TEAM SHELBY FORUM

bigger rear tires

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^

fyi, bumpstops prevent the axle and susp. from over compressing.....springs control the height.......you don't want the body to sit on the stops or you have no suspension and it will ride like a rock and spin like crazy

Correct.

But when one wheel dropping while the other is lifting, a shorter bumpstop will allow it to lift higher up into the body as well.

After speaking with Lee N. further recently, and discussing 11.75" vs. 12", he said that he does not feel that 12" was a bad thing. He has had no contact during his driving experiences since the 12" install, and he said that the only time that there was "slight contact" with the sound deadener (on one side only during the initial install) was when the suspension was fully compressed on that side and fully extended on the other, which most likely will not happen to any of us, or if it does it will be few and far between. He said that he is going to remove his 1/8" spacer from the one side that it was installed, but has not taken the time to do so.

After our discussion(s), I have sent my Alcoa's out to Weldcraft for 12" widening. I want my rear 335/30 PS2's to match the 275/35 PS2 profile on the front perfectly and I believe that 12" will provide this look.

Here is the 275/35 PS2 9" front, flat side wall with a slight bulge and the rim guard feature fits the rim lip properly......................

Picture1855.jpg

The 275/35 PS2's have been on nationwide backorder for months, I found one new in PA and the other in CA. Now I see that Tire Rack no longer lists the PS2 in the 275/35/20.........

R

Talked to Michelin today and they have discontinued the 275x35x20 PS2's. He had no suggestion for a replacement tire from Michelin. That really sucks!

Talked to Michelin today and they have discontinued the 275x35x20 PS2's. He had no suggestion for a replacement tire from Michelin. That really sucks!

It took me months to find two new ones. Like I mentioned, I found one at a tire store in PA. and one at a tire store in CA. Before that I had called every tire dealer that showed this 275/35 PS2 in their inventory after doing a Google search for this specific tire. No one had this size PS2, then, just by luck, I stumbled upon two of them at opposite ends of the U.S.

I have two nice used ones, but I really wanted new since I am doing a complete tire/wheel make-over on all four corners. I will probably stick the two used ones on eBay........

R

Getting ready to send alcoas to Weldcraft to get them widened ,just wanted to see if anybody has any good pictures of what the 335 30 20 michelin tire look and sit like against the rear quarter panel.any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Tommy

Tommy - My wheels have just been finished at Weldcraft so I do not have them back, and 335's mounted. I hope to have them here and tires mounted by mid-January. I have the 335 PS2's, I'm just waiting on the wheels.

R

Getting ready to send alcoas to Weldcraft to get them widened ,just wanted to see if anybody has any good pictures of what the 335 30 20 michelin tire look and sit like against the rear quarter panel.any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Tommy

You looking for clearance between the tire and the inner fenderwell or the tire to the outer edge of the fenderlip?

Super Snake guys with the Ford Racing springs:

Are you using the stock or trimmed axle bumpstops?

I think my shorter Ford Racing bumpstops might be causing a little more rub than desired. Such as that when the axle goes 1 up 1 down / at extreme angles (45 degrees into a driveway) it's allowed to twist more with the shorter stops. :headscratch:

Stock. If mine were any shorter then my tires would rub like crazy.

You looking for clearance between the tire and the inner fenderwell or the tire to the outer edge of the fenderlip?

Lee I was just looking for some front and rear pictures of the outer edge of the fender wheel lip, but if you have any of the clearence of the inner fender well would help.

Thanks Tommy

Stock. If mine were any shorter then my tires would rub like crazy.

I think i found my answer.

My stockers were cut by the shop that slapped the Alcoas on. I ordered the FRPP 'shorter' bumpstops and installed them along with my widened Alcoas. They were actually taller than my cut stockers.

Like I mentioned before, I will rub when going into a steep driveway at an angle, with one tire all the way down and the other all the way up. I imagine a slightly taller bumpstop would help the side the tucks up into the fender well.

I will be ordering the OEM bumpstops and replacing ASAP.

Lee I was just looking for some front and rear pictures of the outer edge of the fender wheel lip, but if you have any of the clearence of the inner fender well would help.

Thanks Tommy

Here is a side profile of my 335's. There is no clearance on the inside fenderwell. They are as tight as they can be. I had to remove the undercoating on mine because its so tight. But they clear! From the side they look stock, but from the back they look nasty!

post-24857-077638400 1292880694_thumb.jpg

post-24857-075684300 1292880715_thumb.jpg

post-24857-077638400 1292880694_thumb.jpg

post-24857-075684300 1292880715_thumb.jpg

Here is a side profile of my 335's. There is no clearance on the inside fenderwell. They are as tight as they can be. I had to remove the undercoating on mine because its so tight. But they clear! From the side they look stock, but from the back they look nasty!

In addition to Lee's post above^^^^^^^^^^...................

Post #23 on page number 2 of this thread shows a side-by-side of my Red Super Snake (original 10" Alcoa with 275/35 as shown below) and Lee N's Grabber Super Snake with the 12" Alcoa and the 335 tire. The profile difference between these two tire/wheel combo's is so slight that I don't even know if it would be noticed.

For those who want to see the comparision 275 - 10" vs. 335 - 12", enlarge Lee's first picture in the above post and then compare it to my picture below. You would think that they are the same tire/wheel combo...........

Picturedownload5-2-09028.jpg

R

Post #23 on page number 2 of this thread shows a side-by-side of my Red Super Snake (original 10" Alcoa with 275/35 as shown below) and Lee N's Grabber Super Snake with the 12" Alcoa and the 335 tire. The profile difference between these two tire/wheel combo's is so slight that I don't even know if it would be noticed.

For those who want to see the comparision 275 - 10" vs. 335 - 12", enlarge Lee's first picture in the above post and then compare it to my picture below. You would think that they are the same tire/wheel combo...........

Picturedownload5-2-09028.jpg

Thanks- Lee ,Robert The pictures were a big help ,still on the fence what way to go 335 ps2 or 315 toyo r888 not as wide little softer compound.I have a 2010, took measurements on 2009 this week end , different quarter panel on mine ,but they both measure 13 3/4 inches from the under coating above the bump stop out to the outside quarter panel lip. Just waiting on the front matte black alcoas ,the rear came in perfect the originals fronts came damaged because the weren't packaged right .

just want to make sure the finish and powder coating matches on all 4 wheels before sending them to James at weldrcaft.

R

j

If Michelin is discontinuing the 275x35x20 PS2's and Robert M bought the last two known to mankind.

Robert are your front Alcoa's stock size 20x9?

What are the other options for the fronts? on the stock 20x9 wheel.

Also then .... How long will Michelin be producing the 335x30xZR20's? and how hard will it be to find 335's?

Again, I really like the look of the Michelin front & rear setup like Robert.

Now considering the Toyo R888 315x30x20, what would be a good match for the stock SS fronts 20x9's?

Also, now considering changing out my FRPP FR3 struts & shocks.

Considering: Tokico D-Spec Struts & Shocks.

I am thinking I just don't like the way my girl bounces down the road.

Do you think I could keep the FRPP FR3 springs? The Tokico D-Spec Suspension package "kit" includes new spring and lowers the SS an additional .25" = total 1.5" lower vs the FR3 1.25" lower.

If Michelin is discontinuing the 275x35x20 PS2's and Robert M bought the last two known to mankind.

Robert are your front Alcoa's stock size 20x9?

What are the other options for the fronts? on the stock 20x9 wheel.

Also then .... How long will Michelin be producing the 335x30xZR20's? and how hard will it be to find 335's?

Again, I really like the look of the Michelin front & rear setup like Robert.

Now considering the Toyo R888 315x30x20, what would be a good match for the stock SS fronts 20x9's?

Also, now considering changing out my FRPP FR3 struts & shocks.

Considering: Tokico D-Spec Struts & Shocks.

I am thinking I just don't like the way my girl bounces down the road.

Do you think I could keep the FRPP FR3 springs? The Tokico D-Spec Suspension package "kit" includes new spring and lowers the SS an additional .25" = total 1.5" lower vs the FR3 1.25" lower.

Yes, that 275/35 PS2 is mounted on a 9" rim. My original plan was to widen the front 9" Alcoa's to 9.5", but after I mounted the 275 on that wheel I realized that 9" is the perfect size for a 275/35 Michelin PS2.<<That saved me $700+, $275ea for widening plus $50 per wheel to smooth the welds, plus shipping to and from Weldcraft. I believe the 275/35 P Zero's (from the rear) may fit the 9" rim nicely also, a full Pirelli tire option is discussed below.

I considered the 315 Toyo R888, but the only R888 that would remotely match on the front was a 285 and the rim would have to be closer to 10". I do not think that a 10" rim and tire assy. will clear the front strut without modifications.

My goal was to have a full matching replacement set of wheels/tires through this widening adventure.

One tire that has not been mentioned (well actually I mentioned it months ago), and it "may" be something to consider, the P Zero Rosso in a 335/30. This would be for the person who is interested in moving their original 275/35 P Zero's to the front 9" Alcoa's and keep a Pirelli brand tire on the rear after the widening process. The only questionable portion of this 335/30 Rosso is its 13.8" section measurement vs. the PS2 13.5". This slight .3" may be the difference in "go and no-go". Rosso's are supposed to be a great performance tire. Here is the Tire Rack link.........................

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Rosso&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=33YR00ARN0&tab=Specs

R

According to Autoweek and Road & Track the Pilot Super Sport is the replacement for the PS2 and should have 60 sizes out next year. Could not find a link to the Autoweek artical but here is the Road & Track one.

Michellin Pilot Super Sport link

That sounds like a nice replacement for the PS2. If the 20's are offered in the 275/35 and 335/30 sizes when I need replacements, that will probably be my choice.

Thank you for the link.

R

That sounds like a nice replacement for the PS2. If the 20's are offered in the 275/35 and 335/30 sizes when I need replacements, that will probably be my choice.

Thank you for the link.

R

Tire Rack announced Michelin released the new Pilot Super Sports as the replacement for the PS2:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=141

Two sizes currrently available 285x30x20 and 315x35x20

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&

Michelin's website on the Super Sport:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/name/pilot-super-sport-tires?

Tire Rack announced Michelin released the new Pilot Super Sports as the replacement for the PS2:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&

Super Sports show a treadwear of 300 vs. the 220 of the PS2s. :headscratch:

Super Sports show a treadwear of 300 vs. the 220 of the PS2s. :headscratch:

I would guess that they are a harder 300 treadwear to satisfy more OEM applications. From my past experience with tires, the tread wear goes down as the tires become softer/stickier, but, there are also complaints of accelerated tire wear if they are used in a street application............

If I remember correctly, the 285 and 315 tire sizes that have been mentioned as being available are OEM GT-R sizes, or they are sizes in 20's that are desireable as an upgrade for the GT-R crowd.

R

Thanks Tommy

Here are a couple of shots of the inner fenderwell clearance.

post-24857-037448300 1293024759_thumb.jpg

post-24857-082934900 1293024767_thumb.jpg

post-24857-037448300 1293024759_thumb.jpg

post-24857-082934900 1293024767_thumb.jpg

A little Off Topic, but does anyone know if Michellin will offer a replacement for the 285/40/18's Pilot Sports that are also being discontinued? I really, really liked those tires on my 08 GT500.

Finally got my alcoas and just wanted to ask this one last time, make sure I can get this done right.

If I go with the toyo r888 with a 315/30/20, how much do I need to widen the wheel and can i do this without removing the bracket or the shock cover?

thanks again, I know I have been through this a few times, but now that i have the wheel, Im looking at my options and are considering the toyo r888.

I THINK LEE IS GOING TO KILL ME for posting again:)

Finally got my alcoas and just wanted to ask this one last time, make sure I can get this done right.

If I go with the toyo r888 with a 315/30/20, how much do I need to widen the wheel and can i do this without removing the bracket or the shock cover?

thanks again, I know I have been through this a few times, but now that i have the wheel, Im looking at my options and are considering the toyo r888.

I THINK LEE IS GOING TO KILL ME for posting again:)

i have the same setup with the R888. widen to 11.75 inches.... that will give you the option to go with 335's in the future if you so desire. if your sure you will not go with 335's in the future, then you can widen to 11.5" (will give you a bit more protective overhang). ask weldcraft to grind down and polish out the weld (i did not have this done but apparently they will do this now according to some members here?). you will have to remove dust boot from the shock- don't sweat it... it is a flimsy peice of plastic with little use anyway. will take you 5 minutes with a box cutter to get them off. you will also have to trim bumpstop bracket with a flat grinder if you go with this combo. it is well worth it. you effectively add probably about 80-100 HP delivered to the ground. if someone ever offers me a million dollars for my supersnake i can always take a bumpstop brackt from any old V6 mustang in the junkyard and repair to factory fresh. good luck.

Merry Christmas everybody! and Happy New Year!

Ron

Thank you for the link.

R

Hello Fellow Maniacs!

After some serious consideration and silly mulling over this fat boy look using my SS wheels. I've decided to go out to 9.5 front on a 275/30/20 Pirelli PZero and 11.5 rear at 325/30/20 PZero. I do agree widening the Alcoa's out a tad sure does look better. I do hope mine are widened and mounted before the bash so I can drive out on them. :)

DId you guys here about Joe Gosinski from Chicane? Check out the off topic thread if you are interested

Hello Fellow Maniacs!

After some serious consideration and silly mulling over this fat boy look using my SS wheels. I've decided to go out to 9.5 front on a 275/30/20 Pirelli PZero and 11.5 rear at 325/30/20 PZero. I do agree widening the Alcoa's out a tad sure does look better. I do hope mine are widened and mounted before the bash so I can drive out on them. :)

DId you guys here about Joe Gosinski from Chicane? Check out the off topic thread if you are interested

does Pirelli ake a 325/30/20 Pzero?

Yes, in fact in the PZero they do. You can get a 335 but you drop to i think it was 20 or 25 on the sidewall geomentry, I wouldn't recommend that on a car this heavy. God didn't give us pot holes ...man did :banghead:

Hello Fellow Maniacs!

I think you're mistaken.........I checked their site and the fact remains, the only 325/30/20 on the market is the Dunlop Sport Maxx GT. Typo???

Archived