TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Track Day- tow bracket & hook

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep

Funds recieved Adam, it may still go into the mail today, if not tomorrow for sure-

I just came across this topic. Any progress on a tow hook for the GT500?

Thanks!

The hook bracket looks as if it mount just fine on the bumper support, but it would require the stock GT500 lower grill area to have a hole cut into it to allow the hook bracket to pass thru.. So I doubt many GT500 owners will want to do that, but I'm more then happy to sell one to you if you want give it a shot..

A couple of questions...

Can you tell me how long the horizontal piece of the bracket is (how far does it stick out from where it is mounted)?

Can you tell me how wide the opening in the grill would have to be to accommodate the bracket (minus the hook)?

Can you build a bracket that is "lower", i.e. a bracket that extends further below the bumper? I think this may be all that is needed for your bracket to work.

I have a few ideas that may work with only slight cutting on the lower grill if the dimensions of the bracket were perhaps modified, but I have not had the front clip off my car so I do not have any measurements to work with.

Thanks,

Earl

Can you tell me how long the horizontal piece of the bracket is (how far does it stick out from where it is mounted)?

I have 2 lengths- 2 1/2" & 4"

Here is the 2 1/2" mounted on my SGT before installing bumper cover

P5151432.jpg

2 1/2" installed-

P5151444.jpg

4" before installation

P4241383.jpg

4" installed

photo3-1.jpg

4" in use

P5151453.jpg

Can you tell me how wide the opening in the grill would have to be to accommodate the bracket (minus the hook)?

The hole in the grill would need to be 1 5/8" x 5/8" to allow the bracket to pass thru...

Can you build a bracket that is "lower", i.e. a bracket that extends further below the bumper? I think this may be all that is needed for your bracket to work.

Yes that could be done but I'm not sure this is necessary. One needs to remove the lower grill and take a simple measurement to determine the deep needed of the mounting bracket.

I have a few ideas that may work with only slight cutting on the lower grill if the dimensions of the bracket were perhaps modified, but I have not had the front clip off my car so I do not have any measurements to work with.

Thanks,

Earl

OK, but not sure if I'm up for a new design- hopefully you can make my extisting product work.

I'm interested in your hook. I tried to send a PM but it said Member Not recieving at this time. ANY IDEAS!

Thanks, Don

Sorry Don, my PM storage was 100% full, problem should now be fixed- go ahead and try again

Here are a couple of pics of my lower grill. Sorry, but the front of the car is not clean. What I was thinking is that if the grill had a bit of surgery in the area that I circled in the last picture, then the bracket could be used on the GT500. But I think this area is further below the front bumper than your bracket is. I'm not sure how far though. Your thoughts on extending the bracket downward? I think the 4.5 inch length would be fine.

PICT0837.jpg

PICT0838-edit.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After yesterday there is now a bolt on bracket that's designed to work with the FRPP tow hook. It requires the front cover to be removed for the assembly, but no modification to the front cover is required. She is a stout piece and can be welded if need be.

It bolts directly to the middle of the underside of the bumper support, if you reach under with your hand you can feel a edge, this bracket is design to mount on the other side of that edge so the base of the mount becomes a fixture of the bumper support and not just the Grade 8 bolt for strength. It requires a single hole to be drilled thru the underside of the bumper support. A hole saw is then used to drill a hole in the front channel (like the factory does for the front bumper support mounting bolts) this allows room for a socket to get to the back side for the nut.

Besides my Shelby, I'll also be installing one on our Roush even tho it's won't be on the track, but since the cars sits so low it will certainly make it easier to load it in a trailer or a roll back if the car becomes disabled. I should have kits complete with mounting hardware and FRPP hooks ready to ship in a couple of weeks- I'll have pricing set before then-

BTW the tow hook bracket does fit between the gap in the bumper cover and Shelby SGT lower grill insert without issue, I'll have pictures once I get the next proto type back and installed on my SGT.

Let me know if there is interest here-

Here is a few shots of the proto type installed on a Roush application-

photo1.jpg

P4241383.jpg

P4241385.jpg

photo2.jpg

Yes I have a few left- PM's returned- send payment and I'll send kits out tomorrow USPS

P6130020-1.jpg

Inventory is running low

Only 3 SGT (2.5") Hook Kits remaining- once there gone that will be it

• 2 weeks later...

Any issues with rubbing on the stripes?

Each kit includes a little stick on rubber guard for the underside of the bumper to address this.

P5161488.jpg

My bumper cover is coming off this week for a re-paint, along with my hood and driver's fender after getting hit a couple weeks back.

So I'm going to ask that they install the tow hook bracket while the cover is already off. I'll post pics up of how it turns out! :)

My bumper cover is coming off this week for a re-paint, along with my hood and driver's fender after getting hit a couple weeks back.

So I'm going to ask that they install the tow hook bracket while the cover is already off. I'll post pics up of how it turns out! :)

Sounds good, but sorry to hear about your damage

I'm down to the last of these-

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is, at last:

4816871171_7b25442dc8_o.jpg

That is the Silver Horse Racing lower grill insert; fits good.

Now, then. I'd rather it wasn't so vividly visible in day-to-day driving, and I'd also like to not wear out the "locking" part of the nylock nut that fixes the loop to the bracket. I have this small velvet bag that a Terlingua Racing Team key fob came in. It has the CS logo on one side, and a drawstring top opening. If it were half or three-quarters of an inch wider, it would be a perfect fit with the loop: pull it on like a sock, tie the drawstring, it will practically disappear into the dark grill.

Is there a Shelby item in the store that comes in a slightly larger velvet bag? I guess I'll just have to add some width to the Terlingua key-bag.

4818910477_b4484465ed_b.jpg

So, there you have it: split the back of the bag, closed the top with elastic rather than the drawstring (good well beyond highway speeds). What do you think?

Here it is, at last:

4818910477_b4484465ed_b.jpg

So, there you have it: split the back of the bag, closed the top with elastic rather than the drawstring. What do you think?

Looks good, glad the install went well-

I only have 1 SGT Hook kit left-

Looks good, glad the install went well-

I only have 1 SGT Hook kit left-

I wonder if this will work on the rear, there is already a hole in the rear bumper in the center underneath and I may measure where this will come through the bumper cover (while I have the bumper cover off). Just thinking.....

Andrew

I wonder if this will work on the rear, there is already a hole in the rear bumper in the center underneath and I may measure where this will come through the bumper cover (while I have the bumper cover off). Just thinking.....

Andrew

if the tow hook is on the rear, getting towed out that way could cause severe damage to your low front end..........dont you think it would be safer for the car and more limiting to further damage if it was in the front..........pick up the front, the rear is clear.....pick up the rear.........could be trouble....

just throwin that out there...... :salute:

Any word on a GT500 kit?

Most likely it's not going to be offered by me-

The friendship with the designer and maker of the current tow hook bracket I've been selling has taken on a soar note-

I did sell a hook kit to a GT500 TS forum member, he has not yet responded on how the install went-

hey guys and sorry I have not posted reply. I did install the hook on my

gt500, lower grill, worked fine with no cutting of the plastic grill. I have a picture on my phone. if u pm your email I can send it to you. I'm away from office and computer for the week.

mike

if the tow hook is on the rear, getting towed out that way could cause severe damage to your low front end..........dont you think it would be safer for the car and more limiting to further damage if it was in the front..........pick up the front, the rear is clear.....pick up the rear.........could be trouble....

just throwin that out there...... :salute:

Absolutely, I was just dreaming about racing one day and that I had it in my mind you needed one on each end for some sanctioning bodies....

Tow from the front always !! it is the geometrict thing Isosceles triangle ? ? ?

Thanks

Andrew

Absolutely, I was just dreaming about racing one day and that I had it in my mind you needed one on each end for some sanctioning bodies....

Tow from the front always !! it is the geometrict thing Isosceles triangle ? ? ?

Thanks

Andrew

check, I didnt mean to be captain obvious! :doh:

Archived