TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Now that I have the best Mustang...

Now that I own the best Mustang in the world, I'm itching for a 2011 also. I never really liked the new body style but I have to admit it's growing on me. This Cayote 5.0 motor is making my interest flow.

I am with you. I am keeping my SGT. The new 5.0 is an amazing piece of engineering. A lot of thought went into the mod market on this one. Lots of HP with little weight and apears very stout.

Mine should be here in August.

I've been thinking the same thing as well. Just have to figure out how to get my wife's blessing.

I just got to figure out how to come up with the money after the KR! Tell your wife you have been picked to test the new Mustang out, unfortunately you have to buy it. These women have to understand we have needs!

The new 5.0 is nice. Its only .4 liter increase over the 4.6.

I like the 4.6. It's akin in displacement to the 289. Further, the 4.6 is a stouter motor.

The new 5.0 gets it's power from, real headers that flow better, high compression heads/pistons and 4 valves instead of three per sylinder.

The new 5.0 has been brought to the edge of the envelope to put out as much power naturally aspirated as a 5.0 can do.

The 5.0 has powdered rods. Thats a major weakness IMHO if your are thinking of supercharging.. It's not going to take much supercharging IMHO between the powdered rods and the high compression cylinders/head to start grenading motors.

The 4.6 can be supercharged up to 550 hp comfortably. You can even go farther if you start with better breathing and heads.

In short, I don't think you can take the new 5.0 much further. The 4.6 can be brought way beyond the new 5.0 comfortably.

I think your asking for problems trying to do the same with a new 5.0.

This is my take on it.

From what I understand the 5.0 can be taken further than 4.6. It's a superior motor. I'll tell ya I'm also thinking maybe a 6 cylinder for a DD. I mean 300+ HP. My 06 GT was the same for more money.

The new 5.0 is nice. Its only .4 liter increase over the 4.6.

I like the 4.6. It's akin in displacement to the 289. Further, the 4.6 is a stouter motor.

The new 5.0 gets it's power from, real headers that flow better, high compression heads/pistons and 4 valves instead of three per sylinder.

The new 5.0 has been brought to the edge of the envelope to put out as much power naturally aspirated as a 5.0 can do.

The 5.0 has powdered rods. Thats a major weakness IMHO if your are thinking of supercharging.. It's not going to take much supercharging IMHO between the powdered rods and the high compression cylinders/head to start grenading motors.

The 4.6 can be supercharged up to 550 hp comfortably. You can even go farther if you start with better breathing and heads.

In short, I don't think you can take the new 5.0 much further. The 4.6 can be brought way beyond the new 5.0 comfortably.

I think your asking for problems trying to do the same with a new 5.0.

This is my take on it.

From what I understand the 5.0 can be taken further than 4.6. It's a superior motor. I'll tell ya I'm also thinking maybe a 6 cylinder for a DD. I mean 300+ HP. My 06 GT was the same for more money.

I think the new 6 should make an excellent daily driver, but it will be down a little on torque, as compared to the previous 4.6 V8. I really like the Mustang Club of America package; I took pictures of one at the LA auto show a couple months ago. Nice looking car!

4169981630_f889f5f5fe.jpg

The new 5.0 should be a superior engine to the 4.6 in all areas. I doubt that the rods will be any weaker than the 4.6 rods, which were also sintered iron. If you want to make a bunch more power, you'll probably want an all-forged bottom end, just as with the 4.6. Just wait a short while... People will be modding away at the new 5.0, before we even see them at local dealerships. We'll be hearing about durability very soon... :shift:

Archived