TEAM SHELBY FORUM

bigger rear tires

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

been off the form 4 a while did someone figure out how to get bigger tires on a super snake

Yes, there are two ways to go with this.............

1. Widen your existing Super Snake rear wheels and buy the appropriate rear tire. Lee was able to fit a 335 tire on his Super Snake by widening the rear wheels to 11.75 and cutting out the rear axle bumpstop brackets on each side.

2. Shorten the rear axle and add a wider rear tire that will tuck in without sticking out.

The determining $$$ factor is...................do you want to have your original Super Snake wheels cut and widened, or do you want to buy a second set of Alcoa's and have them widened?

The above options can range from $500 plus shipping for wheel widening, plus tires ($300-$450 ea.), or buying a shortened axle ($2300) , and then buying wider tires.........

There are also other variables.............do you want to have your original Super Snake wheels widened? or buy a second pair of Alcoa's for the widening?

I have explored all of the options and this project can range anywhere from $1200-$1500 to approx. $4500 for a full set of matching replacement Alcoa's widened to 9.5 on the front and 11.xx on the rear with new matching tires all the way around.

R

remember someone saying something about shelby making a SS rim wider with diff off set any truth to that

It was talked about, but it never came to be. Call James at Weldcraft and get them streched. I love mine. Twoi good choices for tires out there once you widen the rears. Nitto makes a 315/30/20 drag radial or you can go all the way with the 335/30/20 PS2 from Michelin. I am running the PS2 and my wheels were streched by 2" to 12". They will fit all under the wheelwells also. My sidewall only moved 1/4 out from stock. You can not notice till you get around to the back.

post-24857-127142177782_thumb.jpg

post-24857-127142182451_thumb.jpg

post-24857-127142183704_thumb.jpg

post-24857-127142177782_thumb.jpg

post-24857-127142182451_thumb.jpg

post-24857-127142183704_thumb.jpg

$225 per wheel. Took about 2 weeks.

+1

this is the way to go.

widened mine on lee's advice and the hookup is much better. you essentially add about 100 effective horsepower to your car on the street.

I went with 11.75" and the Toyo 315/30/20. Weldcraft wheels did my widening as well.

Ron

+1

this is the way to go.

widened mine on lee's advice and the hookup is much better. you essentially add about 100 effective horsepower to your car on the street.

I went with 11.75" and the Toyo 315/30/20. Weldcraft wheels did my widening as well.

Ron

thanks u guys have been a big help

thanks u guys have been a big help

+1

I also followed Lee's lead and advice(Thank you very much Lee!) and got my wheels widened to 11.75". I am currently running 305's and WOW! what a difference. I plan to go to 335's on my next set of tires. It makes the car drivable, much safer and faster. The 2nd gear acceleration is unbelievable after you are used to spinning the 275's at will. Make sure you tell James at Weldcraft that you want the welds blended out. It makes a huge difference in the look of the wheel, most people will not be able to tell you had them widended. Otherwise you will be able to see the weld beads when you look through the spokes.

You gotta do this. It is the way to go. Shotening the axles, still limits you on the size of tire you can put on the stock SS wheel(305 max).

BJ

+1

I also followed Lee's lead and advice(Thank you very much Lee!) and got my wheels widened to 11.75". I am currently running 305's and WOW! what a difference. I plan to go to 335's on my next set of tires. It makes the car drivable, much safer and faster. The 2nd gear acceleration is unbelievable after you are used to spinning the 275's at will. Make sure you tell James at Weldcraft that you want the welds blended out. It makes a huge difference in the look of the wheel, most people will not be able to tell you had them widended. Otherwise you will be able to see the weld beads when you look through the spokes.

You gotta do this. It is the way to go. Shotening the axles, still limits you on the size of tire you can put on the stock SS wheel(305 max).

BJ

I went witth 295/35/20 Michelin PS2s on tthe stock rims in the rear and the same size as stock in front. They are way better than the P Zeros. 305s were only 4 tenths of an inch wider and everthing fits like stock. I cannot beleive how much better the car handles and hooks up - The tires are a little spendy, but worth every penny. It is the number one rated tire in both the US and Europe. The warmer weather is really showing the differences. I tried Goodyears and sold them. blksnake

I went witth 295/35/20 Michelin PS2s on tthe stock rims in the rear and the same size as stock in front. They are way better than the P Zeros. 305s were only 4 tenths of an inch wider and everthing fits like stock. I cannot beleive how much better the car handles and hooks up - The tires are a little spendy, but worth every penny. It is the number one rated tire in both the US and Europe. The warmer weather is really showing the differences. I tried Goodyears and sold them. blksnake

just called james at weldcraft 4 weeks and 275 a wheel

It was talked about, but it never came to be. Call James at Weldcraft and get them streched. I love mine. Twoi good choices for tires out there once you widen the rears. Nitto makes a 315/30/20 drag radial or you can go all the way with the 335/30/20 PS2 from Michelin. I am running the PS2 and my wheels were streched by 2" to 12". They will fit all under the wheelwells also. My sidewall only moved 1/4 out from stock. You can not notice till you get around to the back.

Looks fantastic! Did you have any issue's with inside interferance with the bump stop or shocks with adding 2 inches? Noticed BoneDoc only went with 11.75" on his.

Looks fantastic! Did you have any issue's with inside interferance with the bump stop or shocks with adding 2 inches? Noticed BoneDoc only went with 11.75" on his.

That is why I mentioned 11.75 in my post. From what I remember Lee had mentioned some contact on one side when he installed his 12's, and he recommended 11.75 instead.

R

I have priced this PS2 option also, except with 275's up front. It was approx. $1600. How do the 255's and 295's compare looks wise when viewing the two at the sidewall? Do both have the same bulge? or is the 295 on the 10" rim a little fatter looking than the 255 on the 9" rim?

R

I had to cut the upper portion of the bracket off along with the dust cover for the shock. My 12's were so tight I even had to scrap the undercoating off the ridge on the inside of the fenderwell, but after all that the 335's clear just fine. The 11.75 would make that a little easier. I believe James will even do them in 11 7/8 now. The 12's give you the closest sidewall to the stock tire, but its definitly a tight fit. All these cars are just a tad bit different but if you do the 12" and you have a little rubbing you can always add a small spacer to push the tires out a hair if you need to. I am running a 1/8 spacer on the passenger side because when flexing its a little tighter than the drivers due to the panhard rod (doubt I really need it, but just wanted to be safe). Should not have to worried about that with a 11.75 or 11 7/8 rim.

I had to cut the upper portion of the bracket off along with the dust cover for the shock. My 12's were so tight I even had to scrap the undercoating off the ridge on the inside of the fenderwell, but after all that the 335's clear just fine. The 11.75 would make that a little easier. I believe James will even do them in 11 7/8 now. The 12's give you the closest sidewall to the stock tire, but its definitly a tight fit. All these cars are just a tad bit different but if you do the 12" and you have a little rubbing you can always add a small spacer to push the tires out a hair if you need to. I am running a 1/8 spacer on the passenger side because when flexing its a little tighter than the drivers due to the panhard rod (doubt I really need it, but just wanted to be safe). Should not have to worried about that with a 11.75 or 11 7/8 rim.

Good advice Lee. and Robert. Think I will go with the 11.75 with the 335 x 30's PS2's as that would be a better choice with less mods to the chassis and have them blended. Has anyone tried the 20 x 10's on the front with the 255's or 275 x 30's?

Lee,

Since you used the spacer, you did not use an adjustable panhard?

What did you use for TPMS?

Yes. I have an adjustable panhard. My axle was dead center, but on full compression the passenger side comes in more than the driver. Honestly I doubt I would ever see full compression on the street so I doubt I would even need the spacer. I have been planning on pulling it off and driving it to see if it rubbed, I just have not done it yet.

Good advice Lee. and Robert. Think I will go with the 11.75 with the 335 x 30's PS2's as that would be a better choice with less mods to the chassis and have them blended. Has anyone tried the 20 x 10's on the front with the 255's or 275 x 30's?

You will have to do the same mods to the chassis. The bracket will have to come off with a 335 no matter what.

Thanks Lee,

I have my 20" Alcoas in route.

How wide do can I go with my rims without modding my car? Also what is the widest PS2 tire I could run without rubbing or it being so wide it sprays roost and causes paint chips?

Jody

I asked this same question about a year ago, the 10" move to the front........and no one had done this at that time. The 255's (at least in a P zero) seem a little small for the 9" front rims, so I'm sure they would be way small on a 10" front. I am not sure what tire size would work best........if the 10's did in fact fit the front.

My choice is to have the front 9's widened to 9.5 while widening the rears to 11.75/11 3/4". I still have a personal issue with cuting the only pair or set of Super Snake logo'ed Alcoa wheels that I will ever have for my car. I would almost prefer to buy the generic SPP Alcoa replacements and have them cut and widened, but then we are quickly heading toward the $4500+ wheel widening project that I mentioned in an above post. The extra set of wheels alone will be $2K plus shipping, and then $1600 + or - for the tires, plus shipping and then the $1000+ for widening front and rear, plus shipping. LOTS of $$$. All of this to preserve the "one time only" Super Snake Alcoa's.

R

Thanks Lee,

I have my 20" Alcoas in route.

How wide do can I go with my rims without modding my car? Also what is the widest PS2 tire I could run without rubbing or it being so wide it sprays roost and causes paint chips?

Jody

As far as the no paint chips and no roost you can go a 335. Check out the two pictures below. The red one is a 275 and the grabber orange one is a 335. Maybe an 1/8 difference. The entire tread is under the fenderwell.

Without moding the car I do not know for sure (keep in mind we are not talking about much of a mod here). I would guess you could go to 10.5". Tire would be a 305. I doubt you could fit a 315.

I know you can not fit a stock GT500 rim widened to 11" without the mod, but they are set in about 1/2" more and are only 18".

post-24857-127171397234_thumb.jpg

post-24857-127171398911_thumb.jpg

post-24857-127171397234_thumb.jpg

post-24857-127171398911_thumb.jpg

As far as the no paint chips and no roost you can go a 335. Check out the two pictures below. The red one is a 275 and the grabber orange one is a 335. Maybe an 1/8 difference. The entire tread is under the fenderwell.

Without moding the car I do not know for sure (keep in mind we are not talking about much of a mod here). I would guess you could go to 10.5". Tire would be a 305. I doubt you could fit a 315.

I know you can not fit a stock GT500 rim widened to 11" without the mod, but they are set in about 1/2" more and are only 18".

Lee - My Red SS and your Grabber SS look good next to each other. That is a great side-by-side comparision. Your 335 mod is "the mod" for getting as large a tire as possible under the back of a Super Snake and still look like it did when it left SAI. NICE!!

R

Lee - My Red SS and your Grabber SS look good next to each other. That is a great side-by-side comparision. Your 335 mod is "the mod" for getting as large a tire as possible under the back of a Super Snake and still look like it did when it left SAI. NICE!!

R

Hope you did not mind me snagging your picture. The tire mod is a simple one and really helps the car allot.

Hope you did not mind me snagging your picture. The tire mod is a simple one and really helps the car allot.

No problem with the picture snag. It is a good comparision photo. I also noticed that my pucture shows my upper side scoop mod which makes the scoop appear functional as the original scoops actually were.

R

No problem with the picture snag. It is a good comparision photo. I also noticed that my pucture shows my upper side scoop mod which makes the scoop appear functional as the original scoops actually were.

R

I have been planning on doing that on mine. I really like the look.

Has anyone run 305x35 PS2's on the rear with the stock 20x10 rims? Looks like the 295x35 fit ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived