TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carroll Shelby's SUPER SNAKE

1badsho

I went to the Speed Vision web site and found some interesting info on this car ... and what happened to the only other built super snake ... Enjoy :

Saturday at the 36th Annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Car event proved to be another record breaker, led by the sale of Carroll Shelby’s personal 1966 Cobra 427 “Super Snake” for an astonishing $5.5 million, the highest price ever at a Barrett-Jackson auction. The gavel price was $5 million even, with a 10 percent buyer’s fee added, as it is to all cars going across the block.

The winning bidder on the twin-supercharged Cobra was Chandler, Ariz., collector Ron Pratt, the man who last year at this auction paid $4.1 million for a GM Motorama bus and made several other high-end purchases this year.

Shelby himself was on stage for the auction of his car, which he said would accelerate from zero to 60 miles per hour in just over 3 seconds, with a top speed of 200 miles per hour. The buzz in the auction tent was incredible as the bidding began to cross million-dollar thresholds, the crowd erupting when it slammed through last year’s $4.1 million record. “It's one-of-a-kind and the only one like it,” Shelby said. “It's special car.”

Indeed it was. The Super Snake was Shelby’s personal car and the lone survivor of just two built. The other one was sold to entertainer Bill Cosby, who was so intimidated by its speed that he returned it after one day. The second owner, Tony Maxey, lost control of it and went over a cliff to his death, leaving Shelby’s car as the lone Super Snake in the world.

post-7556-1169571410_thumb.jpg

post-7556-1169571410_thumb.jpg

I went to the Speed Vision web site and found some interesting info on this car ... and what happened to the only other built super snake ... Enjoy :

Saturday at the 36th Annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Car event proved to be another record breaker, led by the sale of Carroll Shelby’s personal 1966 Cobra 427 “Super Snake” for an astonishing $5.5 million, the highest price ever at a Barrett-Jackson auction. The gavel price was $5 million even, with a 10 percent buyer’s fee added, as it is to all cars going across the block.

The winning bidder on the twin-supercharged Cobra was Chandler, Ariz., collector Ron Pratt, the man who last year at this auction paid $4.1 million for a GM Motorama bus and made several other high-end purchases this year.

Shelby himself was on stage for the auction of his car, which he said would accelerate from zero to 60 miles per hour in just over 3 seconds, with a top speed of 200 miles per hour. The buzz in the auction tent was incredible as the bidding began to cross million-dollar thresholds, the crowd erupting when it slammed through last year’s $4.1 million record. “It's one-of-a-kind and the only one like it,” Shelby said. “It's special car.”

Indeed it was. The Super Snake was Shelby’s personal car and the lone survivor of just two built. The other one was sold to entertainer Bill Cosby, who was so intimidated by its speed that he returned it after one day. The second owner, Tony Maxey, lost control of it and went over a cliff to his death, leaving Shelby’s car as the lone Super Snake in the world.

Yea, sorry for Tony's bad luck, but I'm still looking for the that GD cliff so I can crawl down to the bottom of the canyon and retreve the damn Cobra! :hysterical2:

By the way, the deceased Cobra is pictured on the back cover of Bill Cosby's 1968 "200 MPH" comedy album cover. Find a copy and have Carroll sign it. I suspect that it might be worth something in the future.

Archived