TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Introduces New GT350 Model

shelby-american-logo.jpg

• Shelby Expands 2011 Shelby GT350 Line with Normally Aspirated Model

• Engine Retuned without Supercharger

• Demand for a Track Oriented Model and 6 speed Automatic Stimulates Option

SHELBY AMERICAN EXPANDS GT350 LINE WITH TRACK ORIENTED, AUTOMATIC VERSIONS OF MODERN PONY CAR

LAS VEGAS – May 5, 2010 – Shelby American, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI:PK) will expand the 2011 Shelby GT350 program to offer a normally aspirated version aimed at competition in Sports Car Club of America events and allow the street car to be ordered with an automatic transmission. The GT350 will be offered in both normally aspirated and supercharged versions as part of a post-title program through select dealers across the United States.

The normally aspirated version of the GT350 was driven by consumer demand. SCCA racing rules typically preclude a post-title added supercharger and the stresses of a forced induction are typically too much for an automatic transmission in a high performance car.

“When we brought back the GT350, people wanted to race it like they did with our Shelby GT,” said Shelby American Founder Carroll Shelby. “Others asked for an automatic transmission. So we’re dropping the supercharger, retuning the engine and adding an automatic. This gives people more choices with the GT350.”

One of the goals for the Shelby GT350 is for it to be eligible for Sports Car Club of America racing, much like the 2007-2008 Shelby GT. Those piloting a Shelby GT dominated the top spots in both the women’s and men’s F stock class with Sam Strano capturing the national championship last year.

“The GT350 is a street car that is perfect for track day and solo racing activities,” added John Luft Shelby president. “Beginning with the small block Ford Mustang GT, we worked with Ford Racing, Borla, Goodyear and Baer to create a car that should be competitive right out of the box.”

The GT350 is an enthusiast’s dream. It is powered by the 5.0 liter V8 coupled to a 6 speed transmission. The front calipers are Shelby 6-piston and 14” rotors with ERADISPEED rotors on the back and cooling ducts for all four corners. The suspension features new Ford Racing springs, struts, sway bars and adjustable caster/camber plates. The Goodyear 19” tires are a new, aggressive compound.

Each GT350 will be clad in traditional white with Shelby Guardsman blue Le Mans stripes. The car also receives a new front fascia, tail light trim, front splitter, rear deck lid filler panel and rear fascia. Functional scoops are located on the side rockers and hood. GT350 badges on the outside and inside include a Shelby serial number.

“We plan to have development finished and begin building normally aspirated versions of the GT350 by late summer,” said Shelby American vice president of production Gary Davis. “This ensures that the car will be fully sorted and ready for fun on the street or track.”

The Shelby GT350 is a post title program based on the new Ford Mustang GT. A customer purchases a car from a local Ford dealer, which is turned into a GT350 by the Shelby American Team. A limited number will be built in the 2011 model year. A Ford Mustang GT can be dropped shipped by a Ford dealer to Shelby’s Las Vegas facility for conversion or a customer can arrange to have a properly specified car transported to the factory.

The price for the normally aspirated GT350 upfit package is $26,995.00 plus any options, not including the base Ford Mustang GT. The supercharged version of the GT350 post title package by Shelby American has a MSRP of $33,995 and does not include the price of the base car.

Customers interested in either a supercharged or normally aspirated GT350 should call (702) 942-7325 or log onto gt350.shelbyamerican.com.

About Shelby American, Inc. and Carroll Shelby Licensing

Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby American Inc., (www.shelbyamerican.com) manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. Shelby American is a division of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI.PK). Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc., also a wholly owned division, is the exclusive holder of Carroll Shelby's trademarks and vehicle design rights. It also holds trademark rights for Shelby-branded apparel, accessories and collectibles. Information is at www.carrollshelbyinternational.com.

Well....

The CARB approval for the SC package is supposed to be done by FR the end of June (?) per GP. If that timeline is accurate, then yes, it would make sense that the NA 350 would be completed by August/September.

It's early May now, August/September will come alot quicker than you think. 3.5 months is really not that long to wait. Early SS cars took that long to complete. On the on the other hand, it would probably seem like an eternity when you have a paid for car that's just sitting in the Nevada desert for 3.5 months. hysterical.gif

3.5 or 4 months, "good things will come to those that wait".

Being one of the 1st GT350 to show up at Mid America is really overrated if you think about it for a moment. Sure, the attention is fun, but then you have to live with a decison that you may have made just to be "first". Remember, your CSM number won't change, just the delivery time, that's all.

As always, this is just my personal opinion.

and does the NA version have to be an automatic?

Im not sure from reading the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs.

shrug.gif

Nope.

and does the NA version have to be an automatic?

Im not sure from reading the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs.

:shrug:

It is confusing. I would think the track version would be a 6 speed manual, and the street version could be SC with the manual or no SC with either a manual or an automatic.

No SC with the automatics. NA or SC for the 6-speeds, track or otherwise.

That's from GP's mouth.

LAS VEGAS May 5, 2010 Shelby American, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI:PK) will expand the 2011 Shelby GT350 program to offer a normally aspirated version aimed at competition in Sports Car Club of America events and allow the street car to be ordered with an automatic transmission. The GT350 will be offered in both normally aspirated and supercharged versions as part of a post-title program through select dealers across the United States....

The GT350 is an enthusiast’s dream. It is powered by the 5.0 liter V8 coupled to a 6 speed transmission.

Then why didn't say it that way from the beginning :huh:

You have a point. Previous communication led potential customers to believe that a SC automatic could be had. It appears the homework was then done and determined that an SC auto is not possible due to what is most likely trans limitations. Not a big deal but maybe a piece of the puzzle as to why Amy is no longer around.

I'm not trying to cause problems, just stating that PR statements out of SAI have been a little foggy lately. However, I'm sure they'll be heading in a better direction under new leadership.

Unless something has changed, the original 2200 cap still stands.

You have a point. Previous communication led potential customers to believe that a SC automatic could be had. It appears the homework was then done and determined that an SC auto is not possible due to what is most likely trans limitations. Not a big deal but maybe a piece of the puzzle as to why Amy is no longer around.

I'm not trying to cause problems, just stating that PR statements out of SAI have been a little foggy lately. However, I'm sure they'll be heading in a better direction under new leadership.

From Roger a couple of months ago...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52736-2011-shelby-gt350-important-ordering-information/page__view__findpost__p__898012

Not a big deal but maybe a piece of the puzzle as to why Amy is no longer around.

I don't think that they would let Amy go because of a tactical issue (such as the introduction of the AT GT350). I believe it must have been a strategic disagreement between her and the board. To see the results of a change in strategy by the new management will take time. It always does.

LAS VEGAS – May 5, 2010 – Shelby American, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI:PK) will expand the 2011 Shelby GT350 program to offer a normally aspirated version aimed at competition in Sports Car Club of America events and allow the street car to be ordered with an automatic transmission. The GT350 will be offered in both normally aspirated and supercharged versions as part of a post-title program through select dealers across the United States....

The GT350 is an enthusiast’s dream. It is powered by the 5.0 liter V8 coupled to a 6 speed transmission.

Thanks for highlighting exactly the parts of the release that confuse the :censored: out of me. But GD's no BS way of saying is much more clear.

Here's the lineup:

Shelby GT350 - Manual Transmission, SuperCharged

Shelby GT350 - Manual Transmission, non-SuperCharged

Shelby GT350 - Automatic Transmission. non-SuperCharged

Production:

2,200 over two years

Changes from concept to production:

• The fender badge was changed to "SHELBY" instead of the larger GT350 badge due to redundancy with the GT350 rocker stripe.

• A slight smoothing of the line on the front fascia and then the line around the hood scoop was smoothed to facilitate striping.

I hope this helps clarify the release.

Here's the lineup:

Production:

2,200 over two years

• The fender badge was changed to "SHELBY" instead of the larger GT350 badge due to redundancy with the GT350 rocker stripe.

• A slight smoothing of the line on the front fascia and then the line around the hood scoop was smoothed to facilitate striping.

Certainly does Robert, thank you! I look forward to seeing the production pictures as I'm sure there are several thousand others who are also looking forward to it. 2,200 is nice because it's limited but still gives the average joe a chance to get his name in.

I thought the front and rear facias were to be one piece on the production cars, therefore no lines or seams at all. Now it sounds like there are seams or "slight seams." What happened to the one piece facias?

I just have to say that everyone at Shelby American is doing a great job and I have two questions

1) With the NA version you said that it has been retuned or something, (unless I read incorrectly) I am assuming that given the nature of Shelby and how good everyone there is at making more power can you tell us how much more power it is making?

2) Can you tell us more about the supercharger like how much boost you are using and maybe some power numbers?

I thought the front and rear facias were to be one piece on the production cars, therefore no lines or seams at all. Now it sounds like there are seams or "slight seams." What happened to the one piece facias?

I knew that the show car being "changed" was BS. The front and rear bumpers look very cheap. I can't believe someone would be happy spending that kind of coin and getting screwed in reverse lights on their JC Whitney body kit. Shelby should be ashamed of letting the car be released with the GT350 name as it currently stands.

SHELBY IF YOU WANT TO PLAY IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS ROUSH, SALEEN, AND SMS YOU NEED TO CREATE HIGHER QUALITY ORIGINAL BODY DESIGNS. The best "Shelby" is made at a Ford Factory. That shouldn't be the case.

Before anyone labels me a hater, I'm not. I care about the Shelby brand as a whole and think this car damages it. Shelby needs to get up to speed with the offerings from other after market Mustang companies. If not it will be another member of Automobile history.

JP

The front and rear will be one piece on the production unit. The lines will be smoothed out in the final mold or less pronounced.

Roger

I just have to say that everyone at Shelby American is doing a great job and I have two questions

1) With the NA version you said that it has been retuned or something, (unless I read incorrectly) I am assuming that given the nature of Shelby and how good everyone there is at making more power can you tell us how much more power it is making?

2) Can you tell us more about the supercharger like how much boost you are using and maybe some power numbers?

1. Ford Racing is finalizing tuning. We should have final numbers to share at completion.

2. Same as above but there has been durability testing being done and we will also share upon completion.

Roger

For the record, the pre-production proto-type is labeled as such because it is what it is. Changes can and have been made and could still be made prior to the first production units roll out of the factory.

All of the parts attached were produced in fiberglass, produced in stages. The front fascia on the proto-type needed to be cast in 3 pieces, hense the pronounced and very bold body lines and seams. The production pieces are one piece urathane OEM quality produced by a tier 1 Ford Motor Company Supplier.

Roger

Here's the lineup:

Production:

2,200 over two years

Both of those changes were needed badly and I'm very happy to see that they were made. The car will look infinitely cleaner with those two simple revisions. Also, kudos to SA for offering an NA model. That ought to help get them closer to the 2200 they want to sell. I just hope that I can come up with the dough in time to buy one new, before the end of the run.

Any news on the engine tag? This a very important part of Shelby history. EVERY Shelby I have ever seen has had the tag riveted on metal. The "prototype" had the tag mounted on the plastic radiator cover.

This is simply a must do.

For the record, the pre-production proto-type is labeled as such because it is what it is. Changes can and have been made and could still be made prior to the first production units roll out of the factory.

All of the parts attached were produced in fiberglass, produced in stages. The front fascia on the proto-type needed to be cast in 3 pieces, hense the pronounced and very bold body lines and seams. The production pieces are one piece urathane OEM quality produced by a tier 1 Ford Motor Company Supplier.

Roger

That's good to know. Are the reverse lights still going to be screwed in? I hope you all produce some shots of the final product soon. :)

Archived