TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Interest in the H models............

I am starting my quest for the eventual purchase of a GT-H convert. I missed an 11K original mile example in Orlando that was on eBay within the past two weeks.

What are the items or issues to look for when buying one of these cars?

Does anyone have a lead on a low mile example for sale?

From the price ranges I have seen, for nice low mile examples, I can either offer a trade, a 2009 SRT-8 Challenger 425horse, 6 speed w/3.92 Trak-Pak option (TorRed in color) fully optioned with 300 original miles, or I can sell the Challenger without much difficulty and work into the GT-H for cash.

Thanks, Robert

I am starting my quest for the eventual purchase of a GT-H convert. I missed an 11K original mile example in Orlando that was on eBay within the past two weeks.

What are the items or issues to look for when buying one of these cars?

Does anyone have a lead on a low mile example for sale?

From the price ranges I have seen, for nice low mile examples, I can either offer a trade, a 2009 SRT-8 Challenger 425horse, 6 speed w/3.92 Trak-Pak option (TorRed in color) fully optioned with 300 original miles, or I can sell the Challenger without much difficulty and work into the GT-H for cash.

Thanks, Robert

Robert, I believe the most common issue is incorrect replacement stripes and/or damaged original stripes. The original stripes are made by Oracal with the color number of 851. Many retail dealers will simply re-stripe using a similar gold color without going to the expense of buying the correct kits from SAI . Most detailing / striping shops will have Oracal number 751 which is close but not the same. Removing stripes and re-striping can be expensive, usually in the $1,000 to $2,000 range counting labor. The Second issue is that Hertz was a lot more liberal in rental qualifications on the GTH convertibles compared to the 2006 Coupes. As a result the Convertibles suffered more abuse so you need to look carefully for dings / dents / interior damage etc. The final concern is that Hertz kept the convertibles in the rental fleet much longer than the Coupes. To keep the cars fresh, Hertz frequently did "retail detailing" which often included quicky paint touch up, particularly on the bumper covers. Quality of this work was irratic so inspect for re-painted body panels etc. Also do NOT rely on CarFax reports about damage. Hertz is self-insured so damage wasn't always reported. There are a lot of convertibles that are great, but just use due dilligence in the inspection. Hope this helps, regards, Larry

Robert, I believe the most common issue is incorrect replacement stripes and/or damaged original stripes. The original stripes are made by Oracal with the color number of 851. Many retail dealers will simply re-stripe using a similar gold color without going to the expense of buying the correct kits from SAI . Most detailing / striping shops will have Oracal number 751 which is close but not the same. Removing stripes and re-striping can be expensive, usually in the $1,000 to $2,000 range counting labor. The Second issue is that Hertz was a lot more liberal in rental qualifications on the GTH convertibles compared to the 2006 Coupes. As a result the Convertibles suffered more abuse so you need to look carefully for dings / dents / interior damage etc. The final concern is that Hertz kept the convertibles in the rental fleet much longer than the Coupes. To keep the cars fresh, Hertz frequently did "retail detailing" which often included quicky paint touch up, particularly on the bumper covers. Quality of this work was irratic so inspect for re-painted body panels etc. Also do NOT rely on CarFax reports about damage. Hertz is self-insured so damage wasn't always reported. There are a lot of convertibles that are great, but just use due dilligence in the inspection. Hope this helps, regards, Larry

Just to add a point about the stripes. Oracal discontinued 851 about a year ago and it is impossible to find. Oracal replaced it with 951. The 951 material and color is different. The color is darker, more metallic, and more green. Once SAI is out of replacement stripes, they will have to change the material. Something to keep in mind if you want an original GT-H.

Thank you for the replies. I talked to the owner of the H linked below. It appears to have been a great one to buy and it was local, even better. It sold for either $36.5K or $38.5K (I don't remember which) since the time the auction ended within the past couple of weeks. This person seemed to be very knowledgable on the H cars, we had a lengthy conversation. Too bad I was not looking for a GT-H at that time. Oh well.

What is the engine compartment cable that is spoken of in the auction discription?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-SHELBY-GT-H-HERTZ-SHELBY-GT-H-CONV-CAR-125-ONLY-11K-MILES-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cac72be18QQitemZ260591238680QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Thanks, Robert

On the Hertz cars, on the right side of the engine compartment, there is a small cable which is tied from the strut tower brace to the right side valve cover locked with a lead seal. This was more of a gimic thing than really a theft deturant, but part of the Hertz Shelby History from the 60's included stories of guys renting the cars and then swaping out the K code engines with standard engines. This cable on the modern cars is supposedly a deturant from this happening with these cars. Of course there is nothing special about the modern 4.6 in these cars, but that is one of the cool little things on them.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies. I talked to the owner of the H linked below. It appears to have been a great one to buy and it was local, even better. It sold for either $36.5K or $38.5K (I don't remember which) since the time the auction ended within the past couple of weeks. This person seemed to be very knowledgable on the H cars, we had a lengthy conversation. Too bad I was not looking for a GT-H at that time. Oh well.

What is the engine compartment cable that is spoken of in the auction discription?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-SHELBY-GT-H-HERTZ-SHELBY-GT-H-CONV-CAR-125-ONLY-11K-MILES-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cac72be18QQitemZ260591238680QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Thanks, Robert

I agree with what Jeff said but I will add what the guys at Shelby told me on a visit. The cable was placed on the engine as a quick way to verify the car wasn't altered by a renter. According to Shelby, Hertz had a clause in the contract that said if the cable was removed, broken, or altered, the renter bought the car for an inflated price. SAI said 60,000 but that seems a little high even when new.

Good luck on your search. If the 06's are any indication, the 07 verts are going to dry up pretty soon (some say they already have) and then things will get interesting.

I agree with what Jeff said but I will add what the guys at Shelby told me on a visit. The cable was placed on the engine as a quick way to verify the car wasn't altered by a renter. According to Shelby, Hertz had a clause in the contract that said if the cable was removed, broken, or altered, the renter bought the car for an inflated price. SAI said 60,000 but that seems a little high even when new.

Good luck on your search. If the 06's are any indication, the 07 verts are going to dry up pretty soon (some say they already have) and then things will get interesting.

The cable in the engine compartment was one of many items on the Hertz GTH "rental and return" check-list. Removal of the cable or any part on the GTH could (not necessarily would) result in the Hertz Customer paying for the missing items(s). There was No Hertz policy regarding the renter being forced to "buy the car" if altered. Any damage or missing equipment could be billed to the Hertz renter using normal Hertz claims processes which have to meet basic insurer / self insured civil law. The $60,000 billing must be an urban legend and is not true. There was no clause in the rental agreement unique to the GTH. Part of my duties, while working at Hertz , was to investigate situations where parts were missing or there was abusive or substantial non-reported vehicle damage (on all cars not just the GTH). If a case could be proven, then a Vehicle damage and Appraisal report had to be completed and sent through the normal Claims channels to the renter or his/her insurance company. Hertz could only claim "actual repair and replacement costs" and cannot profit from the Claims Process. That being said, if the car was declared a total loss, then Hertz could claim the cost of the premium Mustang GT plus Shelby up-fitting. As a side note, the only difference between the GTH and the regular rental fleet, was that the GTHs were more closely inspected at rental and return. Hope this helps, Regards, Larry .

Archived