Shelby Extreme (Baer) rear brake install

Slabo

Another five for you.

IMGP1702.jpg

IMGP1697.jpg

IMGP1698.jpg

IMGP1701.jpg

IMGP1705.jpg

Stop it your killin me. :hysterical: Great pictures although they bring up the brake cooling kit install portion. Have read that some people had issues with the cooling backing plates with the Bear Extreme front brakes. Did you have to do any thing extra for the backing plate install. Thanks again for posting the pictures.

Yes, we had to cut away a section where the bigger calipers are. Also in the front the outer tie rod end is close to it. Bending it a bit there. You can see somewhat less clearance between rotor there in comparison to top. Photo 4 shows it.

Ok first and foremost I want to thank everyone for their help and advice. A special thanks to Dutch GT500 and Slabo for their info on this. As requested I will post a few pictures. I will post some different pictures of areas that I did a little different and a few before and after of course.

BaerBrakes007.jpg

Of course the stock brakes

BaerBrakes027.jpg

The KR cooling shields hit the rotors so I use a little persuasion to reduce the thickness of the shields to clear the rotors

BaerBrakes023.jpg

Since the new calipers are larger a small amount needs to be trimmed of the top and bottom edge of the shield so it will fit properly

BaerBrakes053.jpg

I did not like the idea of tie straps so I cut the ABS cable holders of the stock lines and installed them on the new lines

BaerBrakes058.jpg

Here is the installed fronts

BaerBrakes066.jpg

Picture with the wheels on. Tight fit but plenty of clearance

Now for the rears.

BaerBrakes033.jpg

Stock rear brakes

BaerBrakes035.jpg

Wow what a differance in rotor size

BaerBrakes040.jpg

Nice job on the emergency brake setup

BaerBrakes046.jpg

New FRPP M-4033-G2 Diff cover. It clears the panard bar fine.

BaerBrakes051.jpg

Shot of the back side. Used the old ABS clip from the original hose. Drilled hole in bracket like Slabo suggested.

BaerBrakes056.jpg

Completed rears

BaerBrakes060.jpg

Fills up those rear wheels alot better!

Edited by Rag Top Day

Great job Ragtop! The red calipers look awesome with your car. Now comes the hard part. Taking it easy until you wear through the coating. I guess since you have to drive maybe its the good part. You have to put on 250-300 miles with no hard use first. Here is the excerpt from the pad bedding from Baer:

"If the new rotor surface finish is plated or the rotor is used with a compound other than the SPORT-TOURING ceramic-based pad, increase the commuter type driving with no hard use, to a total of 250-300-miles to accomplish the blending of the pad surface to the rotor surface." Then season them, then bed them.

have fun!

That looks great. Nice write up.

Because of the bad weather I still have to do some miles. Just did the 70 miles back from the shop, mostly interstate so less braking.

Yup that's right Dutch it has to be mostly around town type driving to work the brakes but nothing hard. Took me some time to get that out of the way. I am working on the rears now. Just took a great drive yesterday. Did some country driving and some around town.

Ok first and foremost I want to thank everyone for their help and advice. A special thanks to Dutch GT500 and Slabo for their info on this. As requested I will post a few pictures. I will post some different pictures of areas that I did a little different and a few before and after of course.

Can't wait to add those to mine someday.

But I must ask, has your car ever been driven? Damn that's clean!

Can't wait to add those to mine someday.

But I must ask, has your car ever been driven? Damn that's clean!

She has 7500 miles on her and does get driven. Try not to drive in the rain although when we picked her up out of state we got stuck in a big thunder storm so that shot the never been driven in the rain deal :hysterical: Luckly my wife agreed to our new garage with a lift so as Slabo will probably agree with, it makes cleaning alot eazier! A little OCD might have something to do with it also. thanks TX STIG

She has 7500 miles on her and does get driven. Try not to drive in the rain although when we picked her up out of state we got stuck in a big thunder storm so that shot the never been driven in the rain deal :hysterical: Luckly my wife agreed to our new garage with a lift so as Slabo will probably agree with, it makes cleaning alot eazier! A little OCD might have something to do with it also. thanks TX STIG

LOL ain't that the true. My wife came out to the shop and I was cleaning the underside and she just shook her head and laughed. I am still part of the rusty butt club. How about you Rag Top? I think I will let Alex handle that with a RBST (rusty butt spa treatment).

LOL ain't that the true. My wife came out to the shop and I was cleaning the underside and she just shook her head and laughed. I am still part of the rusty butt club. How about you Rag Top? I think I will let Alex handle that with a RBST (rusty butt spa treatment).

I am a very lucky guy! My wife is a car person and helps clean the car for shows and she helped with the install of the Brakes on the Shelby. We have alot of fun working on the car togeather. No rusty butt here, even cleaned and painted areas when old brakes were taken off.

LOL...you and Pam can follow me back to Palm Springs after Grabber's, stay for a couple days, have a nice little vacation, get your RBST and anything else you desire done, then head back to WA...will be a fun trip and you can caravan with all the Shelby's heading back to CA. I will even let you say at my house so you don't need to pay for a hotel...Let me know...

Alex

LOL...you and Pam can follow me back to Palm Springs after Grabber's, stay for a couple days, have a nice little vacation, get your RBST and anything else you desire done, then head back to WA...will be a fun trip and you can caravan with all the Shelby's heading back to CA. I will even let you say at my house so you don't need to pay for a hotel...Let me know...

Alex

Thanks for the offer Alex but we are going to have to get back and re-leave grandma from the kids. We will make it down sometime. Lets talk at Grabbers.

-- Bob

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've read about a bunch of people doing the Extreme brake installation but haven't ready much about the final results. Is stopping power signficantly better to warrant the cost. I'm looking to do a little road racing and am wondering if this is a necessity or more of a luxury modification?

It is way better then the stock Brembos. For tracking this is the way to go, Baer or AP Racing. When I drove my wifes Terlingua with these brakes I said to her: I want these on my car. What a difference this makes. I am very satisfied.

• 6 months later...

From what i found are the front rotor sizes exactly the same as the OEM rotos only the brembo is 4 pot and the Baer 6 pot

I like the look on 19 inch wheels but on 20 inch like the supersnake wheels i think the brakes are too small they do not fill the wheels. I'm considering the movit brakes which are 396 mm rotors instead of 355 mm from shelby/baer somebody experience with ap racing or movit?

• 1 year later...

I have a few questions for you guys.

1. When you have a stock differential cover, how do you fill the differential back up with fluid? Is there a plug at the top of the differential?

2. When you remove the pinion lock bolt and pin, do you have to be careful that the spider gears don't fall out? I heard any axle rotation could make them drop out.

3. I will also be installing the Shelby Watts link. My current dif cover is the metal one, but I have the KR cover in the box. It sounds like this cover may not work with the watts link, anyone know for sure?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any info.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a few questions for you guys.

1. When you have a stock differential cover, how do you fill the differential back up with fluid? Is there a plug at the top of the differential?

2. When you remove the pinion lock bolt and pin, do you have to be careful that the spider gears don't fall out? I heard any axle rotation could make them drop out.

3. I will also be installing the Shelby Watts link. My current dif cover is the metal one, but I have the KR cover in the box. It sounds like this cover may not work with the watts link, anyone know for sure?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any info.

1: There's a plug on the drivers side of the differential housing for filling it. I believe it faces forward on the 8.8. It uses a 3/8" rachet drive, no socket needed.

2: The prelaoad spring should hold the spider gears in. They can fall out of open diffs, but honesty in those it's no biggie. They are super easy to put back in.

3: No idea.