TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe Removal

I received a complete set of GTH stripes with my car and wondered if anyone has information on removing the old ones. Just how difficult is it and should it be left up to a professional? Thanks

Thanks for all the information guys. I did in fact take it to a professional classic car restoration shop and even then found out this is no easy task. They suggested removing the stripes, wheeling out the entire car, painting the stripes and then clearcoat the car. They suggested that the value would not be negatively affected and if anything may add value. The owner has been in the business for 30+ years and seeing the kind of work his shop does made me think twice about my original plans. (He also reminded me that the original Hertz Racers stripes were painted)

So the question is; what do you think about replacing the stripes with painted ones and would you be opposed to buying this car knowing the original stripes were removed and painted?

Thanks again.

I received a complete set of GTH stripes with my car and wondered if anyone has information on removing the old ones. Just how difficult is it and should it be left up to a professional? Thanks

I'm sure that others will chime in too, but stripe removal is a royal bitch.

I did mine on a 2008 SGT/BJ in September of 2009 when it was new, I would certainly advise you to have a pro do it, heat guns can melt plastic, you can make a mistake, go with a good graphics shop and have them do it for you..............

One other note, buy the best vinyl you can and don't cut any corners.........

GG

I HAD STRIPES ON MY CAR AND THEN REMOVED THEM AFTER HAVING THEM ON

FOR OVER 1 1/2 YEARS. THE BEST WAY IS TO PUT YOUR CAR IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR A

COUPLE HOURS AND GET THE EDGE OF THE STRIPE WHERE IT STARTS ON THE LEADING

EDGE OF EACH SECTION OR PANNEL ; THE HOOD , TRUNK ETC. I REMOVED MINE WITH

VERY LIKE DIFFICULTY IN ABOUT 1 HOUR. JUST GRAB THE EDGE

AND PULL. B.O.L.

SCOTTY

BEFORE............AND...............AFTER

post-18850-127311817945_thumb.jpg

post-18850-127311821302_thumb.jpg

post-18850-127311817945_thumb.jpg

post-18850-127311821302_thumb.jpg

+1. The GT-H stripes will not come off in one piece. They come off in little pieces. They were poor quality material and as a rental, most of them just baked in the sun. My GT-H was the third GT-H the shop had restriped. All of them were a 'royal bitch'. IMO, it was worth it. The new stripes look fantastic.

+1. The GT-H stripes will not come off in one piece. They come off in little pieces. They were poor quality material and as a rental, most of them just baked in the sun. My GT-H was the third GT-H the shop had restriped. All of them were a 'royal bitch'. IMO, it was worth it. The new stripes look fantastic.

Did you use Shelby stripes or some other?

I would most certainly have a professional graphics show do the work, both removal and re-install. I removed the stripes on my 2007 SGT myself, took over 8 hours of work, and the stripes came off in very little pieces, then you have to get the adhesive off. All of this taking care not to damage the paint. Even most paint and body shops don't have the expertise with vinyl graphics like sign shops do. It will be expensive but worth the cost. On the GTH just be careful to get the correct color, as the readily available vinyl color choices are either too greenish or too goldish. The original GTH stripes are made by Oracal with color code number 851, which is a "commercial" color, not usually available to the average graphic shop. Hope this helps, Larry

Did you use Shelby stripes or some other?

Restriping was a big mess for me. This is the very short version. The first botched attempt was with Shelby stripes. The second attempt with a different shop was during the end of the Scott Drake days of SPP and I had to get the stripes elsewhere. I have Oracal 951, color 925 on my GT-H both over the top and sides. The material is VERY hard to work with and it is a bit greener and more metallic. I would not recommend it. If you restripe, now that Robert and Sharon are running SPP, order the Shelby stripes. They are expensive, but original and worth it IMO.

A note to the original poster. If the backing on those stripes you have does not say Oracal 851, they do NOT match your side stripes exactly and they are not the original material. Also, Oracal 851 was discontinued by Oracal about a year ago and is not available from them and most (all?) suppliers.

I will be the opposite on the subject. If you have the time and patience, you can remove them yourself. Thats the easy part. The Application should be done by a pro (if you dont have experience). Some shops wont even touch the job, affraid of messing up and having to dish out the money for new ones.

I did them all myself, took a couple of days. Use a Heat gun to remove..just dont leave in one spot or you will be sorry

• 1 month later...

AMEN Brother, I had a pro replace my stripes and it was a nightnmare. SAI installed the GTH stripes prior to installing the grill, hood pins, hood scoop and nostrils and on an on and on. Need less to say everything had to come off. I am glad that I didnt attempt it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived