TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Introduces New GT350 Model

Any news on the engine tag? This a very important part of Shelby history. EVERY Shelby I have ever seen has had the tag riveted on metal. The "prototype" had the tag mounted on the plastic radiator cover.

This is simply a must do.

Great point. This is something that may have been overlooked. I will take this to the management team this week at our meeting.

Roger

I knew that the show car being "changed" was BS. The front and rear bumpers look very cheap. I can't believe someone would be happy spending that kind of coin and getting screwed in reverse lights on their JC Whitney body kit. Shelby should be ashamed of letting the car be released with the GT350 name as it currently stands.

SHELBY IF YOU WANT TO PLAY IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS ROUSH, SALEEN, AND SMS YOU NEED TO CREATE HIGHER QUALITY ORIGINAL BODY DESIGNS. The best "Shelby" is made at a Ford Factory. That shouldn't be the case.

Before anyone labels me a hater, I'm not. I care about the Shelby brand as a whole and think this car damages it. Shelby needs to get up to speed with the offerings from other after market Mustang companies. If not it will be another member of Automobile history.

"best" Shelby ??? I care to disagree, and would race a stock SGT/SC against a stock GT500 anyday...

IMO one is a road car and one is a drag car.

they are different cars for different ideas as is the SS and the KR...

Have you seen the bodykit in person and is it that bad...BTW the early Shelby's were not known for high end body work...its not a porsche...

it just costs as much!! hysterical.gif

Cheers and Shelby on!

This is VERY VERY cool and may move me to pull the trigger! I had no ZERO interest in a SC car and always felt the 5.0 was a great performer on its own. This is the package I wanted and at a price I could deal with. Can't wait to see the final version.

"best" Shelby ??? I care to disagree, and would race a stock SGT/SC against a stock GT500 anyday...

IMO one is a road car and one is a drag car.

they are different cars for different ideas as is the SS and the KR...

Have you seen the bodykit in person and is it that bad...BTW the early Shelby's were not known for high end body work...its not a porsche...

it just costs as much!! hysterical.gif

Cheers and Shelby on!

A 2010 GT500 and even more so a 2011 GT500 would run rings around a SGT with a SC. They aren't the same as the 07-09 in the handling department stock.

Just because the original Shelby's didn't have high end body work doesn't mean it's ok now. Times have changed. Appearance and performance are very important in a high dollar car.

I knew that the show car being "changed" was BS. The front and rear bumpers look very cheap. I can't believe someone would be happy spending that kind of coin and getting screwed in reverse lights on their JC Whitney body kit. Shelby should be ashamed of letting the car be released with the GT350 name as it currently stands.

SHELBY IF YOU WANT TO PLAY IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS ROUSH, SALEEN, AND SMS YOU NEED TO CREATE HIGHER QUALITY ORIGINAL BODY DESIGNS. The best "Shelby" is made at a Ford Factory. That shouldn't be the case.

Before anyone labels me a hater, I'm not. I care about the Shelby brand as a whole and think this car damages it. Shelby needs to get up to speed with the offerings from other after market Mustang companies. If not it will be another member of Automobile history.

+1

This is VERY VERY cool and may move me to pull the trigger! I had no ZERO interest in a SC car and always felt the 5.0 was a great performer on its own. This is the package I wanted and at a price I could deal with. Can't wait to see the final version.

Same here. The GT350 looked to me like a hotwheels toy car. I wanted a GT350 Muscle Car that I can take to the track.

Putting SHELBY across the back bumper was a joke.

GT350 logo built into the hood stripes....are you kidding me???

Having multiple logos on every turn of the head is way too much.

I too believe the 07-09 GT500 had it right. Not overly stated. Doesn't look like a Japanese style tuned car. Those body kits on the GT350 looked to me like they came out of someones body kit catalog. Something a 20 year old would put on his Mustang with a rivet gun.

Please, Please, Please clean up the car, make it look like high-end (hello $26,995) and do the name justice.

Same here. The GT350 looked to me like a hotwheels toy car. I wanted a GT350 Muscle Car that I can take to the track.

Putting SHELBY across the back bumper was a joke.

Initially I felt the same way, but I wasn't surprised either knowing that Larry Wood's hands were in the design. However, the car is slowly growing on me and yes, if some of the badging is taken off (less is more in this case) I think it will be quite a good looking car.

As far as the body kit, I would like to remind everybody that vehicle aerodynamics have become much more important since 1965. Back then they didn't really care about it on a street car. What I would be curious about is if the Shelby guys ever put this GT350 into a windtunnel just to see if it actually has a better drag coefficient than the stock Mustang...

For example, when we did the KR, drag was the main reason to put the smaller rear spoiler on it vs. the original GT500 one. The car was lowered and had a longer front chin lip and that setup was clashing with the long spoiler.

What visual differences - if any - will there be between the n/a and sc versions?

I vote for -

N/A - GT350

S/C - GT350

Just like '65/66!

MM

You have a point. Previous communication led potential customers to believe that a SC automatic could be had. It appears the homework was then done and determined that an SC auto is not possible due to what is most likely trans limitations. Not a big deal but maybe a piece of the puzzle as to why Amy is no longer around.

I'm not trying to cause problems, just stating that PR statements out of SAI have been a little foggy lately. However, I'm sure they'll be heading in a better direction under new leadership.

Actually, the naturally aspirated (non-Supercharged) GT350 was an AmyB program as was the GT350 with an automatic transmission. ;)

Actually, the naturally aspirated (non-Supercharged) GT350 was an AmyB program as was the GT350 with an automatic transmission. wink.gif

You might as well go ahead and make a GT350 Convertable with automatic as an option also. Since you have opted for N/A, which in this economy is a great management decision, I would try to put together another GT 350 option closer to the price tag of the original SGT.

Mustangs look best when they are tastefully understated and I would use the Cobra in the grill and sides, just my toughts...

GG

Actually, the naturally aspirated (non-Supercharged) GT350 was an AmyB program as was the GT350 with an automatic transmission. ;)

Robert,

Thank you for the additional insight. I think possibly my post was misinterpreted. I meant nothing of Amy's business decisions on programs but rather what I percieved as a lack of clear communication and setting a release up for clear cut success. I have no doubt the GT350 and its variants will be a successful vehicle for SAI just as it was in the past. As a matter of fact I am very close on choosing between that and the GT500. I'm just waiting to see the first actual GT350 as opposed to a pre-production unit.

Jason

A 2010 GT500 and even more so a 2011 GT500 would run rings around a SGT with a SC. They aren't the same as the 07-09 in the handling department stock.

Just because the original Shelby's didn't have high end body work doesn't mean it's ok now. Times have changed. Appearance and performance are very important in a high dollar car.

I do not agree, I think you would be hard pressed to beat a SC'd SGT on a track in either of the heavier cars without some serious race prep. In fact I think you may be surprised at the 4.6 in a SGT that is blown. We have had posts from a member or two that have both cars and they feel the SGT/SC is faster...but think what you want, I have never seen a GT500 on a road course so I have no personal experience...

In my mind they are drag cars, but what do I know. There was one on this forum set up with a full griggs and tons of power now that is a seriously prepped car. But the SGT/SC against a GT500 without serious mods would see the GT500 watching taillights I am sure. Until the stock SGT brakes faded (hence the popularity of the brembo upgrade).

The whole line of the '11 suspension is so much better I find hard to believe, but time will tell.

The SGT has been known to surprise 911's ask Ford fan he's good at it!

I wish you lived near Portland....

We could have some friendly fun...Shelbys are what they are made for fun, and as the Man himself said they are made to be driven.

I would love to see a GT350 in person...they look pretty cool in the pics....

Cheers.

Any news on the engine tag? This a very important part of Shelby history. EVERY Shelby I have ever seen has had the tag riveted on metal. The "prototype" had the tag mounted on the plastic radiator cover.

This is simply a must do.

:lurk:

Great point. This is something that may have been overlooked. I will take this to the management team this week at our meeting.

Roger

How did the meeting go? Now that you have some cars there it's probably time to make a decision.

We cannot crayon or shoe polish the new tinted glass. It will etch the glass and will leave the letter/number outline.

We are having placards made which we can write the first name last in ital and CSM number that will stick to the inside of the windshield. Sort of like the dealer stock number piece of cardboard with sticky end edges. Just a larger size.

The sales department will fill out and the arrival/check in crew will affix to the windshield.

Roger

Randy,

While I realize that just as all Shelby owners think theirs is the best, I have never been passed by a Terlingua or SGT on the track at Vegas. Now that track is not corner passing friendly, so that may be the reason, and I agree my GT500 is a bulldozer in the corners compared to the SGT and especially the Terlinguas, the acceleration out of the corners and in the straights is pretty much all GT500...

But different tracks yield different results...

I dont think you can make blanket statements one car is better than another under any track....or that would be the only car any of us would buy... :hysterical:

Archived