TEAM SHELBY FORUM

bigger rear tires

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up date on Rear-end shifting to the left, issue.

Been driving the car on the streets with my killifornia street tune with no issues, the rear-end stayed in place under normal driving.

Got access to closed off privet property yesterday,

So I gave the car a test. Loaed up the 49 state legal gas tune of 766wrhp. Drained killifornia 91 h20 ocatane crap they call gas in this state, Dropped in the few remainging gals of real 49 state legal gas I had and let her rip.

Hard launching and the rearend held true to center. No shifting. happy%20feet.gif

Great news Jim.

I found this additional front swaybar mount brace by Steeda. Part # 555-5553

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-front-swaybar-mount-brace-for-ford-mustang.html

I am ordering Monday.

I have a one page PDF install instructions with 5 color pictures, PM me with email address and I will forward it to you.

Looks like the brace mounts to the K-member and the top bolt of the front swaybar mounting bracket.

Great news Jim.

I found this additional front swaybar mount brace by Steeda. Part # 555-5553

http://www.steeda.co...rd-mustang.html

I am ordering Monday.

I have a one page PDF install instructions with 5 color pictures, PM me with email address and I will forward it to you.

Looks like the brace mounts to the K-member and the top bolt of the front swaybar mounting bracket.

Thanks I was fearing Id need to do some major repairs but got lucky.

That brace, does it work with the a adjustable front end link?

Thanks I was fearing Id need to do some major repairs but got lucky.

That brace, does it work with the a adjustable front end link?

I don't think it plays a factor.

Two Mounting points:

K-member bolt and upper bolt on the swaybar mounting bracket.

• 2 weeks later...

agree with Lee. I have 11.75" rim and toyo 315/30. is nearly exact stock height and looks stock from side. I did have to trim bumpstop bracket and remove the dust boot from the shock. Toyos have an aggressive tread and look daunting from the back. Have pretty good bite.

Ron

Ron, What are you running on the fronts? All I see on line is the 285's and 315's. The 285's are too wide for the 9" front rims.

Thnx

BJ

Ron, What are you running on the fronts? All I see on line is the 285's and 315's. The 285's are too wide for the 9" front rims.

Thnx

BJ

The matching 285's may fit the 10" Alcoa's, for the front................

If I were a gambling man, I would bet that they would without CC plates, with CC plates even better.

R

I have the Nitto Invo on the 20" x 9" fronts.

http://nittotire.com/index.html#index.tire.invo

275/35, no bulging, side wall looks great, straight up & down.

The tire performs great, my front end sticks in the big clover leaf freeway interchange.

I installed the billet Shelby/Fays2 watts link Friday.

Initial impression: Looks awesome and a huge improvement vs panhard and steel panhard support brace.

I will have my girl back up on the lift this week to inspect the 335's and take some pics of the suspension upgrades.

I will post pics soon.

So far, I am very pleased.

My goal & expectations:

At cruising speed, approx 85 mph: soft in the seat yet firm with NO bouncing. In the big clover leaf freeway interchange ramps there is NO MORE lane hopping. Steering is very direct & distinctive, on rails.

Launching: She now squats & grips.

http://nittotire.com/index.html#index.tire.invo

The tire performs great, my front end sticks in the big clover leaf freeway interchange.

Initial impression: Looks awesome and a huge improvement vs panhard and steel panhard support brace.

I will have my girl back up on the lift this week to inspect the 335's and take some pics of the suspension upgrades.

I will post pics soon.

My goal & expectations:

At cruising speed, approx 85 mph: soft in the seat yet firm with NO bouncing. In the big clover leaf freeway interchange ramps there is NO MORE lane hopping. Steering is very direct & distinctive, on rails.

I ordered a billet Fays from SPP this past week.

For those who want this set up, the billet Fays is currently on sale for approx. $200 off the normal price.........................

R

The matching 285's may fit the 10" Alcoa's, for the front................

If I were a gambling man, I would bet that they would without CC plates, with CC plates even better.

R

Robert, Thnx for the reply. I only have my 9 inch fronts and don't plan to widen them. I will have to go with a different tire. I really wanted the Toyo 315's as I think they are the perfect width. I have rub marks on both sides of my rear wheel wells with the 305's. They rub from time to time, but not constantly. So I think going to 335's is too much, although Lee has been successful with them. It appears that everybodies setup yeilds different results. I need tires pretty bad so I gotta make a decision in the next couple of days.

btw: I ordered the GRIGGS ST package for the car from Van at Revan Racing, so I'll have a Watts Link too.

Take Care

BJ

Robert, Thnx for the reply. I only have my 9 inch fronts and don't plan to widen them. I will have to go with a different tire. I really wanted the Toyo 315's as I think they are the perfect width. I have rub marks on both sides of my rear wheel wells with the 305's. They rub from time to time, but not constantly. So I think going to 335's is too much, although Lee has been successful with them. It appears that everybodies setup yeilds different results. I need tires pretty bad so I gotta make a decision in the next couple of days.

btw: I ordered the GRIGGS ST package for the car from Van at Revan Racing, so I'll have a Watts Link too.

Take Care

BJ

BJ - I was hoping that you would be the one who would verify that the 285 Toyo which matches the 315 Toyo could in fact be used on the front....................Oh well..... :peelout:

R

I rotated my tires for a test.

My car has the FRPP suspension set up, which lowers the car.

I put my 20x10 wheels with 275x35x20 tires on front and the 20x9 with the 255x35x20 on back Drove around like that for a few weeks of normal street driving and some spirited driving.

Slightly noticeable difference when the car is parked with wheels straight.

Very noticeable when parked with the wheels turned.

Front looked nice & looked beefy defiantly lacking some rubber up front tight fit, good look

On the other hand the back, well it looked somewhat lacking.:hysterical:

Results.

No cornering issues, no rubbing, no handling issues. But it did fill up the wheel wells, any larger and I'd most likely have cornering issues and rubbing

I just learned that Stockton Wheel works widens wheels, Is anyone in NorCa familiar with them, have any feed back on them?

http://nittotire.com...index.tire.invo

I will post pics soon.

My goal & expectations:

Find a save spot where you can turn the wheel and hold it hard right then hard left, hold it as you pick up speed and have someone take a video. Then watch it, you will be very impressed at the lack of body roll.

You could isolate a frame and not even know the car was in a hard turn at faster then normal speeds if you couldn't see the front wheels.

I rotated my tires for a test.

My car has the FRPP suspension set up, which lowers the car.

I put my 20x10 wheels with 275x35x20 tires on front and the 20x9 with the 255x35x20 on back Drove around like that for a few weeks of normal street driving and some spirited driving.

Slightly noticeable difference when the car is parked with wheels straight.

Very noticeable when parked with the wheels turned.

Front looked nice & looked beefy defiantly lacking some rubber up front tight fit, good look

On the other hand the back, well it looked somewhat lacking.:hysterical:

Results.

No cornering issues, no rubbing, no handling issues. But it did fill up the wheel wells, any larger and I'd most likely have cornering issues and rubbing

I just learned that Stockton Wheel works widens wheels, Is anyone in NorCa familiar with them, have any feed back on them?

I took this picture last night with the 275/35 Dunlop - 10" Alcoa's on the front. I did go to the end of my cul-de-sac and made multiple full turn left and right rotations, no contact. I noticed that the 275/35 Dunlop's fill out the 10" Alcoa more than the 275/35 Pirelli's.

031.jpg

255/35's on the rear?? What a roller skate!!

R

I took this picture last night with the 275/35 Dunlop - 10" Alcoa's on the front. I did go to the end of my cul-de-sac and made multiple full turn left and right rotations, no contact. I noticed that the 275/35 Dunlop's fill out the 10" Alcoa more than the 275/35 Pirelli's.

031.jpg

255/35's on the rear?? What a roller skate!!

R

My 275x35x20 on the 20x10 wheels looked the same at an angle, as seen from a standing position.

It seem the 20x10 with 275x35x20 will fit up front no issues.....

Roller skate, now thats funny :hysterical:

My 275x35x20 on the 20x10 wheels looked the same at an angle, as seen from a standing position.

It seem the 20x10 with 275x35x20 will fit up front no issues.....

Roller skate, now thats funny :hysterical:

Yes, the use of the original 10" rear Alcoa's on the front, adds a whole new option for a "complete" tire/wheel upgrade on these cars.

R

Snake on Skates

Still :hysterical:

Snake on Skates

Still :hysterical:

True it does, but does but looks like the largeest tire is a 275.

True it does, but does but looks like the largeest tire is a 275.

It depends if the 285 runs smaller or larger in size. It is true that the 275/35 is tight, but a 275/35 Dunlop Sport Maxx runs wider than a 275/35 Pirelli P Zero, I have compared them side-by-side. So, if a 285 Toyo runs on the narrow side of the specrtum, it "could" fit. <<All of this is a discussion without the use of caster camber plates. If caster camber plates were installed, I think that there would be no problem using a 285 Toyo on the front with 10" Alcoa to match a 315 Toyo on the rear.

I can't even imagine those 255/35's on the rear of your car, especially when they are 27.2" tall and the 275/35's that you moved to the front are a taller 27.7, and then the narrower width of the 255's.............roller skate!!

R

It depends if the 285 runs smaller or larger in size. It is true that the 275/35 is tight, but a 275/35 Dunlop Sport Maxx runs wider than a 275/35 Pirelli P Zero, I have compared them side-by-side. So, if a 285 Toyo runs on the narrow side of the specrtum, it "could" fit. <<All of this is a discussion without the use of caster camber plates. If caster camber plates were installed, I think that there would be no problem using a 285 Toyo on the front with 10" Alcoa to match a 315 Toyo on the rear.

I can't even imagine those 255/35's on the rear of your car, especially when they are 27.2" tall and the 275/35's that you moved to the front are a taller 27.7, and then the narrower width of the 255's.............roller skate!!

R

Ok, good point, I have CC plates and if a 285 were as you say; it may fit. The 275 is tight on my car.

It did look funny, at least to me and I am sure anyone who is in the know, but for most folks they would not even notice.

But that was a one time only test.

I am still undecided if I will run the Nitto nto5 or the Toyo's, I will start with nitto because I have a set of new nto5's sitting in the garage, but I am hearing a lot of good about the Toyo's, and if I am not happy with the nitto the next set will be Toyos.

Ok, good point, I have CC plates and if a 285 were as you say; it may fit. The 275 is tight on my car.

It did look funny, at least to me and I am sure anyone who is in the know, but for most folks they would not even notice.

But that was a one time only test.

I am still undecided if I will run the Nitto nto5 or the Toyo's, I will start with nitto because I have a set of new nto5's sitting in the garage, but I am hearing a lot of good about the Toyo's, and if I am not happy with the nitto the next set will be Toyos.

The 285's should be a nice fit on the 10" Alcoa for the front. 285's were factory installed on the OEM/narrower 9.5" wheels. If the struts were to be pulled in just slightly with CC's, I think the 285's would be the perfect front tire on the 10" Alcoa with a 315 and 11.75-12" Alcoa out back. <<<If a person were to choose R888's.

Let me/us know if/when you check this fit for the Toyo R888. I would also like to know this and keep it in mind for future tire purchases.

R

Just wondering if they guys running the 315 dr if they are getting any more traction in first then the guys running the 335 or 325. Even though the toyo looks real aggressive its still a dr and getting cought in the rain is going to be scary,especially in the front.

I was trying to figure out the cost of some ps2, roughly around 600ea for the rears. if you get the same amount of traction out of them as the dr, its a little pricier from the start but will last a lot longer and for the sudden chance of rain

Just wondering if they guys running the 315 dr if they are getting any more traction in first then the guys running the 335 or 325. Even though the toyo looks real aggressive its still a dr and getting cought in the rain is going to be scary,especially in the front.

I was trying to figure out the cost of some ps2, roughly around 600ea for the rears. if you get the same amount of traction out of them as the dr, its a little pricier from the start but will last a lot longer and for the sudden chance of rain

I agree with that also, the tread design of the R888 is not going to be a good wet weather tire. <<This will also apply to the rear, great in the dry, not so great in the wet.

R

I wouldn't worry about it, you will never widen you wheels anyway .... ha. lol hysterical.gif

I will try to get my girl up on my lift today and get some pics. I really love my 335's and as some experienced, 335's are not for everyone. It has definitely been a trial and error process, driving/testing, up on the lift, inspect multiple times. But, holy cow, 335's on a mustang, they are fricken HUGE!

1. beefing up the suspension is a must and has been critical

2. centering the panhard .... removing the panhard, installing the watts link. very happy now

3. driving/testing, remove tires and inspect, repaint inner fender walls.

4. 1/8" spacers are required.

5. all lowered cars should/must trim the bump stop top rubber piece, cuts very easy with a sharp razor blade.

I ordered zombeast's relocation brackets, this should really help center the bump stop on what is left of the modified bracket and perform better. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/66683-made-some-rear-bumpstop-relocation-brackets/

I just installed the JLT carbon fiber mud flaps, one inch wider than stock, and wow, super nice and really compliment the 335's.

Don't know about the 325 or 335 tires.

But I darm sure know about the Nitto NTO5 315 tires on the rear.

I put them on my 20x10 wheels and had to put the stock GT500 springs back on for clearance.

Here is the results.

With the 275 P-Zero rear tires, I could down shift on the freeway into 4th gear from 5 or 6th, the tire would spin and I could hammer it then shift back up for that little extra gettie-up-and-go.

With the 315 on the back I only tried it once because I got instant grab jolting the car and instantly hitting the rev limiter.

HUGH improvement in traction, requiring a modification in driving style.

PROBLEM was, even though I liked the look of the raised rear-end that the stock springs provided, they defeat the reason for lowering the car and most importantly, I could feel the side wall flex at freeway speeds going around mild turns and did not like the feel.

So I removed them, and will widen my wheel to reduce the side wall height and eliminate the need to run the stock GT500 springs.

I also ordered zombeast's relocation brackets, I am hoping if I don't go any wider then 11.75, install the relocation brackets and stay with a 315 tire I will not need to do any cutting or other modifcation.

I ordered zombeast's relocation brackets, this should really help center the bump stop on what is left of the modified bracket and perform better. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/66683-made-some-rear-bumpstop-relocation-brackets/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Me too.

It looks like the bracket can be removed cleanly once the bumpstop itself is relocated.

bs2.jpg

R

The first mod to the GT will be bigger tires on the rear. Being new to the Shelby world I need some help planning out exactly what to do. I've been looking for wheels and tires and not really sure what to settle on. 315x30x20???? NT05s on 10" Foose Legends. Then match the front with 8.5x20 and stock tires. Do I need to do anything to the rear end to accept the larger tires.

What year is your mustang?

All you answers are within the 23 pages of this thread. You will just need to read and come to your own conclusion.

fronts: if you are going with 20" wheels, width can be from 9" to 10" depending on the offset and your brake setup. Tires size 255 to 275.

Archived