TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gas Smell

bpmurr

Lately I've been noticing the smell of gas while inside my car. Usually in the morning when I drive it to work. Not overly strong just a hint. However, tonight you could smell it outside the car. I had driven it a mile over to my parents place. (It was driven hard earlier in the day) Put the cover on it and when I came back you could smell it pretty well. It seemed to be coming from the engine bay. Are there things I can check to see if I have a leak?

Lately I've been noticing the smell of gas while inside my car. Usually in the morning when I drive it to work. Not overly strong just a hint. However, tonight you could smell it outside the car. I had driven it a mile over to my parents place. (It was driven hard earlier in the day) Put the cover on it and when I came back you could smell it pretty well. It seemed to be coming from the engine bay. Are there things I can check to see if I have a leak?

Fuel rail and injectors can leak and give off an odor.

Also did anything happen to your car ; like work done to it or drive over anything ?

Scotty

Absolutely check your fuel rails. I had this problem after doing some work on my car. The fuel rails started to lift and gas was leaking where the fuel rail and injector met. Do not drive your car until you figure out what the problem is...because this problem is a MAJOR fire hazard.

Absolutely check your fuel rails. I had this problem after doing some work on my car. The fuel rails started to lift and gas was leaking where the fuel rail and injector met. Do not drive your car until you figure out what the problem is...because this problem is a MAJOR fire hazard.

+1 !! And do not cover your car till you find the problem. You could be creating a bomb with gas leak - hot engine - confined space!!

First seeing the thread my inital thought was perhaps the fuel was leaking from the capless fuel door after a hard drive, but from reading your post on how it's coming from the under the hood I'd echo the suggestions of others checking the fuel rails and injectors.

Also if your car is garaged I'd advise against doing so until the source of the leak is tracked down, build up of gasoline fumes in a garage could result in a deadly outcome.

Hope you find the problem soon.

From what I can tell it looks like I might have an issue with an o ring on an injector. There is some discoloration around the injectors on the left side of the motor. JJ from Woodbine Motorsports cleaned it off for me. He said to drive the car and check to see if it comes back. If it does then I'll have to take it to the Ford dealer and have the o rings replaced.

The car is outside for now until this gets worked resolved. I put another 30 miles on it and so far so good.

Just FYI

I do not have a GT 500 however I did experience a fuel smell in the car after having a super charger installed. It was very sporatic and not very strong. It was determined that the new GT 500 fuel pump retainer was not seated so the o-ring was not sealed. Once installed new o-ring & retainer smell was gone. If not your injector or something under the hood, you may just want to check under the rear seat to insure the retainer ring for fuel pump is seated.

The smell came back yesterday when I took my Uncle for a ride at my grandfather's viewing. My dealer replaced the o rings on the injectors. If that doesn't work they'll replace the injectors.

Archived