TEAM SHELBY FORUM

bigger rear tires

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of great info in here. Have 305-35-20s now and get some rub on left at full compression racing. Going to adjust suspension and go with 335-30-20 ps2 when they come off back order from all you guys buying them up, lol.

I am not positive, but I believe that the PS2's may be on backorder forever. I think that there is a new version of Michelin that is replacing the aging PS2 tire, but last I heard there is nothing listed in the 335/30/20 size yet.

What width rim?

R

I have some brand new front and rear ps2 for sale if anybody is interested ....... will sell and ship very reasonable .... make me an offer .... pictures available if you want to email me ... received these as test tires from michelin and never installed

email pgoulden2@ns.sympatico.ca

I have some brand new front and rear ps2 for sale if anybody is interested ....... will sell and ship very reasonable .... make me an offer .... pictures available if you want to email me ... received these as test tires from michelin and never installed

email pgoulden2@ns.sympatico.ca

email sent

• 2 months later...

Hi Robert and Merry Christmas. I am planning on moving my 10 inch SS rims mounted with 275/35/20 to the front. I am going to have the 9 inch rims widened to 12 inches. I am pretty sure this is what you did. I just wanted to double check and make sure this is a good way to go and everything is working out.

Thanks, Woody.

Hi Robert and Merry Christmas. I am planning on moving my 10 inch SS rims mounted with 275/35/20 to the front. I am going to have the 9 inch rims widened to 12 inches. I am pretty sure this is what you did. I just wanted to double check and make sure this is a good way to go and everything is working out.

Thanks, Woody.

Yes Woody, that is what I did. I have driven the car a few hundred miles with no issues. As I have mentioned to others, these two sizes have worked for me, but I have seen other people have problems with 11.75's.

All I can say is that the 10's up front and 12's out back combo works for me...............

019.jpg

This is with the expensive Dunlop Sport Maxx GT's.^^^^^^^^^^^^

R

Yes, Eric is the only guy I know that will widen them. Plus he is highly recommended by other Team Shelby members. I talked to him on Tuesday and he said go ahead and send them out to him.

Cool!!

I am interested in seeing this set-up on your car!

R

• 2 months later...

I will try to get my girl up on my lift today and get some pics. I really love my 335's and as some experienced, 335's are not for everyone. It has definitely been a trial and error process, driving/testing, up on the lift, inspect multiple times. But, holy cow, 335's on a mustang, they are fricken HUGE!

ever get those pics? :)

• 4 months later...

I'd like to say thanks for all the info that's packed into this thread. I ended up using similar dimensions from what many of you guys do with widened Alcoa wheels and had some Rotiforms machined into 20x10 and 20x12s. I may need a 3mm spacer in the back (since I don't have the Baer big brake kit). These won't be banging into rumble strips on road courses, so there shouldn't be any issue. Tires being mounted are Toyo R888 in 285 and 315s, with eventual graduation to Michelin PSS 285 or 275s up front with the 335s out back. I wish I could say I'm putting down the same power as all of you are, but I drive just a measly 2011 mustang gt.

Anyways, I thought you guys would be interested in pictures of what the wheels look like (similar to 2013 GT500 PP wheels). They haven't been painted yet in these pictures. I hope to have them mounted by this weekend, if not next week.

IMG_8447.jpg

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_8452.jpg

I'd like to say thanks for all the info that's packed into this thread. I ended up using similar dimensions from what many of you guys do with widened Alcoa wheels and had some Rotiforms machined into 20x10 and 20x12s. I may need a 3mm spacer in the back (since I don't have the Baer big brake kit). These won't be banging into rumble strips on road courses, so there shouldn't be any issue. Tires being mounted are Toyo R888 in 285 and 315s, with eventual graduation to Michelin PSS 285 or 275s up front with the 335s out back. I wish I could say I'm putting down the same power as all of you are, but I drive just a measly 2011 mustang gt.

Anyways, I thought you guys would be interested in pictures of what the wheels look like (similar to 2013 GT500 PP wheels). They haven't been painted yet in these pictures. I hope to have them mounted by this weekend, if not next week.

IMG_8447.jpg

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_8452.jpg

Very Nice!! I woudn't mind having those on my Super Snake!!

Before you spend any more money on paint/powder coat etc., I would do a test fit with tires front and rear. There is a 2011 GT500 owner on here, I believe it is "Jacks1071" <<maybe, that went with 11.75 or 12" on the rear and could not get a fit with no contact, even with a narrower 315/30 tire, if I remember correctly. Not all of these cars over the years have the same inner fender well clearance, some are closer, some are wider.

Nothing the matter with a 2011 GT!

R

I understand that too.............sometimes that is what it takes.

R

There's less of the "limited edition" value when you drive a regular GT. I would understand not wanting to do anything significant or irreversible to a supersnake.

There's less of the "limited edition" value when you drive a regular GT. I would understand not wanting to do anything significant or irreversible to a supersnake.

He was asking about mini tubs when he ran into his contact issues..........

R

I wouldn't worry about it, you will never widen you wheels anyway .... ha. lol :hysterical:

I will try to get my girl up on my lift today and get some pics. I really love my 335's and as some experienced, 335's are not for everyone. It has definitely been a trial and error process, driving/testing, up on the lift, inspect multiple times. But, holy cow, 335's on a mustang, they are fricken HUGE!

1. beefing up the suspension is a must and has been critical

2. centering the panhard .... removing the panhard, installing the watts link. very happy now

3. driving/testing, remove tires and inspect, repaint inner fender walls.

4. 1/8" spacers are required.

5. all lowered cars should/must trim the bump stop top rubber piece, cuts very easy with a sharp razor blade.

I ordered zombeast's relocation brackets, this should really help center the bump stop on what is left of the modified bracket and perform better. http://www.teamshelb...ation-brackets/

I just installed the JLT carbon fiber mud flaps, one inch wider than stock, and wow, super nice and really compliment the 335's.

I got around to doing it finally and they have been inistalled since may:) went with the toyo r888 315 and with 730 to the rear wheels, I have second gear but if I shift hard from first to second, it lights them up

• 2 weeks later...

He was asking about mini tubs when he ran into his contact issues..........

R

I've put it in the "too hard" basket for the moment. I am considering trying to get my 11.75" wheels cut down, I'm glad I bought a spare set and didn't do this to my origionals.

In the meantime I am making lots of smoke with the standard tyres and might consider a sticky tyre as the solution when I am up for rear tyres.

I really wanted to run the 335's but they are physically too big for a 2011 vehicle although they seem to fit on the older cars.

• 1 month later...

for reference, here's what the 20x12" rotiforms look like mounted up in the back (centercaps are still en route). no spacers needed (61mm offset, oem rear discs and calipers), just re-centering of the panhard bar and some minor trimming of the fender liner. currently, I'm using 315/30/20 toyo r888s. 335s will need spacers and a watts link to maximize every mm of room in the wheel well, but i think it's possible... we'll see.

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

experiment%25202.jpg

for reference, here's what the 20x12" rotiforms look like mounted up in the back (centercaps are still en route). no spacers needed (61mm offset, oem rear discs and calipers), just re-centering of the panhard bar and some minor trimming of the fender liner. currently, I'm using 315/30/20 toyo r888s. 335s will need spacers and a watts link to maximize every mm of room in the wheel well, but i think it's possible... we'll see.

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

experiment%25202.jpg

What size tire do you have on the front? 285/35 ZR20 on a 10" rim? What did you do to get them to fit if they are 285s?

experiment%25202.jpg

Those are extremely nice rims & tires!!!

The offset for the rears is 61mm, correct?

What is the offset for the front wheels?

• 1 month later...

Archived