TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Extreme (Baer) rear brake install

Slabo

At the Vegas Bash this Jan. I won the Baer rear brakes during the Shelby Children's Fund charity auction. Finally getting around to installing these. The install was straight forward but you do have to pull the rear axles to install the new caliper brackets. I used both the Ford shop manual (Axle Shaft.pdf) and the Baer instructions. The only difference was when to pull and install the ABS sensor. I followed Fords manual which has you pull the ABS sensor before removing and after installing the alxe. One less thing in the way while removing the axles. I did make a couple changes. Since Baer did not include a hole for the ABS sensor wire clip I added one on the e-brake bracket. This will secure the wire like it is on the stock caliper bracket. Also, I have the J&M billet LCAs that do not have a hole in them like the stockers so I had to secure the e-brake cable under the LCA with a pipe clip. Since I had it apart, I also installed the KR diff cover that I got from LuckySnake.

I have to thank vapor08GT500 for advice and tips for this install. Thanks Alex! Also the instructions included with the KR diff cover from LuckySnake were great. Thanks Blayne! I will have the Eradispeed+2 Brake Set I took off the rear for sale with only 1K miles on them. I have only had the car out for a quick test drive as the weather is not cooperated. Hope to get a better feel for them soon. Here are some pics.

DSC_0525.jpg

Comes in two boxes

P1000568.jpg

Used my lift.

P1000569.jpg

Eradispeed+2 Brake Set

P1000571.jpg

P1000572.jpg

Removed the rear brakes

P1000573.jpg

Drained the diff, removed pinion lock bolt and shaft

P1000576.jpg

P1000575.jpg

Pulled the axles

P1000577.jpg

Installed the new bracket and ss brake line (reuses stock bolts), axle back in.

Edited by Slabo

P1000583.jpg

P1000589.jpg

Installed the new KR diff cover.

P1000584.jpg

Fluids needed

P1000592.jpg

P1000593.jpg

Brakes installed. Time to blead the lines. I went ahead and changed all the fluid to ATE blue.I then put the wheels on to put it at ride height and filled the diff. It took 2 quarts, 7 oz oil + 5 oz of modifier to 1/4" below front fill hole. I added an extra 1 oz modifier since it holds more oil than stock.

P1000590.jpg

Isn't that perdy!

Here are the changes I did to secure the ABS sensor and the e-brake cable.

P1000578.jpg

Added a hole (15/64") for the stock ABS wire clip to the new e-brake cable bracket.

P1000579.jpg

Here is the clip installed

P1000580.jpg

View from other side

P1000591.jpg

Ran the ABS wire inside of the brake line to keep it out of the way of the axle

Here is the clip I added for the e-brake cable. The attachment point is lower on these Baer brakes than the stock or Eradispeed setups so the cable hangs down more so I had to secure it somehow. Not a problem if you have it run through the stock LCA's. I also had to take up some slack in the cable by adjusting the e-brake handle inside the console.

P1000587.jpg

P1000586.jpg

Edited by Slabo

Wow, Great pictures! I can hardley wait for mine to get here from Shelby. I like how you did the ABS sensor mounting, looks very clean. That KR cover looks very nice also, I could not find the KR one so I went with the Ford Racing one. How muck Brake fluid did you go through to bleed the system?

Thanks

I know envy is a mortal sin but, man, your garage with that lift makes me more aware than ever that I have a shoebox for a garage in comparison.

Jim

LOL It does make for a nice place to work. One of the best things is that it is about 70 feet behind my house. Sometimes a man just needs to escape out in his cave for a little I time...

Wow, Great pictures! I can hardley wait for mine to get here from Shelby. I like how you did the ABS sensor mounting, looks very clean. That KR cover looks very nice also, I could not find the KR one so I went with the Ford Racing one. How muck Brake fluid did you go through to bleed the system?

Thanks

From the looks of your garage Rag Top you will be good to go. The e-brake bracket is aluminum so its easy to drill the hole for the ABS clip. Forgot to mention the correct size hole is 15/64". It really only took about 1 1/2 liters to bled. I sucked out some from the reservoir with my wife's turkey baster then bled the lines until they were good and blue.

Nice job Slabo and nice detailed pics.

RE: KR diff cover. - Why did you opt for that specific cover?

as opposed to the FRPP M-4033-G2

Thank you for your insight.

Hey dbackg, It was less money and I just thought it was cool that Ford had put these on the KRs. Makes for a unique mod for less money and it should help with cooling and quiet the diff. Tob did a great job figuring out how Ford and SAI had done these.

Hey dbackg, It was less money and I just thought it was cool that Ford had put these on the KRs. Makes for a unique mod for less money and it should help with cooling and quiet the diff. Tob did a great job figuring out how Ford and SAI had done these.

PM sent.

thank you.

Thanks guys, I think it really finishes off the car.

Nice step by step info...thanks for sharing.....happy%20feet.gif

How do you adjust the hand brake to tighten it...

Thanks....

Alexandros

Alexandros, it is real easy to adjust the hand brake. There is a nut that you can tighten or loosen on the back of the handle. You can access the back of the handle through that little access panel that pops off in the center console. You have to pull up the handle about 4 clicks to access the 10mm nut. It was easy to adjust on the lift since I could see the cables and could tell when I had the slack out but not pulling on the brakes yet. Here is the shop manual link http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=111&viewfile=Parking%20Brake%20Cable%20Adjustment.pdf

Edited by Slabo

Great Job Bob!!! Glad you got them all on...

Only one complaint...why the rusty butt??? With that great shop and lift...you have no excuse to not remedy that!!! LOL

Alex

Thanks for noticing Alex. LOL I was saving that for you...

Where did you get the KR diff cover?

Hi mystang68/05, I bought one from LuckySnake that he made using an Explorer cover just like Ford did for the KRs. This was all figured out by Tob. You can make one yourself as it is fairly easy to do. Here are the threads.

http://www.teamshelb...erential-cover/

http://www.svtperfor...-any-8-8-a.html

AJ,

Washed the car and had time to take off the rear wheels and clean everything. Sorry for my rusted butt. Next winter painting the rear axle. Didn't take off the front wheels yet. Will do tomorrow. You see the color is not exactly like Grabber Orange. More like the dark competition yellow Koni shocks. Front clears with about 4mm. Baer recommendation minimum is 2.5 mm = 1/10 inch.

IMGP1686.jpg

IMGP1687.jpg

IMGP1688.jpg

IMGP1689.jpg

IMGP1690.jpg

IMGP1691.jpg

IMGP1692.jpg

IMGP1694.jpg