TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Changing stock rims/tire sensors problem

BillyRay

Who has taken off the stock rims without messing with the sensors? This morning my tire store broke the steel band that goes around the sensor. We also noticed the sensors are glueed or attached somehow to the factory rims, can I reuse them? We didnt know how to get the bracket off the rim.

Plus how do you put the sensors on the new rims?

Can you buy xtra brackets?

Can you also buy just the steel band?

We did a test fit to see if the 18" Razors with the new offset will fit and the news is YES!!!

Thanks for all info!!!!!!!!!! BillyRay

UPDATE: Ford service just stated that there is only double stick tape holding the sensor bracket. He said be careful when prying off the bracket and remove the sensor first. I guess I,ll need 4 new straps when we try this again.

Monday 2-5-2007 UPDATE:

I was going to use zip ties BUT my buddy at Discount tire states here they would melt, we check the heat index and they were 180'. So now I just ordered the steel bands from Mel Clayton Ford Dealer $42 each wheel. Hopefully I,ll have my Razors on by Thurs.

Who has taken off the stock rims without messing with the sensors? This morning my tire store broke the steel band that goes around the sensor. We also noticed the sensors are glueed or attached somehow to the factory rims, can I reuse them? We didnt know how to get the bracket off the rim.

We did a test fit to see if the 18" Razors with the new offset will fit and the news is YES!!!

Yes American Racing NOW has 18" that will fit. But how do you get the bracket which is stuck on the factory rim off ? Discount tire is doing the job.

I just changed mine when I went from the factory 18" polished aluminum that's an option on the GT to the GT500 wheels that are also 18". I thought we could reuse the bands but the GT wheel has more dish on the barrel than the GT500 wheel so we were stuck. You're right about the glue on the cradle and it's reuseable. Pull on the cradle and it will come up. We finally just used a long 1/4" wide zip tie that we bought for $3 apiece and they worked fine. The low pressure warning light will come on but will go off again after you drive a couple of blocks.

Billy Ray,

Discount tire can get for you the bands, and the cradles that hold the sensors. I'm sorry that I do not have a part number for you, but they should be able to come up with it there at the Discount Tire you're using. The '07 Shelby isn't the only car using this set-up.

Good luck,

Chris

Yes American Racing NOW has 18" that will fit. But how do you get the bracket which is stuck on the factory rim off ? Discount tire is doing the job.

Excellent /\ Now I can get new rims without having to buy new tires. :happy feet:

As far as getting the sensor off the rim, have you tried using a bigger hammer? :hysterical:

I curbed a rim downtown parking and decided the scratches were too much to handle so I bought a new factory rim and swapped the tire over. I thought I could re-use the sensor but my local tire barn didn't have "the tool" to get the band off so I went to Ford and they said it couldn't be removed and re-used (which probably means it's very breakable and they didn't want to be responsible for trying) so I ordered a new on and they put it on the rim and swapped the tire. I now have a scratched spare with a sensor...although I need to go get the tire still. The point is they probably can be swapped but it's cheap and easy to get a new one and leave the old rims fully set in the event you need to go back for any reason - or to sell on e-bay etc.

I curbed a rim downtown parking and decided the scratches were too much to handle so I bought a new factory rim and swapped the tire over. I thought I could re-use the sensor but my local tire barn didn't have "the tool" to get the band off so I went to Ford and they said it couldn't be removed and re-used (which probably means it's very breakable and they didn't want to be responsible for trying) so I ordered a new on and they put it on the rim and swapped the tire. I now have a scratched spare with a sensor...although I need to go get the tire still. The point is they probably can be swapped but it's cheap and easy to get a new one and leave the old rims fully set in the event you need to go back for any reason - or to sell on e-bay etc.

This is for clarification only, but anyway...... You don't need any tool to get your sensors off. The sensor is clipped into the cradle, which is held on the wheel with double sided tape and the band that you've heard so much about slides through the cradle. The cradles and bands are what Discount Tire can readily get for us, NOT the sensors. If you change sensors, then you're going to have to take the car to the dealer to have everything re-calibrated/set. If you switch your sensors from one wheel to the other, you don't have to do anything. The Ford bands are not designed to be re-used, but I know someone posted that they had done this. If you're going with a larger wheel, especially, don't even worry about the Ford band. Obtain new bands and cradles, and do not worry about the double sided tape. The double sided tape is not necessary.

This is for clarification only, but anyway...... You don't need any tool to get your sensors off. The sensor is clipped into the cradle, which is held on the wheel with double sided tape and the band that you've heard so much about slides through the cradle. The cradles and bands are what Discount Tire can readily get for us, NOT the sensors. If you change sensors, then you're going to have to take the car to the dealer to have everything re-calibrated/set. If you switch your sensors from one wheel to the other, you don't have to do anything. The Ford bands are not designed to be re-used, but I know someone posted that they had done this. If you're going with a larger wheel, especially, don't even worry about the Ford band. Obtain new bands and cradles, and do not worry about the double sided tape. The double sided tape is not necessary.

Very good info - thanks

Or you can do the cheap method like I did. Remove the band and cradle. Slide the band out of the cradle. Slide a 3/8" wide 60" zip tie through the cradle. Position the cradle on the band so that it is opposite the valve stem and the zip tie lock is near the valve stem. tighten and trim the excess zip band off. There is enough "sticky" left on the cradle so that it will keep the cradle snug when the zip tie is tightened. I'll post pictures of the OEM band and closure tonight. If you are careful when you remove it, you can reuse it.

UPDATE: Ford service just stated that there is only double stick tape holding the sensor bracket. He said be careful when prying off the bracket and remove the sensor first. I guess I,ll need 4 new straps when we try this again.

here ya are

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...amp;#entry67388

Here's what the sensor, cradle, and bands look like.

post-5147-1169607149_thumb.jpg

The cradle and sensor are the blue object in the picture. If the adhesive is a double sided tape, it is a very thick, sticky tape. There is plenty of stickiness left to reset the cradle.

The second picture is of the clasp on the OEM metal band. The clasp works by locking down the two ends of the band which have dimples that mate. to undo the band, you must disengage the dimples which you can't do until the clasp is bent up and away fromthe band. We used a thin screwdriver to do this working slowly to keep from scratching the inside of the wheel or breaking the clasp. To undo the clasp the 4 "points must be bent upward.

post-5147-1169607256_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

Here's what the sensor, cradle, and bands look like.

The cradle and sensor are the blue object in the picture. If the adhesive is a double sided tape, it is a very thick, sticky tape. There is plenty of stickiness left to reset the cradle.

The second picture is of the clasp on the OEM metal band. The clasp works by locking down the two ends of the band which have dimples that mate. to undo the band, you must disengage the dimples which you can't do until the clasp is bent up and away fromthe band. We used a thin screwdriver to do this working slowly to keep from scratching the inside of the wheel or breaking the clasp. To undo the clasp the 4 "points must be bent upward.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the pics, makes it much easier to understand what everyone is talking about - without having done it myself (yet).

Did you get any pics of the wheel mounted on the car itself and then lowered off of the jack to see how it sits? There has always been two offsets on the Shelby Razors. One backspace fits just right and the other backspace makes the wheel stick out of the fenders about 4mm. Im pretty sure that the 18" you tested will make the wheel and tire stick out from the fender a little when you let the car down. We tried it on another car. I checked with American Racing and they still say they are using the same offsets that theyve been using since the wheel came out.

Would it make sense that the double sided tape is more insurance that the cradle will not slide on the band, causing the wheel to be out of balance and/or maybe upsetting the sensor somehow?

I'd have to say that the double sided tape sure couldn't hurt. My bands are from Discount Tire, and they're the worm-gear style that you tighten with a screw driver. They are tight enough that the cradles aren't gonna move. The tape would further insure that though.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with a local Ford Dealer. My wholesale price for the band and brackets are $38.37 each retail is $56.00.

I like the idea someone stated about using zip ties! I have double sided tape so I,ll try reusing the brackets. Hopefully pics to follow this week( 2-1-07).

Here's another question. I'm looking to buy two wheels to mount drag radials on just for track days. If I don't put sensors in those wheels, will it affect the car at all? Will my "trip computer" be stuck with a low tire pressure warning message until I put the stock wheels (with sensors) back on? Will the car's computer change any performance parameters if it thinks there's a low tire? I just can't see spending money on sensors for racing at the track, especially considering that drag radials will be set to 16-20 psi and would trigger the low tire pressure warning anyway.

Great question Five - oh. I was getting on it going up an entrance ramp after changing tires and before the sensors reset. I don't think that the computer was degrading timing or throttle but I'm not sure. The computer controls everything (well almost) on these cars. You may floor it but the computer decides how much to open the throttle. I would love to be able to explore all that it is controlling and view the parameters. The series in MM & FF was great but I want to know more.

I read in my owners manual that we also have a black box watching...

Great question Five - oh. I was getting on it going up an entrance ramp after changing tires and before the sensors reset. I don't think that the computer was degrading timing or throttle but I'm not sure. The computer controls everything (well almost) on these cars.

I checked with several people in our service/parts department. The consensus is that the TPM Sensor only illuminates the light on the dash when a sensor is missing or low tire pressure is sensed. The computer does not change any performance parameters at all - it's an idiot light system only. Therefor, I'm not going to be buying sensors/bands for the extra pair of wheels I put drag radials on, as I will just ignore the warning light on the dash. It doesn't make noise, so it shouldn't be a distraction at the track.

That jives with what I thought but its nice to hear it from some other sources. It probably won't be long before they will use the TPMS output to place the car in a "safety" mode and remove spark, or limit throttle, or turn off cylinders or.......

Every time I hear about vehicles that are computer controlled for "safety", I remember the Airbus that was performing at its first air show in Paris. The pilot made a low pass and when it came time to add power and climb out, the computer wouldn't obey the throttle input and the plane simply crashed into a forest at the end of the runway.

Safety programed into computer controls

It doesn't happen often but when it a mistake like this occurs, it can be disastrous.

Archived