TEAM SHELBY FORUM

bigger rear tires

Yes it would, but we are not talking about much movement here. If both sides hit when compressed the issue is distance between. One difference we have not talked about is rotor hats. Which rear brake system do you have? Mine are the upgraded Baer rears. If yours are stock they might have a thinner rotor hat then mine. That might effect your overall with enough to cause this. By the amount of rubbing shown in your pictures I don't think a 1/8 spacer will do it. I think you need a 1/4".

Rears are stock.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bingo!! So you either need to spend $4000 on brakes or buy some 1/4 spacers. :doh:

Flipping back through the thread, it appears you have the rear Baer 6 pistons on 12" wheels with 335s.

BoneDoc has 11.75" with 315s but on the Baer +2 rotor kit?

Would the rear rotor arrangement work, or is BoneDoc getting away with it because of the 315s?

Flipping back through the thread, it appears you have the rear Baer 6 pistons on 12" wheels with 335s.

Would the rear rotor arrangement work, or is BoneDoc getting away with it because of the 315s?

Measure the length of the wheel stud from the rotor hat out to the edge of the stud on both the Baer set up and the stock set up that should tell you if there is any difference..

Maybe it is the rear rotors..................

As far as I know, only Super Snakes have been compared in this thread. Part of the Super Snake conversion includes a rear brake rotor upgrade and the rotors are Baer. If the complete rear brake upgrade is purchased, that is also Baer.

Maybe this is the reason..........................the brake rotors are thinner in the hat area on the stock rotors? This would place the wheels/tires in further.

A lesser expensive option (if it will work) would be to upgrade the rear rotors to the Baer set up that is part of the Super Snake conversion.

As has been mentioned above, the measurement from the hat to the end of the stud should be different, stock vs. Baer.

If you need a Baer measurment for comparision, I will have a rear wheel off this weekend. Let me know, I can take pictures for exact comparision.

R

03 DSG Snake please keep us updated on your progress.

I was about to mail my SS alcoas to Weldcraft to be widened to 12" and run 335 PS2s but I have the stock gt500 rear brakes.

I do not want to use a spacer so if your rubbing issue isnt an alignment issue i may just get them widened to 11.75" and run 315 Nitto Invos.

Thanks for the help!

Maybe it is the rear rotors..................

As far as I know, only Super Snakes have been compared in this thread. Part of the Super Snake conversion includes a rear brake rotor upgrade and the rotors are Baer. If the complete rear brake upgrade is purchased, that is also Baer.

Maybe this is the reason..........................the brake rotors are thinner in the hat area on the stock rotors? This would place the wheels/tires in further.

A lesser expensive option (if it will work) would be to upgrade the rear rotors to the Baer set up that is part of the Super Snake conversion.

As has been mentioned above, the measurement from the hat to the end of the stud should be different, stock vs. Baer.

If you need a Baer measurment for comparision, I will have a rear wheel off this weekend. Let me know, I can take pictures for exact comparision.

R

I know I'm about a week late, but if you get a chance to get the measurements that would be great.

Will be trying 1/8" spacers for now, then getting it lined up. If the Baer rotor hat is thicker that might be an easy (and prettier) fix.

I know I'm about a week late, but if you get a chance to get the measurements that would be great.

Will be trying 1/8" spacers for now, then getting it lined up. If the Baer rotor hat is thicker that might be an easy (and prettier) fix.

I did not get a chance to put the original tire on the rear last weekend, here is a picture I took this morning, the original Super Snake Baer rear rotor upgrade set-up.

Picture1933-4.jpg

R

I did not get a chance to put the original tire on the rear last weekend, here is a picture I took this morning, the original Super Snake Baer rear rotor upgrade set-up.

Picture1933-4.jpg

R

Thanks for the pic. This is what I measure on mine today (stock GT500 rotors):

IMG01028-20110212-1224.jpg

Took it to the tire shop this morning, they were leaking from the inside beads again. They used a sealant on the bead and remounted them. I had them include the 1/8" spacers I purchased from Maximum Motorsports.

Panhard looks good and I do agree that since it is rubbing the undercoating on both insides, shifting it further left/right won't do much to help. So far so good with the spacers, we'll see how it goes once I get some more miles on it.

wow thanks for the great pics guys! that stinks that you need to run spacers.

So this means with the stock rear rotors the widest I can go are 325s?

If I am not lowered can get a away with the 335s with the stock rear rotors?

The 325's are a Dunlop tire, I believe they are called Sport Maxx GT's or something like that. They are about $800 per tire, so many will do the 315's instead since multiple tire manuf. offer them at half the cost. If I were even thinking about spending $800 per tire for a 325, I would opt to get the Baer rear rotor upgrade instead, and then go with the 335's. But that is just me.

From what I have seen, the 335 contact issue is not from lowering or the fender lip, but instead it is the width and the thinner shock rear rotor hats which allow the tire/wheel assy's. to mount inward just enough to cause contact in some situations.

R

The 325's are a Dunlop tire, I believe they are called Sport Maxx GT's or something like that. They are about $800 per tire, so many will do the 315's instead since multiple tire manuf. offer them at half the cost. If I were even thinking about spending $800 per tire for a 325, I would opt to get the Baer rear rotor upgrade instead, and then go with the 335's. But that is just me.

From what I have seen, the 335 contact issue is not from lowering or the fender lip, but instead it is the width and the thinner shock rear rotor hats which allow the tire/wheel assy's. to mount inward just enough to cause contact in some situations.

R

It looks like you might have 1/8" more stud than I do, so wouldn't the Baer rotor hats be slightly thinner? :headscratch:

It looks like you might have 1/8" more stud than I do, so wouldn't the Baer rotor hats be slightly thinner? :headscratch:

Come to think of it, yes..............so that does not make sense either.

What are we missing here??

Without any spacers in place on your car and taking a picture looking straight down the rear fender lip from the top, how much tire is past the rear fender lip on your car?

R

Still trying to sort out my rubbing issues.

I replaced the FRPP shortened bumpstops with new OEM pieces, which surprisingly look the same height just about.

2.jpg

1.jpg

OEM left vs. FRPP right

Originally I did not cut enough of the bracket so I went back and trimmed more.

Before:

5.jpg

After:

12.jpg

Will be taking it in tomorrow to check the tires (they have been leaking off and on again, usually after a rubbing situation) as well as to align the Panahard on a rack.

My question is that if the Panhard is off to one side or the other, would both sides still see rubbing? :headscratch:

Driver side:

3.jpg

Passenger side:

4.jpg

Thanks all!

I noticed that the tire is also rubbing toward the front of the wheel well also. I wonder if something is up with your LCA's. Maybe something is wrong with the bushings? I hope you figure out this rubbing issue. Good luck.

Thanks again Robert! Yea I dont want to spend $800 on a tire. So it looks like the 315/35/20 nitto invos on a 11.75" widened SS rim will be the solution.

Where in FL are you Robert? I am in the Tampa area.

I am in Lakeland. I was in the Tampa/Mango area on Monday. There is a shop over there that is authorized to installed the Super Snake interior upgrade kit.

When they were done with the interior and I was getting ready to leave, the owner handed me a 2011 calender and said something like, "You'll appreciate this one........"

Picture1934-1.jpg

Oct. 2011................

Picture1935-1.jpg

R

Thanks again Robert! Yea I dont want to spend $800 on a tire. So it looks like the 315/35/20 nitto invos on a 11.75" widened SS rim will be the solution.

Where in FL are you Robert? I am in the Tampa area.

The stock SS setup 275/35 = 27.7" tall

Nitto INVO 315/35's = 28.62" tall

http://nittotire.com...%2Einvo%2Esizes

Let us know how they work.

Here are some more options for 315/35's

http://www.tirerack....ter=20&x=39&y=6

I am contemplating doing custom 20x11s to replace the Alcoas with the 315/35/20, but I'm not a fan of the gain in OD. :headscratch:

I am contemplating doing custom 20x11s to replace the Alcoas with the 315/35/20, but I'm not a fan of the gain in OD. :headscratch:

03 dsg Snake Just did the alcoa mod to 11 3/4 with the toyo r888 they measure just over 13 inches sidewall to side . I'm just curious what do your 335 s measure sidewall to sidewall on the 11 3/4 wheel

Thanks Tom

03 dsg Snake Just did the alcoa mod to 11 3/4 with the toyo r888 they measure just over 13 inches sidewall to side . I'm just curious what do your 335 s measure sidewall to sidewall on the 11 3/4 wheel

Thanks Tom

Taj, do you think 11 3/4 is perfect for the 315 r888. Bonedoc said 11 1/2 was best.

This is my next mod.

Thanks

Oh, do you have a photo of the tire sidewall on your rim?

the biggest issue with the 315/30 r888 are:

1) There is no matching front tire, unless you can squeeze a 285 up front

2) The cheapest ive seen the 315/30 r888s for is $475. While the 315/35 nitto invos can be had for $256

03 DSG Snake what scares you about the increased OD? Is it just a loss of gear ratio? Or are you worried about different rubbing issues?

I think that it is the 315/30 (not 35) that has been used by some on this forum. The 315/30 is slightly shorter than the original 275/35 set-up, but not by much, like maybe a 1/4" or so. The Toyo R888 is what most have used. I see that Dunlop also lists a 315/30 in a Sport Maxx run flat.

R

the biggest issue with the 315/30 r888 are:

1) There is no matching front tire, unless you can squeeze a 285 up front

2) The cheapest ive seen the 315/30 r888s for is $475. While the 315/35 nitto invos can be had for $256

03 DSG Snake what scares you about the increased OD? Is it just a loss of gear ratio? Or are you worried about different rubbing issues?

Nick I got my toyo 315 30 20 r888 at Tiresdirect.net for $372.00 plus they were offering free shipping in January. I was going with the 335s but couldn't find the 275s for up front ,i was told there not making them any more. Matching front and rear sizes are hard to find sometimes. Thanks Tom

There will always be a 335/30 tire.

It is on the 2004-06 Porsche Carrera GT

http://en.wikipedia....sche_Carrera_GT

Hennessy Venom GT

http://www.venomgt.c...specifications/

Pagani Zonda

http://www.pagani.co...ue/default.aspx

Both by Pirelli PZero & Michelin will always make the 335/30's

The size is also very popular with the Corvettes & Vipers.

315's are perfect for the 11.5" rim. = 315's are the stock size for the 2005-06 Ford GT rears = 11.5".

315's will work on a 11.75 = look at taj2010

http://www.teamshelb...12#entry1112312

Taj2010 is also running the Toyo R888 315's and side wall wheel lip looks great!

@11.75" = you will have options of 315. 325. or 335.

Archived