TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008-09 KR'S selling new for $55-65,000 @ dealers

Never in a million years would I have thought that Shelby's marquee car, the GT500KR would even be available new to very many people with all of the hype and now 2 years after it's release they are sitting new @ dealers selling for close to $25k under M.S.R.P., and people still aren't buying them.

Is it the car, the economy or what is the deal.

Never in a million years would I have thought that Shelby's marquee car, the GT500KR would even be available new to very many people with all of the hype and now 2 years after it's release they are sitting new @ dealers selling for close to $25k under M.S.R.P., and people still aren't buying them.

Dealers were greedy.

Now there is NEW & IMPROVED! 2011 GT500 & the new 5.0 are out.

Too bad for the KR owners that paid ADM.

The Shelby was re introduced in 07` with people lined up to get them as it was only going to be a limited run of two years. Alot of buyers had their new Shelby by the time the KR came along & on top of that , the economy went for a sh-t. If I would have known they were going to make a KR I would have waited probably alot of other people would have to. I don`t believe there not selling because of the car itself.

The KR is an amazing vehicle. I feel it was a combination of dealers trying to make even more profit with ADM, along with the economy. When I was Shelby-shopping last year just about every dealership had a KR marked up $30-40k over MSRP, and some even had non-KR GT500s marked up $10-20k over sticker. Trying to mark UP from MSRP during a recession is a bad business move. I'm not a business major or anything, I could be crazy though. Up until a couple months ago, most of those dealerships still had the KRs on the lot. One of them isn't even a Ford dealership anymore! There's a KIA dealership in DFW with a GT500KR they can't sell.

Dealers were greedy.

Now there is NEW & IMPROVED! 2011 GT500 & the new 5.0 are out.

Too bad for the KR owners that paid ADM.

true, but the new body style simply can't compare to the prior model in my opinion

true, but the new body style simply can't compare to the prior model in my opinion

I agree, but there are a TON of "consumers" out there that will always opt for the newest next best thing to come along.

I think it absolutely has to do with the New GT500, it is better in every way than the old GT500 and in many ways better than the KR. I would have a difficult time if I were in the market picking between the 2, but more than likely would go KR if they were the same price just because I like to own cars that are not common.

It's a matter of supply and demand. The KR should have been a one year only release. Had that been the case, I believe the KR would not have needed the money Ford gave the dealers to help move them off the showroom. It's that Ford money that helped to lower the prices and allow me to purchase a KR.

I thank the two year run and the price drop every time I look at my KR and consider myself to be one lucky SOB.

When i was looking for one back in 2/10 MM had a hard time locating a red one. I can't believe that there are many red one's still out there.I did get my red one for a great price.These cars may never come again and are special in my book.

When i was looking for one back in 2/10 MM had a hard time locating a red one. I can't believe that there are many red one's still out there.I did get my red one for a great price.These cars may never come again and are special in my book.

I own one and love my car and paid M.S.R.P., I think it is disgusting to pay over sticker for any car, shame on any dealer who would even extort people like that, but if people are dumb enough to pay it, I guess it would be hard to turn it down.

I also agree that it is nice to have a car that you don't see everyday, and agree that it should have been a one year run, split between a hardtop and a conv.

I saw a Blue one here in Michigan yesterday simply beat to hell, some wealthy father bought it for his kid and he tore it to hell, dents everywhere, front spoiler broke, and the door had a huge gash it it, made me shake my head in disgust.

post-20972-127336178233_thumb.jpg

post-20972-127336178233_thumb.jpg

The guys who currently own a KR have something that is super special regarless of what price was paid. These creations are argueably the most strinkingly beautiful Mustangs ever offered for sale. I can still remember the 1st KR that I saw at a local dealer. The car was 1st in my perirpheral vision, turned my head and the sight of the beast literally stopped me in my tracks. A friend of mine is the sales mgr. there and said that even non-car people just stand and stare at it. There is an intangible factor that surrounds these cars that is very difficult to describe.

-------- HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY ------------ I think people paid the market price @ the time they purchased one. No body got a raw deal unless they paid over $100K. I don't think Mr Shelby and his crew will ever produce another " SHELBY " like this one. GET ONE WHILE THEY ARE STILL AROUND. Don't come crying on here when they are GONE. You can't compare this LTD run car to any new or future product FO. MO. CO .puts out . Just by attaching a Shelby emblem to the back of a Mustang and then making 30.000 is not the same thing as this KR model, and never will be to the true collector of Shelby cars. I have been collecting and selling Shelby's for 30+ years . I paid $ 10K for a low miles 66 GT350 in 1982 so for anyone who paid more got ????. I will go on record and say these KR's will be collectible very soon . Read this in 10 years.Remember the 1970 GT500's were left over 1969's that the dealers could not sell. All they did was have the FBI present when they changed the vin and a few other goodies.

-------- HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY ------------ I think people paid the market price @ the time they purchased one. No body got a raw deal unless they paid over $100K. I don't think Mr Shelby and his crew will ever produce another " SHELBY " like this one. GET ONE WHILE THEY ARE STILL AROUND. Don't come crying on here when they are GONE. You can't compare this LTD run car to any new or future product FO. MO. CO .puts out . Just by attaching a Shelby emblem to the back of a Mustang and then making 30.000 is not the same thing as this KR model, and never will be to the true collector of Shelby cars. I have been collecting and selling Shelby's for 30+ years . I paid $ 10K for a low miles 66 GT350 in 1982 so for anyone who paid more got ????. I will go on record and say these KR's will be collectible very soon . Read this in 10 years.Remember the 1970 GT500's were left over 1969's that the dealers could not sell. All they did was have the FBI present when they changed the vin and a few other goodies.

I envy you for having the opportunity to have owned and sold so many beautiful Shelby's, what # is you red KR.

The guys who currently own a KR have something that is super special regarless of what price was paid. These creations are argueably the most strinkingly beautiful Mustangs ever offered for sale. I can still remember the 1st KR that I saw at a local dealer. The car was 1st in my perirpheral vision, turned my head and the sight of the beast literally stopped me in my tracks. A friend of mine is the sales mgr. there and said that even non-car people just stand and stare at it. There is an intangible factor that surrounds these cars that is very difficult to describe.

+1 :yup:

Great post. :beerchug:

What do you think of the Super Snake? Which do you think will be more collectible in the future? KR or SS?

Most people ('the masses") are oohed and aaahhed by the latest and greatest. They want the fastest Mustang currently available.

Problem is next year they have last years model and one of 7000 to 8000 cars produced for their year of productoin.. Their car is as common and fungible as the oranges in the produce isle.

The KR and SGT and SGT/H are the only pre title cars from Shelby American in over 40 years. Likely will not be another pre title car from Shelby in quite some time.

KRs are only 1600 in number.

If I was buying a "driver" I may not buy the KR and would opt for the 2011 GT500 but...if I was buying a weekend muscle car for cruising and cruise nights its the KR hands down. When the KRs are gone from dealer lots they are gone.

How many of us would like to jump into a time warp and travel back to 1969 and buy one of those little ol' 289 Cobras or 427 Cobras looking all lonely and forelorn sitting on Ford dealer lots????

History tends to repeat itself. I think it will with the KR too. I agree with what Speedyman said there is definitely an intangible factor with the KR that draws people. It is an awesome car and garners attention and compliments wherever I take it.

I believe the KR will be future collectible and very desireble.

The bottom line is they built too many KR's (1600 is way too many to be a collectible if history is correct, if they built 160* now that would be a different story). So now people will buy new GT500's etc. (instead of the KR), because it's a better performer and cost less.

The bottom line is they built too many KR's (1600 is way too many to be a collectible if history is correct, if they built 160* now that would be a different story). So now people will buy new GT500's etc. (instead of the KR), because it's a better performer and cost less.

So using that logic a 68 KR is not a collectible?? The build numbers for the 08/09 models mirrored the original KR run. I paid less than a new 11 is going for now. Which do you think will be worth more tomorrow, next year, 10 years, 25 years ?? Your argument is flawed. Remember -- It's good to be THE KING!! :)

So using that logic a 68 KR is not a collectible?? The build numbers for the 08/09 models mirrored the original KR run. I paid less than a new 11 is going for now. Which do you think will be worth more tomorrow, next year, 10 years, 25 years ?? Your argument is flawed. Remember -- It's good to be THE KING!! smile.gif

If you can wait 42 years then I guess you got me... I was just giving my opinion on the lower price now & not many being sold. How many do you think rusted out since 1968 and are now on the road / in the garage? I bet that helps it's collectability. Now fast forward 42 years and all the tech & rust intelligence, = many more 08/09 KR's in good condition in year 2052 vs 1968 - 2010.

So 160 is the magic threshold not to cross in order to be collectible??? Really????

There are many muscle cars from the 60's and 70's that were produced in numbers more than 160 and many more thatn 1600 that are collectible today.

In fact the Ford GTs were produced in numbers just over 4000 with about 3000 left in the country. Are you going to tell us that the FGT is not a collectible or likely will not be? Also the new FGTs will walk an original Ford GT (GT40) and out perform it all day long. Does that render the original series non collectible??? I don't think so. Oh, and they made way more then 160 of the original GT40s. Almost forgot.

While there is no telling for sure what will be collectible in the future I think the odds of a KR becoming collectible is far and away better then your standard GT500 of any year .

Remember, while the new GT500 is a great car and may out perform a KR at the edge of the envelope. Its not a KR. Bottom line.

Again, if I'm buying a "driver" I buy the standard GT500. If I'm buying a pleasure weekend cruiser with good potential collectibility I'm buying a KR. No question or doubt about it. In fact, based on what you can buy a new KR for today buying a new standard GT500 instead as a weekend cruiser is foolish in my book as long as KRs are still available at dealers.

Real One, I didn't mean to offend you or any other KR owner or get off topic on my definition of a "collectible". I was stating why I believe (I*) there are a lot of KR's in dealerships brand new, with such a lower sale price. It's a beautiful car and I'm sure they will be more valuble than the new age GT500's because there was less made, badging etc. I drove a new 09KR and loved it, it's a great car and will be for years. surrender.gif

I find it interesting that this was your 160th post... :peelout:

Dp

So 160 is the magic threshold not to cross in order to be collectible??? Really????

There are many muscle cars from the 60's and 70's that were produced in numbers more than 160 and many more thatn 1600 that are collectible today.

In fact the Ford GTs were produced in numbers just over 4000 with about 3000 left in the country. Are you going to tell us that the FGT is not a collectible or likely will not be? Also the new FGTs will walk an original Ford GT (GT40) and out perform it all day long. Does that render the original series non collectible??? I don't think so. Oh, and they made way more then 160 of the original GT40s. Almost forgot.

While there is no telling for sure what will be collectible in the future I think the odds of a KR becoming collectible is far and away better then your standard GT500 of any year .

Remember, while the new GT500 is a great car and may out perform a KR at the edge of the envelope. Its not a KR. Bottom line.

Again, if I'm buying a "driver" I buy the standard GT500. If I'm buying a pleasure weekend cruiser with good potential collectibility I'm buying a KR. No question or doubt about it. In fact, based on what you can buy a new KR for today buying a new standard GT500 instand as a weekend cruiser is foolish in my book as long as KRs are still available at dealers.

Archived