TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pics... Painted Shelby GT500 Sill Plates

I finally painted and installed my Shelby GT500 Sill Plates (Included w/ my Carroll Shelby Dash Plaque). The project was tedious as I taped and spray painted them as opposed to just hand painting, reason: I wanted the letters to have the right consistency that only spaying can achieve. The paint that I use was Dupli-Color Cardinal Red. Ultimately, they came out as desired. I finished them up with the same clear coat (Krylon UV Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating-1309 Matte) that I used to seal my dash plaque as I wanted to maintain the brush aluminum appearance. It was very easy removing the SVT OEM sills. A couple plastic paint scrappers and 20 lbs fishing line did the trick. They came off without any issues and are safely secured away in the event that I would want to reinstall them in the future.

A funny thing that I noticed during the project... I remember reading somewhere, and then consequently reiterating that nowhere on the GT500 is there a pony (Mustang) or the word Mustang. Well, we were wrong. Much to my surprise there is, in fact, the word Mustang molded into the plastic sill panels under the SVT sill plates as shown in some of the attached photos.

post-25950-127274975482_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274976371_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274977248_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274978539_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274979775_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274980696_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274989929_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274975482_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274976371_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274977248_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274978539_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274979775_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274980696_thumb.jpg

post-25950-127274989929_thumb.jpg

I finally painted and installed my Shelby GT500 Sill Plates (Included w/ my Carroll Shelby Dash Plaque). The project was tedious as I taped and spray painted them as opposed to just hand painting, reason: I wanted the letters to have the right consistency that only spaying can achieve. The paint that I use was Dupli-Color Cardinal Red. Ultimately, they came out as desired. I finished them up with the same clear coat (Krylon UV Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating-1309 Matte) that I used to seal my dash plaque as I wanted to maintain the brush aluminum appearance. It was very easy removing the SVT OEM sills. A couple plastic paint scrappers and 20 lbs fishing line did the trick. They came off without any issues and are safely secured away in the event that I would want to reinstall them in the future.

A funny thing that I noticed during the project... I remember reading somewhere, and then consequently reiterating that nowhere on the GT500 is there a pony (Mustang) or the word Mustang. Well, “we” were wrong. Much to my surprise there is, in fact, the word Mustang molded into the plastic sill panels under the SVT sill plates as shown in some of the attached photos.

Those look superb. Did you use painters tape on the entire flat raised area, then cut out the letter area?

There is a pony on the windshield above the rear view mirror as well I believe.

You're right... It was not as conspicuous as it was on my GT as I have a windshield banner on my GT500, but you can see it from inside the cabin.

They look great. Great job.

I agree it really makes a difference to paint them. Did the same myself

My passenger door sill plate

Thanks. Yours look great as well...

By the way... in my earlier reply I neglected to say how wonderful they look! I may do that with mine as well!

Thanks Farmdog.

Did you mask it off or paint it all then take off the top?

EDIT: they look great!

Thanks. Yes, I masked the raised portion of the plates- cutting around the letters, which was tedious. This method took several hours. There was still some finishing required around the letters. I used a flat razor tip in an exacto knife and gently scrapped off the excess paint surrounding the letters without disturbing the brushed aluminum finish. Overall, I was very happy with the results and it made for a professional OEM-like appearance.

Those look superb. Did you use painters tape on the entire flat raised area, then cut out the letter area?

Thank you. Yes, see above response...

Nice personal touch!! Kudos!!

Thanks

A funny thing that I noticed during the project... I remember reading somewhere, and then consequently reiterating that nowhere on the GT500 is there a pony (Mustang) or the word Mustang. Well, “we” were wrong. Much to my surprise there is, in fact, the word Mustang molded into the plastic sill panels under the SVT sill plates as shown in some of the attached photos.

Looks good !! I painted mine also,..it makes such a difference in the appearence . I choose to paint mine with a small/medium modeling paint brush and a slightly thinned mixture of testors reds to get a shade that matched the red of the interior. The paint was thinned just enough so that i could dab the paint in the center of the letters and it would flow out to the edge.

Looks absolutely great.

On my to-do list. :yup:

Thanks!

Looks good !! I painted mine also,..it makes such a difference in the appearence . I choose to paint mine with a small/medium modeling paint brush and a slightly thinned mixture of testors reds to get a shade that matched the red of the interior. The paint was thinned just enough so that i could dab the paint in the center of the letters and it would flow out to the edge.

Thinning the paint to aide in flow definitely makes sense... I noticed this even when I spray painted mine. Spray paint is very thin and would fill in the letters as you described. If this technique is used, which is easier than masking, just make sure that it's done on a flat surface...

• 1 month later...

Archived