TEAM SHELBY FORUM

N/A Shelby GT350....

Enis, where did you get the new flyer? I didn't expect this to be announced until Roger gets back. Any other options or changes?

I'm counting my loose change up since my car is shipping!!!

I have questions about getting SC, even if you aren't getting the full discount. I know SA will make it right if there is a problem, but do I have to take the car back to Vegas if there is? Conservativemight be better living where I do. Wouldn't be a problem if I lived on the west coast.

Glad it is official though!

Yup, it's definately official Warren. Gary Patterson handed me the flyer when we spoke at FFF last Sunday. There were a stack of flyers sitting on the information table that was in front of the Shelby display.

th_Scan_Pic0001.jpg

Sorry if the scan is too small, but I was not able to attach it directly to this post without going through photobucket. Let me know if you can't read the text and I'll just type it out in a post for you. As far as your thoughts about the supercharger, I have driven the new 5.0 and it is an awesome engine right off the shelf. I really can't say if a SC is really a necessary option if money is a consideration for you, and I don't believe that you would be disappointed with the car's performance if you decide to go NA with the car. The other thing that you have to ask yourself is how much H.P. gain are you going to get for 7K, and 7K is alot of coin to some/most folks. As far as your question about service after the sale, that's certainly a ligitimate question/concern that you should consider/address before you make your final decision.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shelby can't install new heads or cams because they are considered a manufacturer and as such, they are subject to EPA, CARB, and DOT mandates.

But all this work is being done "Post-Title" just like the SS conversions...What were the restrictions on Shelby Automobiles when they modded GT500's into KR's? I'm assuming much more restrictive since these were "pre-title" compared to when they modded GT500's into Super Snakes "post-title". The base car has already been sold by Ford to the consumer and is registered to "John Doe"...What is to stop him from modding his car anyway he sees fit by a "Speed Shop"? If Shelby is in fact setting up a separate "Shelby Speed/Performance Shop" to do engine and/or suspension modifications, then I would assume that any work performed by that separate entity is not subject to the same governmental regulations since they would not be considered a manufacturer...correct? If so, then why can't the N/A car be modded with cams and/or heads after the GT350 conversion is done by Shelby American, passed on to the "Shelby Speed/Performance Shop" for additional engine mods and then delivered as a completed GT350 back to the legal owner of the car?

I am little surprised that cost delta between S/C and N/A is so small.

At a late date, I have to believe that it would cost more than $7K to add a supercharger.

That's what I think too...The labor alone is probably $1K - $1.5K just to add the blower.

I am happy to see the NA version. A step in the right direction. I agree that $7K seems a bit light for a SC, but we have not seen the prices on the '11 FRPP SC kits yet and the NA version may have an improved intake $$ and tune $$ over a base GT. I think the price point is really important to making more GT350 sales. On the NA version, the factory Brembo brake option w/ drilled rotors should be standard with the Baer brakes as an optional upgrade. This should drop the NA package a few thousand as well. The last item I would change would be to add more colors. In my case, Race Red with white stripes. Not quite as traditional Shelby as the white and blue, but still a common Shelby color combination. I would seriously be considering a GT350 if this were the case.

But all this work is being done "Post-Title" just like the SS conversions...What were the restrictions on Shelby Automobiles when they modded GT500's into KR's? I'm assuming much more restrictive since these were "pre-title" compared to when they modded GT500's into Super Snakes "post-title". The base car has already been sold by Ford to the consumer and is registered to "John Doe"...What is to stop him from modding his car anyway he sees fit by a "Speed Shop"? If Shelby is in fact setting up a separate "Shelby Speed/Performance Shop" to do engine and/or suspension modifications, then I would assume that any work performed by that separate entity is not subject to the same governmental regulations since they would not be considered a manufacturer...correct? If so, then why can't the N/A car be modded with cams and/or heads after the GT350 conversion is done by Shelby American, passed on to the "Shelby Speed/Performance Shop" for additional engine mods and then delivered as a completed GT350 back to the legal owner of the car?

Well, as far as the KR and SS are concerned, all components used in the upfit/conversions were/are CARB, EPA, and DOT legal; they had to be or SA could not install them. Ford Racing is currently doing it's due dilligance on the GT350's blower (the 5.0 application actually) to get it C.A.R.B. certified, and that should happen in the next 4 to 6 weeks (aprox). Without that certification, SA will not (cannot) install the blower (legally) through the upfit process.

Now, as far as your point about the new speed/performance shop, the flyer that I picked up last Sunday does say that they install "Cams, Superchargers, Turbo's, etc.", and it also says that ALL makes, ALL models are welcome, but what about a brand new GT350? Well, the answer is YES. I just got off the phone with the S&P shop and according to the staffer that I spoke to, he advised me that they CAN install cams and the like on the GT350, HOWEVER, he also advised me that cams and other internal go fast components will not be available until mid to late summer.

So there's the answer to the million dollar question about Shelby adding go fast parts on a GT350; NA or otherwise.

2011 GT curb weight = 3620?

2008 GT curb weight varies depending on the source, but regardless of which # you pull, they all seem to come in lower than the 2011. :headscratch:

Edmunds = 3356 http://www.edmunds.com/used/2008/ford/mustang/100893416/specs.html

Yahoo = 3450 http://autos.yahoo.com/ford_mustang_gt_deluxe_coupe-specs/?p=ext

AOL = 3483 http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-Mustang-2008/available-trims/

MY SGT/SC WEIGHED IN AT 3420 LBS WITH A 1/2 TANK OF 93 OCTANE AND THE INTERIOR UPGRADE ,

GUAGE PACKAGE AND 18 " SVT WHEELS.

SCOTTY

NOW BACK TO THE DEBATE ; WAIT TO SEE WHATS BEST OR

BUY NOW AND LIVE WITH YOUR DECISION ?

Sorry everyone, I guess I could have jumped in sooner, but I missed this thread. I put my order in for a N/A GT350 last week. I know, I know, most of you think I'm crazy but I just don't want an S/C. I really like the SGT we have now so saw no reason to screw with success.

Anyway, I think it'll be a great car after it's GT'd. Just my .02

John

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF A TS MEMBER HAS THE DEPOSIT ON # 123. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO

BUY A GT350 AND HAVE CSM # 0123 TO GO WITH MY GT/SC ; 08SGT0123.

SO I WOULD BE WILLING TO TRADE A LOWER NUMBER FOR # 123 :yup:

THANKS FOR ANY LEEDS OR HELP ; SEEING THAT ROGER IS OUT OF TOWN AND I WILL PROBABLY

NEED HIS APPROVAL AND HELP ANYWAY TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. :banghead:

SCOTTY

Well, as far as the KR and SS are concerned, all components used in the upfit/conversions were/are CARB, EPA, and DOT legal; they had to be or SA could not install them. Ford Racing is currently doing it's due dilligance on the GT350's blower (the 5.0 application actually) to get it C.A.R.B. certified, and that should happen in the next 4 to 6 weeks (aprox). Without that certification, SA will not (cannot) install the blower (legally) through the upfit process.

Now, as far as your point about the new speed/performance shop, the flyer that I picked up last Sunday does say that they install "Cams, Superchargers, Turbo's, etc.", and it also says that ALL makes, ALL models are welcome, but what about a brand new GT350? Well, the answer is YES. I just got off the phone with the S&P shop and according to the staffer that I spoke to, he advised me that they CAN install cams and the like on the GT350, HOWEVER, he also advised me that cams and other internal go fast components will not be available until mid to late summer.

So there's the answer to the million dollar question about Shelby adding go fast parts on a GT350; NA or otherwise.

Thank you Sir! You gave me the answer that I was hoping to hear!

Warren, I doubt FRPP would release a bad SC for the car...either way it will be a cool car, I was just sharing my thinking...I doubt that for 7k SAI would install it later being the Whipple is 13K from them now for the SGT. Thats a 6k question you have there...

Cheers Dude!

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF A TS MEMBER HAS THE DEPOSIT ON # 123. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO

BUY A GT350 AND HAVE CSM # 0123 TO GO WITH MY GT/SC ; 08SGT0123.

SO I WOULD BE WILLING TO TRADE A LOWER NUMBER FOR # 123 :yup:

THANKS FOR ANY LEEDS OR HELP ; SEEING THAT ROGER IS OUT OF TOWN AND I WILL PROBABLY

NEED HIS APPROVAL AND HELP ANYWAY TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. :banghead:

SCOTTY

Scotty,

Call Steve Mansel at the regular SAI number, he's Ext 102 or 105, he can tell you. Lately they've been actually answereing the phones over there, so see if they can track him down for you if his phone goes to voice mail.

John

Sorry everyone, I guess I could have jumped in sooner, but I missed this thread. I put my order in for a N/A GT350 last week. I know, I know, most of you think I'm crazy but I just don't want an S/C. I really like the SGT we have now so saw no reason to screw with success.

Anyway, I think it'll be a great car after it's GT'd. Just my .02

John

Congrats John.

I don't think your crazy. IF I do order a GT350 it will be N/A.

Scotty,

Call Steve Mansel at the regular SAI number, he's Ext 102 or 105, he can tell you. Lately they've been actually answereing the phones over there, so see if they can track him down for you if his phone goes to voice mail.

John

THANKS FOR THE HEADS-UP JOHN. I WILL TRY TO GET A HOLD OF STEVE M.

SCOTTY :salute:

• 1 month later...

Archived