TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Add factory HID to 2010?

I did a couple searches and didn't find what I am looking for. If it has already been discussed, please link me to a thread.

I am considering a pre-owned 2010 GT500. It is a nice car at a nice price with almost no miles with some goodies I want. And it is owned by a friend of a friend so I know that it has been well maintained.

But it does not have HID headlights which are something I really wanted. I am willing to live without them though. But if there is a way to transplant factory housings/ballasts, I would love to hear about how much money and how much work.

Has anyone researched it? I think I read a thread somewhere that the parts cost in the mid $1000's, But I may be wrong.

I did a couple searches and didn't find what I am looking for. If it has already been discussed, please link me to a thread.

I am considering a pre-owned 2010 GT500. It is a nice car at a nice price with almost no miles with some goodies I want. And it is owned by a friend of a friend so I know that it has been well maintained.

But it does not have HID headlights which are something I really wanted. I am willing to live without them though. But if there is a way to transplant factory housings/ballasts, I would love to hear about how much money and how much work.

Has anyone researched it? I think I read a thread somewhere that the parts cost in the mid $1000's, But I may be wrong.

I changed my non-HIDs to HIDs. The unit is all-in-one and includes the ballasts (they are not separate). The pigtail that plugs into the non-HIDs and the HIDs are different. The non-HIDs have a 3 prong pigtail and the HIDs have a 4 prong pigtail. If you buy the HID units from a dealership, make sure that you also order the pigtails to go with them. Then you have to supply the 4th extra wire on the HID pigtails with 12v switched power. It's pretty easy. Sounds complicated, but easy.

I changed my non-HIDs to HIDs. The unit is all-in-one and includes the ballasts (they are not separate). The pigtail that plugs into the non-HIDs and the HIDs are different. The non-HIDs have a 3 prong pigtail and the HIDs have a 4 prong pigtail. If you buy the HID units from a dealership, make sure that you also order the pigtails to go with them. Then you have to supply the 4th extra wire on the HID pigtails with 12v switched power. It's pretty easy. Sounds complicated, but easy.

Thank you. That's a lot of what I needed.

Is that 4th wire a higher amp draw or just a key on signal?

Thank you. That's a lot of what I needed.

Is that 4th wire a higher amp draw or just a key on signal?

I believe it's just a key on (12v switched) power supply. If you do the install and you experience flickering in the lights, you might have to install a diode inline between the power supply and the lights. It will regulate the voltage/amperage.

Archived