TEAM SHELBY FORUM

bigger rear tires

OK, this is the question I have, which Lee wrote but was not answered. If we go with 11.5" wide Alocoa and a 305/30/20 tire, will we need to trim the bump stop or shock boot? Or is 11" the widest? I don't want to cut anything up on my KR or effect the ride with a passenger.

Thanks,

Gary

You should not effect the passenger ride no matter what you do. Mine has 12's and has no problems with passengers. Since you have a KR your wheels are 18". I believe you will need to trim the stops at 11.5" wide. Mt stock GT500 wheels are now 11" and they hit. They have 1" less offset which would push the back wheel lip to the same place as an alcoa widened to 11.5. Honestly a 11.5 is a little wide for a 305 anyway. Better stay with am 11". SInce you have the very rare and sought after 18" alco's on your car your 305's will hook like a 315 on a 20".

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reply Lee. I will go with 11" and 305s. This is much better than stock, and no cutting is needed on the KR. I will be storing my 18" Alcoas, while running 20" Alcoas.

• 2 weeks later...

You should not effect the passenger ride no matter what you do. Mine has 12's and has no problems with passengers. Since you have a KR your wheels are 18". I believe you will need to trim the stops at 11.5" wide. Mt stock GT500 wheels are now 11" and they hit. They have 1" less offset which would push the back wheel lip to the same place as an alcoa widened to 11.5. Honestly a 11.5 is a little wide for a 305 anyway. Better stay with am 11". SInce you have the very rare and sought after 18" alco's on your car your 305's will hook like a 315 on a 20".

Lee,

I'm a friend of Gary's and I have an 08 Super Snake. I'm looking to up my power to 720rwhp over the winter and want to go with the 315/35/20 Nitto NT05's in the rear. All they call for is an 11" rim. I currently have 555R's in 305/35/20 and they rub on the stock wheels. I'm wondering if I only widen to 11" and use the 315/35's will I have the same problem and will I have to cut the bump stops and dust boots?

Brian

Lee,

I'm a friend of Gary's and I have an 08 Super Snake. I'm looking to up my power to 720rwhp over the winter and want to go with the 315/35/20 Nitto NT05's in the rear. All they call for is an 11" rim. I currently have 555R's in 305/35/20 and they rub on the stock wheels. I'm wondering if I only widen to 11" and use the 315/35's will I have the same problem and will I have to cut the bump stops and dust boots?

Brian

I have 07SS 11.750 rimes 315/35/20 nitto NT05R they fit my car just fine. No rubbing or trimming needed still wont hook at the track no sidewall with a 20' RIM

I have 07SS 11.750 rimes 315/35/20 nitto NT05R they fit my car just fine. No rubbing or trimming needed still wont hook at the track no sidewall with a 20' RIM

You have widened your original Alcoa SS wheels to 11.75 and have not needed to mod your bumpstop bracket or remove/modify your shock boot on each side?

I thought Miamimtg had done this using the same Nitto tires and mods were required to fit this set-up in place?

There may have been no contact when the suspension was in the normal compressed position on both sides, but I though the issue was when the suspension was compressed on one side and extended on the other, that is when there are contact issues?

R

You have widened your original Alcoa SS wheels to 11.75 and have not needed to mod your bumpstop bracket or remove/modify your shock boot on each side?

I thought Miamimtg had done this using the same Nitto tires and mods were required to fit this set-up in place?

There may have been no contact when the suspension was in the normal compressed position on both sides, but I though the issue was when the suspension was compressed on one side and extended on the other, that is when there are contact issues?

R

i made sure the rearend was centered it was1/4 off one way. moved it 1/8 have not adjusted supension since it was SS bought new rims had them widened also have 295/35/20 PS2on my stock SSrims with no problem.

FRPP is releasing new shortened bumpstops for these cars, specifically those using FRPP Springs, which some of the Super Snakes have I believe. :headscratch:

The goal appears to be more suspension travel before bottoming out on the bumpstops, to allow for a slightly easier ride. Any idea on how these might work with the wider SS Alcoas?

M-5570-A.jpg

* Unique jounce stops designed for improved stability/ride comfort when used in conjunction with FRPP lowering springs

* Fits 2005-2011 Mustang V6, GT and 2007-2011 Mustang SVT

* Includes front and rear jounce stops.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12272

FRPP is releasing new shortened bumpstops for these cars, specifically those using FRPP Springs, which some of the Super Snakes have I believe. :headscratch:

The goal appears to be more suspension travel before bottoming out on the bumpstops, to allow for a slightly easier ride. Any idea on how these might work with the wider SS Alcoas?

M-5570-A.jpg

* Unique jounce stops designed for improved stability/ride comfort when used in conjunction with FRPP lowering springs

i think they will work fine with widened alcoas... the issue with the wider alcoas is not the bump stop itself.... but the bumpstop bracket.

i think they will work fine with widened alcoas... the issue with the wider alcoas is not the bump stop itself.... but the bumpstop bracket.

Right, but these should allow the Suspension to compress further and bring the wheels higher into the wheel wells. :headscratch:

I think I'm going to try 11.75" with the 335 PS2s. All hail them mighty GT500SS Overlords :bowdown:

Right, but these should allow the Suspension to compress further and bring the wheels higher into the wheel wells. :headscratch:

I think I'm going to try 11.75" with the 335 PS2s. All hail them mighty GT500SS Overlords :bowdown:

let us know.

my wheels actually came closest to rubbing with the suspension unloaded. no issues at all when loaded to bumpstop.

Ron

Lee,

Brian

Your 305's on the stock rims are most likely running on the outside fender lip when the axle compresses. If you go with a 11.5 or wider rim, the added rubber will be inside the wheelwell so it should not run anymore. You will have to loose the air ducts for the brakes and trim the bracket to do this. I can promise with 720 hp at the tire (where my car is) you will wish you went with 335's.

M-5570-A.jpg

With wider rims and tires you need to worry about the tires rubbing with more compression. They would be great with a 275-295 tire, but no way these would work on my car.

What about a 315 on an 11 or 11.5 stretched wheel?

Odds would be better with an 11.5 than an 11". Also it depends on the height of the tire. My 335's are 28" tall which makes it worse. The 315/30's are 27.8 from what I remember so that would give you a little more wiggle room. Personally I would go atleast 11.75". Should not have a problem then and you can go with 335's in the future if you want to.

Odds would be better with an 11.5 than an 11". Also it depends on the height of the tire. My 335's are 28" tall which makes it worse. The 315/30's are 27.8 from what I remember so that would give you a little more wiggle room. Personally I would go atleast 11.75". Should not have a problem then and you can go with 335's in the future if you want to.

Is Toyo R888 the only tire in 315/30? No results found on TireRack or Tires.com. I dig the R888s but would prefer something with a little more life in them.

Is Toyo R888 the only tire in 315/30? No results found on TireRack or Tires.com. I dig the R888s but would prefer something with a little more life in them.

Thats the only one I know of. Two choices that I know of: 315 R888 or the 335 PS2.

Thats the only one I know of. Two choices that I know of: 315 R888 or the 335 PS2.

I think I will try the 335 PS2s on 11.75". The bumpstops would be nice to ease up the ride, but with the tires no longer rubbing I should be able to soften the settings on the shocks to compensate nicely for long cruises.

You sir an Alcoa Pioneer :salute:

I think I will try the 335 PS2s on 11.75". The bumpstops would be nice to ease up the ride, but with the tires no longer rubbing I should be able to soften the settings on the shocks to compensate nicely for long cruises.

You sir an Alcoa Pioneer :salute:

Make sure you center the axle. You will love the 335's. On grooved pavement you can feel the added width. They kinda give away whats under the hood as well. If you want to do the smaller bumpstops you can go with the 335/25. Its a little shorter, but not too short where it looks funny. I mounted both on mine, but I liked the look of the tall tire better. The shorter one would give you more clearance.

Make sure you center the axle. You will love the 335's. On grooved pavement you can feel the added width. They kinda give away whats under the hood as well. If you want to do the smaller bumpstops you can go with the 335/25. Its a little shorter, but not too short where it looks funny. I mounted both on mine, but I liked the look of the tall tire better. The shorter one would give you more clearance.

Currently running 305/35/20 Nitto 555Rs on the stock Alcoas with an OD of 28.58". Looking forward to losing a little tire height. :happy feet:

3rd more expensive option.....like mine, Dunlop Sportmaxx GT in 325/30/20, 13 wide, 27.7 tall. You won't like the price but are Dunlops top dog! Requires min of 11" rim

I questioned the use/purchase of these tires recently and was told that the PS2's are rated better than the Sport Maxx GT's, and you are right, at $800 + or - per tire...................

R

Currently running 305/35/20 Nitto 555Rs on the stock Alcoas with an OD of 28.58". Looking forward to losing a little tire height. :happy feet:

how did you run the 305 without doing anything to the wheel? is your car lowered? I was under the impression that with a ffrp loweriong spring and a 305/35/20 555r it would rub

I questioned the use/purchase of these tires recently and was told that the PS2's are rated better than the Sport Maxx GT's, and you are right, at $800 + or - per tire...................

R

I have always heard the PS2 is a higher rated tire as well. The rating, the price and the fact that the PS2 is wider made me choose it over the Dunlap.

^^^

When you consider the Dunlop in that size is only made for a $200K AMG SL65, I'm sure it's more than a fine tire.....and for me, the perfect size. Yes, I'm sure price has plenty to do with the decision. Cheers

Ahhhh, now it all makes sense. I kept wondering why that specific size tire leaped in price, in comparision to the same tire in a different size. It is a "wine and cheese exclusive". Now I understand.

But yes, I am sure it is a fine tire. I also agree that it is a very good size/choice for this widening project.

R

how did you run the 305 without doing anything to the wheel? is your car lowered? I was under the impression that with a ffrp loweriong spring and a 305/35/20 555r it would rub

It looks and performs great, but does rub slightly with 2 people in the car and quick suspension compression such as hitting a dip on the freeway at 80mph.

Ready to be rid of it :happy feet:

It looks and performs great, but does rub slightly with 2 people in the car and quick suspension compression such as hitting a dip on the freeway at 80mph.

Ready to be rid of it :happy feet:

What width rims? My 335's do not rub.

^^^

When you consider the Dunlop in that size is only made for a $200K AMG SL65, I'm sure it's more than a fine tire.....and for me, the perfect size. Yes, I'm sure price has plenty to do with the decision. Cheers

The PS2 comes on the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo, Bugatti Veron, ZR1 Vette, Lingenfelder Vette, and more Ferrari's than you can shake a stick at! Not to mention its 1/2 the price. I can understand if you just like the size, but the Dunlap its not a better tire. Besides the SL65 is not that impressive or a performance car anyway. So I do not think them being on this car (and this car only) would give them the "Top Dog" status. Not trying to start anything here, just trying to understand the choice.

Archived