before. Mine was really bad during cold weather and seemed to improve some as it gets hotter. Before Bud left he sent me an e-mail to grease the rear sway bar. My Shelby squeaks worse over small bumps too. If you read the owners manual this is considered normal with a racing suspension. I don't particularily buy into that, I hate noise and rattles.

You would thinks spraying the bushings with a lubricant would work. I guess this is one of the joys of driving a Shelby, on any other car I would have let it get to me, but on my SGT I look at it as just one of the glitches the car has and ignore it.

When I go in for my first oil change and service I will ask the Ford dealer to check on it and also the muffler hangers as they have been reported as an issue to.

Just my thoughts ....... GG

This is a common problem and I and many others have posted on this before. Mine was really bad during cold weather and seemed to improve some as it gets hotter. Before Bud left he sent me an e-mail to grease the rear sway bar. My Shelby squeaks worse over small bumps too. If you read the owners manual this is considered normal with a racing suspension. I don't particularily buy into that, I hate noise and rattles.

You would thinks spraying the bushings with a lubricant would work. I guess this is one of the joys of driving a Shelby, on any other car I would have let it get to me, but on my SGT I look at it as just one of the glitches the car has and ignore it.

When I go in for my first oil change and service I will ask the Ford dealer to check on it and also the muffler hangers as they have been reported as an issue to.

Just my thoughts ....... GG

Spraying the bushings is an option but it usually won't work as the spray will not get where it needs to go. The bushing fits fairly tight around the sway bar. See post #5 in this thread.

I had the noise come from the pillars, stuffed them with news papers, enlarged the metal springs holding the plastic part and noise has gone away, I thought it was my springs also but not the case. As for the drone.... Well, I like my exhaust note loud!!!

The car is going to the Dealer Monday and will have the drone checked out. Squeak has stopped for now, maybe the WD40 worked.

Car is in the church parking lot, will not crank (not the battery)

Having towed, bummer!!!

In over 35 years of new Fords, first one to have trouble with. Been lucky.

I keep my car lubed with dry silcone not as messy as WD 40 I over the years once per year lube all moving pivots this has helped on Shelby and my other cars , I buy the lube at Wally Mart cant remember the name but in gold can that says dry lube I use it on shft lever also.

Update.

Bad starter replaced under warranty.

Drone: Tech "unable to verify any abnormal driveline noises at this time." Ha! Drone is so obvious any fool can hear it.

Either Tech was half deaf, heard it and didn't know what to do, or; heard it and didn't want to mess with it.

Will go to Speedy Muffler and have extra hangers added to exhaust.

Archived