TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The mods keep comming...

moabman

The weather finally gave us a reprieve. Ever since I picked up my new car it has been in the 30's to 40's and we've had rain, rain, freezing rain, and more rain. Yesterday turned sunny after raining again all night. The best news was that with the sun out we skipped right through the 50's into the 60's. As soon as the streets dried off, we put the top down and cruised. This is my first convertible and I had so much fun, I just couldn't stop. When the sun went down, we had a beautiful sunset and then it was time to flip the lid back up. I found out a little more about my new Mustang:

1. I really love the car
  2. It is very heavy - 3500 pounds
  3. The new rims and tires stick great
  4. Motivating 3500 pounds with 18" wheels is a tall order
  5. The throttle lag is noticable

I'm starting to work on those middle items. I just ordered the drag pack which comes with shorty headers, 3.73's to replace my stock 3.31's, and a CAI. I'll need a tune after I install the parts but I have a couple of questions:

What is the supplied FRPP tune like? Is it similar to the Steeda tune provided with their CAI? Will it change my auto shift points? Finally, is the throttle response programmable?

After I get a little more go, I'll work some more on the suspension starting with lowering it.

Hi Mark - Glad to hear you're getting some seat time!

I've had about 8 Verts and know how "cool" they can be (especially hearing the pipes out back!).

I'm not sure - but I think the tuner can program shift points and pressures and such. And - the dreaded throttle lag.

Enjoy my friend!

The weather finally gave us a reprieve. Ever since I picked up my new car it has been in the 30's to 40's and we've had rain, rain, freezing rain, and more rain. Yesterday turned sunny after raining again all night. The best news was that with the sun out we skipped right through the 50's into the 60's. As soon as the streets dried off, we put the top down and cruised. This is my first convertible and I had so much fun, I just couldn't stop. When the sun went down, we had a beautiful sunset and then it was time to flip the lid back up. I found out a little more about my new Mustang:
  1. I really love the car

I'm starting to work on those middle items. I just ordered the drag pack which comes with shorty headers, 3.73's to replace my stock 3.31's, and a CAI. I'll need a tune after I install the parts but I have a couple of questions:

What is the supplied FRPP tune like? Is it similar to the Steeda tune provided with their CAI? Will it change my auto shift points? Finally, is the throttle response programmable?

After I get a little more go, I'll work some more on the suspension starting with lowering it.

Mark,

The FRPP tune is most likely conservative at best. Plus I've never been a big fan of the "one tune for all" fan club. Each car is different so a tune that works well on one car might run a little lean on another. The best way to go is to get a tuner like the SCT unit and get the car custom tuned on a dyno. That way the tune is specifically for your car. You can have the throttle response and shift points of the trans tuned to your liking.

From what I've read, 3.73's are the best gear for the auto trans although others will argue that statement. I'd also look into a high flow mid pipe section to complete your exhaust.

Here's a PDF file of what's included in the FRPP packs: FRPP Performance Packs PDF

1. I really love the car

The Ford program is pathetic. If you're dropping that kind of coin on a drag pack, invest the extra $$ to put it on a dyno and get your money's worth.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I really like the WMS but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to end up with a Whipple on top and the intake is on the rear. I think that everyone agrees that canned tunes aren't optimal so I'll get a tune after installation. I can handle the CAI and axle backs but gears and headers are for pros. Can't wait to get them installed. Hope you got out somethis weekend ratnagage - it looks like the rain is about to move back in. How's our east coast contingent holding out?

Hi Mark - we finally had a day of sunshine! Although it's cooled down to the 40's.

You know how I feel about dyno tuning!

Headers require moving the engine off its mounts and gears need to be done by those who do them!

Keep on rockin! :banana piano:

Thanks Ruf

I'm glad someone is seeing the sun. I buy my first new car and Texas has it's coldest, wettest winter in 10 years. :banghead:

It's great for the rest of the state though. Remember all of those wildfires last spring and summer? Any fires this year will have to be able to float! Ah well - hopefully we will get some sun this weekend.

Basically, my car feels tight and heavy. Very good build quality but it strangely feels like driving my old turbo-coupe lag wise. Thats why I can't wait for a tune and the gears. All the parts should be here next week :hyper:

How's the professor doing today? Found any lurking vettes? Got that 20th coat of Zaino on yet?

Yeah, it's got to be in the 60's and sunny to drop the top!

C6 is very strong and has BRAKES! It feels much lighter than the Mustang.

And - remarkably quiet at idle with the stock exhaust.

I think with some cams and a tune I'd be ready for Roller Boy.

Yeah, it's got to be in the 60's and sunny to drop the top!

C6 is very strong and has BRAKES! It feels much lighter than the Mustang.

And - remarkably quiet at idle with the stock exhaust.

I think with some cams and a tune I'd be ready for Roller Boy.

I can't get my 12 kids in the Vette :banghead:

I have to be honest here.

If I had the bread, I've have a Vette.

..to be honest, my wife doesn't really care much for the shelby, thinks its "ok" but when we went to check out a black on black Z06 a few months ago, she fell it love with it. Just an awesome car in all respects. But the price is high, 80K plus 10K adm, ouch.

Ok, now that the subject has been opened, what does everyone think about the baer corvette brakes for the Mustang? Anyone know what the calipers are made out of or the weight of rotor + caliper?

there is a decent thread going on right now on this over on SVT performance you might want to check out. Apparently one of the road racers is trying to put together a group buy for some lighter front rotors. Check out the GT500 area for this.

when we went to check out a black on black Z06 a few months ago, she fell it love with it. But the price is high, 80K plus 10K adm, ouch.

ADM's are gone from what I found. I'm not in the market, but I have a few dealers around me that I chat with. Both said they'd sell me (or anyone who came in) a Z06 at sticker - big thing is the wait. They both said they got less than $10k ADM when it first came out, now sticker is good enough.

BTW - both said the same for the Camaro when it comes out - will add small ADM (even on the top line model - whatever that is) for the first few, but will guarantee sticker if I would wait a few months. They even offered to put it in writing - sounds a lot better than my local Ford dealers have been doing to me lately.

One of the things that Chevy can do with the corvette assembly is open it to visitors since they aren't making a gazillion Mustangs and Mazdas. What a treat to take the museum delivery and arrange to tour the line as they are building your car. You better believe that if I bought a Z06 that's what I would do and I wouldn't mind the wait.

..to be honest, my wife doesn't really care much for the shelby, thinks its "ok" but when we went to check out a black on black Z06 a few months ago, she fell it love with it. Just an awesome car in all respects. But the price is high, 80K plus 10K adm, ouch.

dsc00360is8.jpg

Black on black ZO6 will be my next car, no doubt about it. :happy feet:

Just got the car back today with the Drag Pack installed. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the tune installed so I can't really open it up yet but I can already tell that its going to be fun :happy feet:

I was doing about 80 on the freeway and just keeping up with traffic and I looked down and saw the speedo registering 90. Guess the program will reset the speedo for the 3.73's.

The shorty headers look nice and should help a little. Can't wait to flash the program and open it up. The headers pair up nicely with FRPP axle back mufflers. Think I'm going to put on the x pipes also.

Archived