TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Breaking in a new 2010 Shelby?

tpenziner

This may be a stupid question, but I've never owned a Shelby and in preparation of having it delivered is there any special breaking in instructions you need to follow w/ a super charged car? Thanks

Just don't jump on the freeway and go 65 for 500 miles straight.

OTher than that, no. You don't have to baby it.

This may be a stupid question, but I've never owned a Shelby and in preparation of having it delivered is there any special breaking in instructions you need to follow w/ a super charged car? Thanks

There are probably over 100 topics on this already...just do a search.

Long and short one camp will say: Drive it carefully for 500...1000 miles etc etc, no WOT.

Other camp: Drive it like you stole it, vary RPMS..will seal the rings better.

You will not get a definative answer if you do 100's of hours of research.

+1--im in the drive how you want, just make sure to vary the rpms.Drove mine 2 hours from MMs place to Atlanta, hit 90 in spots, and back off to 55--just dont keep a steady rpm and speed IMHO. On the SC, it needs to be "set"---there are threads on that as well, and its in the manual, but I recall its like 7miles at speed like on a highway.If i recall your getting a red vert--put the top down and youll hear the exhaust real well.The frist thing id do is get you a JLT CAI and a strut brace, in red. With the new CAI youll hear the SC clearly--enjoy and i hope its all your expected ===bob

The owners manual will give you information on that question. As others have stated, there are two camps about breaking a new car in. Some say don't worry about it and drive it as normal, and others will tell you to baby it.

The owners manual should have the final say in this matter. You could also contact Ford SVT hotline and see what they say about it.

+1--im in the drive how you want, just make sure to vary the rpms.Drove mine 2 hours from MMs place to Atlanta, hit 90 in spots, and back off to 55--just dont keep a steady rpm and speed IMHO. On the SC, it needs to be "set"---there are threads on that as well, and its in the manual, but I recall its like 7miles at speed like on a highway.If i recall your getting a red vert--put the top down and youll hear the exhaust real well.The frist thing id do is get you a JLT CAI and a strut brace, in red. With the new CAI youll hear the SC clearly--enjoy and i hope its all your expected ===bob

Thank you all, the advice is appreciated!

What type of strut brace and is it easy to install the JLT CAI "and strut brace"? I'm new to all this.. :)

I coulldnt find anything in the owners manual about break-in so I called SVT. I told the man I was hearing conflicting things on break in and I was kinda old school on that. He said these motors dont require the old style break in but if it makes you feel better to put 500-1000 on it before flogging it, do it. The other extreme is, dont redline it right away, though. Rex

I coulldnt find anything in the owners manual about break-in so I called SVT. I told the man I was hearing conflicting things on break in and I was kinda old school on that. He said these motors dont require the old style break in but if it makes you feel better to put 500-1000 on it before flogging it, do it. The other extreme is, dont redline it right away, though. Rex

to me,its really important to get the oil/fiter out and changed at around 500 miles--gets all the gasket parts, shavings etc out of the engine.I know its a religiuos argument, but for the cost of an oil change, i sleep better

Archived