TEAM SHELBY FORUM

bigger rear tires

Jim, my Boze Tach's were widened to 11.5". The 325 Sport Cup 2's have arrived I'll pick them up tomorrow. I stiil have a bit of life left in the Dunlop 325's. The Dunlops fit perfect on the 11.5"

Have you dismounted your 325/30 Dunlops off of the 11.5" wheels?

Is that your car I added to the post above?

R

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Robert, that is my baby. I have not dismounted my current Dunlops yet but I will take a photo of the unmounted 325 Michelins next to a new pair of Dunlop 325's I have and post it by friday.

Your car looks Great!!

If you don't mind, I need you to take a measurement for me, before the 325 Dunlops are dismounted. I will add a picture in the next day or two showing what measurement I am looking for.

Thanks

Here is the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 in 325 30 20 (left) next to the Dunlop 325 30 20 right. I am really liking the semi slick tread on the Michelin (this portion is mounted to the OUTSIDE). Next to the new Dunlop they are about 3/4" shorter and the sectional width is identical for both. I am expecting an outstanding fit to my 11.5" Boze rims. I was told by Michelin that I recieved the first two to arrive in North America in 325.

Picture028_zpsa749027f.jpg

I have two seasons and 7,000 miles on my current Dunlops. During that time I got caught driving in many rainy conditions during quite a few long road trips and you are correct about the Dunlops being good in the rain. I felt very confident with them.

Here is the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 in 325 30 20 (left) next to the Dunlop 325 30 20 right. I am really liking the semi slick tread on the Michelin (this portion is mounted to the OUTSIDE). Next to the new Dunlop they are about 3/4" shorter and the sectional width is identical for both. I am expecting an outstanding fit to my 11.5" Boze rims. I was told by Michelin that I recieved the first two to arrive in North America in 325.

Shows you how much manufacturers' specs vary, huh?

Jer

E - I sent you a PM.

R

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a pair of Sport Cup 2 in 325 30 20 today for $575 ea. Also, the Michelins are 5 pounds lighter ea than the Dunlops in 325.

FYI went to costco to see if they would order the sport cup 2 tires. They now have a part number and will beat online pricing. If you go to your local costco they will want to call Michelin to verify the tire is available then may need to place a request to there warehouse for a costco part number which will take no more then two days.

Mitchelin only makes the 325 and a 305 30/20 tire, and the 305 needs a 10.5 wheel and I think a 305 up front may cause under steer, the only other Mitchelin choices would be 35/20 tire, not sure how a 30/20 rear would work with a 35/20 front tire, but then I'm not a tire expert.

So what front tire would work with the Mitchelin 325 30 20 rear?

Rear wheels are 11.75 they said the 325 30 20 will fit.

Front wheels are 10.0

FYI went to costco to see if they would order the sport cup 2 tires. They now have a part number and will beat online pricing. If you go to your local costco they will want to call Michelin to verify the tire is available then may need to place a request to there warehouse for a costco part number which will take no more then two days.

Mitchelin only makes the 325 and a 305 30/20 tire, and the 305 needs a 10.5 wheel and I think a 305 up front may cause under steer, the only other Mitchelin choices would be 35/20 tire, not sure how a 30/20 rear would work with a 35/20 front tire, but then I'm not a tire expert.

So what front tire would work with the Mitchelin 325 30 20 rear?

Rear wheels are 11.75 they said the 325 30 20 will fit.

Front wheels are 10.0

I have 275/35 on the front with the 325 rears in the Dunlops. I am not sure if Michelin makes a matching 275/35 to the 325/30?

I'm 10" and 12".

R

I have 275/35 on the front with the 325 rears in the Dunlops. I am not sure if Michelin makes a matching 275/35 to the 325/30?

I'm 10" and 12".

R

No they do not that is why I was asking. In sport cut 2, they only make a 325 and a 305 in the 30 size series tire.

Part numbers

Tire Size, Load Index & Speed Rating

275/35ZR19/XL 100 (Y)

305/30ZR20/XL 103 (Y)

325/30ZR20/XL 106 (Y)

245/35ZR20 91 (Y)

265/35ZR20 95 (Y)

325/30ZR21 104 (Y)

From the Mitchelin.com web site these are the sizes they make

The 265 is a good size not doubt, will the 35 'size' on front will work with the 30 'size" on back? The size difference will not cause an issue?

The 265 is a good size not doubt, will the 35 'size' on front will work with the 30 'size" on back? The size difference will not cause an issue?

My 275/35 fronts are very close to my 325/30 rears in overall diameter, in reality I believe they spec'ed the same @ 27.7" overall diameter . The 265/35 fronts should be shorter than the 275/35's and work well with the 325/30.

My only concern would be what I see in post #544 above on this page, the 325/30 Michelins are shorter overall diameter in compared to the 325/30 Dunlops, as long as the 265/35 Michelins are equally shorter (and they probably are), then they will work great with a 265/35-325/30 tire combo.

R

Took a trip got specs for 10" front 265 35 20 and 12" rear wheel with a 325 30 20: U correct will work.2014-02-22 15.36.pp.jpg

• 1 month later...

Another alternative could be:

Michelin SS (rated much better in wear and mileage factors) and about $700 cheaper for the set through Tire Rack:

Front: Rear:

Size: 265/30/20 Size: 325/25/20

Height: 26.3 Height 26.3

Price: $341 Price: $435

OR

Size: 275/30/20

Height: 26.5

Price: $311

Maybe too short for some but may help with tire rub using Alcoa's on lowered cars?

• 8 months later...

I will be attempting the 20x10 front and 20x12 rear in the upcoming weeks. I have sent my front wheels out to be widened to 12's. I always wanted to put a wider tire on the rear but after finding a pair of 335/30 PS2's on craigslist for $250ea brand new was just the motivation I needed. I have ordered a set of Pilot SS 275/35 for the front. I will be removing the bump stop bracket and relocating the bump stop under the frame with relocation brackets. I would like to keep the car as low as possible after this mod. Currently the front of the car sits at 26-7/16" with a 255/35 Proxes 4 on the 9" Alcoa, the rear sits 27-1/4" on a 295/30 Proxes 4 mounted on the 10" Alcoa. For some reason the car seems to be about an inch lower than other cars with the same eibach pro kit springs. The rest of the suspension consists or Koni shocks, Shelby billet lower control arms, BMR drop brackets middle hole, BMR upper control arm and mount, BMR panhard bar and brace. BMR rear swaybar. Front has BMR K-member, A-Arms, BMR swaybar, K-member brace and rad support. The car is an 08 convertible GT500, the only items that could have added any additional weight would be the HD Shelby radiator, heat exchanger and 3.6 Kenne Bell. I will get some photos up as soon as I get the wheels back in a week or so. Hoping I don't have to raise the car, if so what springs should work Ford Racing springs?

Getting ready to replace my nittos, now that the Mitchelin 325 30 20 Sport Cup 2 have been out for a while I have a question.

Is anyone running the Mitchelin 325 30 20 Sport Cup 2 tire on a lowered GT500 - GT500 SS with 11.75 wheel, if so have you have any issues/ tire rubbing issues.

Thanks

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I have got the wheels back from widening and the tires are mounted and just installed them on the car yesterday. Havent driven the car or moved it yet. I do need to disconnect rear swaybar endlinks and adjust it center between the tires, it is currently 1" off center to the left and rubbing the tire. From just installing the new tires the car is sitting 3/4" higher all around but i'm sure it will settle at leat 1/4" after driving some.

Yes, I would center the rear end. Also make sure you do not have any damage, bent twisted or broken brackets or parts.

Then test drive a few time being more aggressive each time check your car to make sure it remained centered. If it shifts there may be a problem you are not seeing, or might want to beef it up so it does not move anymore.

Getting ready to replace my nittos, now that the Mitchelin 325 30 20 Sport Cup 2 have been out for a while I have a question.

Is anyone running the Mitchelin 325 30 20 Sport Cup 2 tire on a lowered GT500 - GT500 SS with 11.75 wheel, if so have you have any issues/ tire rubbing issues.

Thanks

Jim

I have zero rubbing issues with my 325 MSCup 2 on my coilover lowered Gt500

That is good news, my car is low-lowered, I recently switched to coil overs as well... thxs Jim

• 4 months later...

Is this correct :

My GT500 2013 vert is lowered (Steeda) and I have a complete set of 4 x 9" Alcoa 50th

For front I have 255/35/20 with Michelin like recommanded : fit perfect

For rear I will the 325/30/20 but I see many answers for this tire size : from 11.375" or 11.5" or 11.75" to 12" !!!

I'm confused with these differents choices, I will this tire size but also without touch my car (except remove Dust boot if needed)

What is the maximum size I can widened my Alco 9" for the rear without problem (inner or outer) ?

Thank's in advance for help

Is this correct :

My GT500 2013 vert is lowered (Steeda) and I have a complete set of 4 x 9" Alcoa 50th

For front I have 255/35/20 with Michelin like recommanded : fit perfect

For rear I will the 325/30/20 but I see many answers for this tire size : from 11.375" or 11.5" or 11.75" to 12" !!!

I'm confused with these differents choices, I will this tire size but also without touch my car (except remove Dust boot if needed)

What is the maximum size I can widened my Alco 9" for the rear without problem (inner or outer) ?

Thank's in advance for help

Your 2013 should have a plastic inner fender shield which is not present on earlier cars, so that will have to be removed or modified first of all to fit the wider tires/wheels on the rear.

The 325's can fit nicely on 11.5", 11.75" and 12", I am not familiar with the fit on 11.375".

As the wheels get wider, the side wall flattens out, when the wheels are narrower, the side wall bulges more. The trick is to get the side wall fairly flat, because if you start to bulge to much, the tire sticks out beyond the fender lip. Some people like the "sticking out look", it is not for me.

As far as how wide a 9" can go?..............as wide as the wheel company can widen it. My 9" are now 12", any wider and it will not fit my 2008.

R

Thank's Robert for your kick answer

You say 2013 is different, OK, if I right understand, for the 325/30 fit my rear (side wall fairly flat), wich size of wide for my Alcoa are the best (always if possible without modify my car except the plastic you mentionned)

(sorry for my english, I speak french !!!)

Thank's Robert for your kick answer

You say 2013 is different, OK, if I right understand, for the 325/30 fit my rear (side wall fairly flat), wich size of wide for my Alcoa are the best (always if possible without modify my car except the plastic you mentionned)

(sorry for my english, I speak french !!!)

If I were to do mine again, I would probably go to 11.5" or 11.75" with my 325/30 Dunlops. My 12" clear everything, but I could have gone to 11.75" or possibly even 11.5" and everything would still fit (and look) right. <<<This will also depend upon the brand of 325/30, MPSS makes this size from what I have heard, but I am only familiar with the Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's. If they are both sized the same by their manufacturers everything should be equal, if the MPSS run on the wide side, then all bets are off as to how they would fit with what width Alcoa.

If you don't want to modify anything else on your car and use these wider Alcoa's, there will be a different way that the car will need to be jacked up in the air when the rear tires need to be removed........<<Just an FYI. I think it is covered earlier in this forum thread, it is related to the bumpstop bracket.

R

Archived