TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Perspectives on 67 GT500 or KR clones

Eventually I will have to address my 67 GTA body/paint issues, it's a great 10 foot car. Going down the well worn path of how one thing leads to another, first the paint, then the chrome etc. I am wondering if I should consider making this car a clone and calling it that or a tribute. It's not an original car, I bought it as Candy Apple Red but the codes have it as yellow with a green frost interior. It is a true GTA although the codes don't tell you that but with the combination of options it would hard to say it isn't. The engine is a 331 stroker so it wouldn't even be correct for a GT350 with a 289 so I'd be a bit off even if I went that route.

So, I am interested in feedback from anyone, good and bad about doing a clone/tribute. I'd never try to pass it off as a real Shelby, I think that is criminal. Obviously, other than the 1 prototype there were no Shelby convertibles in 67 anyway.

My options would be to keep the current drivetrain and go for a GT350 or get a 428 and make it a GT500 or add the bits to make it a GT500 KR.

Thanks in advance.

GT500 rolls

I like your car just how it is!

But you have to do what will make you happy... If you are doing paint work, body changes and drivetrain swapping though, you might be better off selling it and building another how you like.

I like your car just how it is!

But you have to do what will make you happy... If you are doing paint work, body changes and drivetrain swapping though, you might be better off selling it and building another how you like.

Thank you, I like it as well. Yours is the voice of reason for sure, it would be easiest and cost the least to just do the body, paint and chrome keeping it the way it is.

I'm also trying to figure out how the final product will be perceived and accepted by the Shelby community at large.

+1 on liking your car how it is. Myself, I'm a bit of a purist - I agree that you have to build the car to make you happy, but for me I know that I would be happier with an original GTA, than a clone or "tribute" car.

So, as you're asking for advice, here's mine - get the car painted back to the original color, replace or restore the badging and chrome, and if the drivetrain you have is in good condition, clean/dress it up (as necessary), and keep it as a nice driver car. Red is a classic color for convertibles, but yellow is my favorite colour of all for cars (yes, I am biased! :) )

Chris.

I struggled with the same dilemma when I first picked up my 66 fastback. I wanted badly to build a GT-350 clone, but decided that I just couldn't do it. It would have been a lot easier and cheaper build than the custom, restomod route I chose, but at the end of the day, I had built my own car exactly the way I wanted it and I'd never have to explain that it wasn't 'authentic' or 'original'.

I'd say either build a custom car or restore it to the original GTA it was. As for being accepted by the Shelby community, you've got a legit Shelby already for that. The clone will always bring nay sayers and nose raisers at any function, in my opinion. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I will some day build a GT350 clone/tribute from a 66 beater. That is my plan anyway unless I find a clean 66 just to leave alone. To that end, you car looks nice as it sits. Refresh the paint & crome and enjoy.

I'll probably get slammed for this, but, I say paint it back to its original Springtime Yellow with Ivy Gold interior, get the Marti Report to see how rare it is, then do the drivetrain how you want it...stock on the outside, and updated suspension, brakes, and steering. I used this theory on several 65-70 Shelby's in the past years and actually sold them for MORE than concours restored ones were going for. Keep in mind...those that grew up in the 60's and 70's that couldn't afford them then but can now, still love the body styles, but usually hate the way they steer, handle and drive. I am one of those that hate the way the old ones drive, steer, and brake....I could bore you for days about what I have done to early model Mustangs and Shelby's over the years to make them more fun to drive....I still have a 67 GT350 I have owned for 19 years and will not go all stock with it when I get to it....6 speed....4 wheel discs, rack and pinion....

Alex

Hehe...yeah, rare doesn't always mean desirable....I once owned a 67 fastback in Springtime Yellow with Ivy Gold deluxe interior..it wasn't too bad....if it wasn't an original K code, GT, 4 speed, traction lock, both consoles, deluxe interior, factory tach, ribbed rear panel, 1 owner car, I would have changed it...it was one of one, according to Kevin....seriously, get the Marti report, then decide...

PS...I sold that car for $115K in 04....before the market really took off and then crashed...

Alex

Hehe...yeah, rare doesn't always mean desirable....I once owned a 67 fastback in Springtime Yellow with Ivy Gold deluxe interior..it wasn't too bad....if it wasn't an original K code, GT, 4 speed, traction lock, both consoles, deluxe interior, factory tach, ribbed rear panel, 1 owner car, I would have changed it...it was one of one, according to Kevin....seriously, get the Marti report, then decide...

PS...I sold that car for $115K in 04....before the market really took off and then crashed...

Alex

That is some price to get for the car - tip top of the market for a non Shelby for sure. I've had the VIN decoded, there are no designations for GT or non GT but a few options that make it nothing but.

The car has the deluxe interior, console, tach but it was a 2V 289, turn signal hood, ribbed rear panel, chrome rocker trim, power conv top, front discs, power brakes, power steering, swing away delux steering wheel, with a 3.00 open rear but it has airconditioning. I think one of the only options it does not have are the courtesy lights. Since it wasn't originally Candy Apple red I never considered it to be highly valuable (given the color was changed) and it wasn't going back to a yellow/green combo. The drivetrain was very tired so it's all been upgraded making it less original than before. So a great driver that I eventually need to finish by doing body/paint/chrome.

The one I let get away (well my wife didn't want to spend that much at the time - I tried to explain it costs more to do it later) was an S-Code (390) Red GTA convertible with red interior and a white top (looks like mine), 2nd owner in great shape original condition. $21k in 2001. Would have been an amazing buy for sure, whish I could go back in time. Guess lots of guys say that!

I agree with Alex. Get the Marti report and verify what you have. The URL is www.martiauto.com

IMO a real GTA w/ all those options is pretty special. I'd repaint it - red or the original springtime yellow. I definitely agree on the interior. I couldn't live with the green interior either.

I agree with Alex. Get the Marti report and verify what you have. The URL is www.martiauto.com

IMO a real GTA w/ all those options is pretty special. I'd repaint it - red or the original springtime yellow. I definitely agree on the interior. I couldn't live with the green interior either.

One thing is for certain - when it gets painted it will be candyapple red just like it is now. There is a much higher probability that I'll keep it a GTA if for no other reason than it's lots less expensive to go that route. A GTA is still something you don't see that often so I really like that aspect too. I'm still a few years off doing body and paint on it as I've got a few other priorities and it is a good 10 foot car now anyway.

Definately get the Marti Report...that way you'll know how rare it is and if it is an original GTA...be sure to post back and tell us...

That 390 GTA vert for $21K was a steal!!

Alex

Definately get the Marti Report...that way you'll know how rare it is and if it is an original GTA...be sure to post back and tell us...

That 390 GTA vert for $21K was a steal!!

Alex

I will check out the Marti Report - I was told that one can't tell by the VIN if a car is a GT, GTA etc but it does tell major options, factory, date, colors, engine, trans and body style.

I have also faced this question after I got rid of my 07 SGT, and replaced it with a 'regular' 08 GT. I realized a few things from the experience:

1) I think what most of us are wanting is just the Shelby experience; to have fun caring, collecting and driving the car. It's very uplifting.

2) No disrespect here, but it's still a Mustang. I mean, the basic structure is the same car with various modifications. We aren't comparing a Mustang to a Daytona coupe.

3) You have to be happy with it long term. Look at this way- Shelbys are always fun to roll in with at a car show. However, in the long term I probably would've gotten bored with it- since I know it's not genuine. I could care less what other people think- since it would done correctly anyway- but I'd know it wasn't real.

So, to sum this up, I never did built a clone or tribute car, but I DID take the INSPIRATION from the Shelby models. After all, Carroll Shelby didn't copy something originally. Instead, he came up with a new design. At this point, you can get where my vote goes. Keep the car an original GTA convertible. Paint color isn't a big deal to me. I can honestly tell you, if I see your 67 at a car show as a GTA convertible, I'm going to stop and look at it. On the other hand, if I look at a car that I can tell isn't a real Shelby, I won't bother with it. I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

I have also faced this question after I got rid of my 07 SGT, and replaced it with a 'regular' 08 GT. I realized a few things from the experience:

1) I think what most of us are wanting is just the Shelby experience; to have fun caring, collecting and driving the car. It's very uplifting.

2) No disrespect here, but it's still a Mustang. I mean, the basic structure is the same car with various modifications. We aren't comparing a Mustang to a Daytona coupe.

3) You have to be happy with it long term. Look at this way- Shelbys are always fun to roll in with at a car show. However, in the long term I probably would've gotten bored with it- since I know it's not genuine. I could care less what other people think- since it would done correctly anyway- but I'd know it wasn't real.

So, to sum this up, I never did built a clone or tribute car, but I DID take the INSPIRATION from the Shelby models. After all, Carroll Shelby didn't copy something originally. Instead, he came up with a new design. At this point, you can get where my vote goes. Keep the car an original GTA convertible. Paint color isn't a big deal to me. I can honestly tell you, if I see your 67 at a car show as a GTA convertible, I'm going to stop and look at it. On the other hand, if I look at a car that I can tell isn't a real Shelby, I won't bother with it. I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm 90% sure it will stay a GTA at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys - the Marti report is on the list, just a bunch of stuff ahead of it.

hope you do leave it as the GTA...but I hate to see anyone stuggle that much over their decision...so I'll just plan on picking it up next week and let you know what I decided to do w/ the car. Of course, I plan on paying you $2000. for your time and trouble :hysterical:

You knew that was coming...didn't you? Good talking to you today. Craig

hope you do leave it as the GTA...but I hate to see anyone stuggle that much over their decision...so I'll just plan on picking it up next week and let you know what I decided to do w/ the car. Of course, I plan on paying you $2000. for your time and trouble hysterical.gif

You knew that was coming...didn't you? Good talking to you today. Craig

Good to talk to you too -

I have lots of sweat and money in that car, I really have to keep it as a GTA. Also, I think I'm going to decline your very generous offer, I couldn't do that to you but thanks anyway.

Maybe someday I'll get a 66, 67 or 68 Shelby. That would be cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 65 Clone and this is from my point of view . I do not understand why Shelby owners would treat clone owners poorly. I am enjoying mine. I drive mine on the street and get lots of compliments, even when I tell people its a clone. A lot of the purist with originals are to afraid to drive theirs. No one on the planet ever sees an original sitting in the parking lot at a grociery store anymore. The only way to see them is if one was trailered or driven to a car show. At least people get a taste of what an original 65 Shelby would look and sound like on the street when I drive mine. I have my car for the long haul, so I will not ever sell mine. The question is what do you want. As a Mustang, your car already fits the cool factor bill. As a GTA, makes it sweater. But its up to you. If you plan on selling it, then mabey consider keeping it original. You can also add tasteful mods, as long as the car can be returned to original easly. But if you want that Shelby you know you will never be able to buy because of the "out of this world prices", then clone it. After all, a clone is a copy and should be taken as a compliment, not an insult. I joined this club because Mr. Shelby stated" it doesn't matter if you own a Shelby". Well I don't, but I do love Shelbys and I own the next best thing, a clone, actually a "TRIBUTE " to MR. Shelbys original racehorse. By the way, if you do make a tribute Shelby, do not worry about any of those snobish purist that think they are better than you because their car is real and yours is not. By the way, 68-70 Shelbys were built by Ford, not Mr. Shelby and his shop.

lets see some pics denstang!

Here is another pic of my car. No, I am not a dwarf, its my boy washing my car on a warm, sunny So. Cal afternoon.

post-28087-127889960875_thumb.jpg

post-28087-127889960875_thumb.jpg

looks sweet!

Thank you. So is yours.And I think the pop rivited hood scoops are just so cool looking on the GTs. Take care of her. Oh, by the way here is a pic of another Shelby that I have had for 19 months and I absolutly love her. If anyone ever comes up to me and ask if she is for sale, I will say no,no,no way!

post-28087-127890322522_thumb.jpg

post-28087-127890322522_thumb.jpg

Archived