TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dyno results from some custom parts

Not sure how many of you followed the work I did to my Shelby GT over the winter. A quick refresher, the car stock made about 240 whp on our dyno here, which is an AWD Mustang Dyno with a factory calibration in it. I added the Whipple 550 HO kit to the car and it dyno'd 384 ft lbs and 381 whp. At that level I was able to run a 12.003 at 120.66 mph in the 1/4 mile. 60' times weren't that great and I didn't power shift the car. I sure wanted an 11 but was happy with the performance and real happy with the MPH based on Whipple's advertisements of 118 mph trap speeds.

I had also put the GT500 rotors on the car, which are heavy as hell. Over the winter I had some aluminum hat lightweight rotors made for the car to replace the stock GT500 rotors I was using and had the same lightweight aluminum hat rear rotors built. Real nice weight savings.

I was sick of looking at the rusted stock manifolds and knew from past experiences I didn't want to deal with a header of any type to leak and blow gaskets. Based on the power gains we find porting some other stock manifolds on turbo charged applications we build (4 cylinders) I bought a set of used stock manifolds, ported them and then sent them out for ceramic coating. While I was at it I wanted to get a little more sound out of the car, the stock exhaust was too quiet. After quite a bit of searching I could not find an offroad pipe to use with the Ford Racing Xpipe our cars come with. I then built those, 304 mandrel bent 2.5" stainless steel and put those on.

Today I had the chance to get the car back on the dyno and the results were very good.

By dropping the back pressure in the exhuast the boost did drop a bit. As you will see on the dyno graph the average boost across the RPM dropped by a 1/2 a pound. That is the red solid and dotted line at the bottom of the sheet.

The torque went from 384 to 419 ft lbs, which is a 35 ft lb gain and the horsepower went up from 381 to 401 which is a 20 whp gain. The best thing is the gains are from 2500 to 5800+ rpm and does this even with the slight decrease in boost pressure.

To keep the check engine lights off from eliminating the cats I've used a spacer like we use on other cars and so far, so good.

Here's the before and after dyno sheet:

Stang413.jpg

I'd guess the car will dip into the 11's easily now and with the increase in power the MPH should go up to 122-123. I'll be running it once the tracks open. With the reduction in the rotor weight off the car it may even pick up more.

Thanks for reading.

I have a bit of a strange question that i have yet to get an answer to. I absolutely love the whine of the 03/04 Cobra S/Cs. I am planning on getting a 2010 Gt500 but they have a resonator between the air filter and engine throttle body to reduce unwanted noise, and, indeed, the supercharger is less noisy, which i just hate. Is there a way to remove the resonator to increase the whine? or any other way to increase the whine with out adding a bigger S/C? E-mail me if you know of anything. - Challenger69@ymail.com

Not sure how many of you followed the work I did to my Shelby GT over the winter. A quick refresher, the car stock made about 240 whp on our dyno here, which is an AWD Mustang Dyno with a factory calibration in it. I added the Whipple 550 HO kit to the car and it dyno'd 384 ft lbs and 381 whp. At that level I was able to run a 12.003 at 120.66 mph in the 1/4 mile. 60' times weren't that great and I didn't power shift the car. I sure wanted an 11 but was happy with the performance and real happy with the MPH based on Whipple's advertisements of 118 mph trap speeds.

I had also put the GT500 rotors on the car, which are heavy as hell. Over the winter I had some aluminum hat lightweight rotors made for the car to replace the stock GT500 rotors I was using and had the same lightweight aluminum hat rear rotors built. Real nice weight savings.

I was sick of looking at the rusted stock manifolds and knew from past experiences I didn't want to deal with a header of any type to leak and blow gaskets. Based on the power gains we find porting some other stock manifolds on turbo charged applications we build (4 cylinders) I bought a set of used stock manifolds, ported them and then sent them out for ceramic coating. While I was at it I wanted to get a little more sound out of the car, the stock exhaust was too quiet. After quite a bit of searching I could not find an offroad pipe to use with the Ford Racing Xpipe our cars come with. I then built those, 304 mandrel bent 2.5" stainless steel and put those on.

Today I had the chance to get the car back on the dyno and the results were very good.

By dropping the back pressure in the exhuast the boost did drop a bit. As you will see on the dyno graph the average boost across the RPM dropped by a 1/2 a pound. That is the red solid and dotted line at the bottom of the sheet.

The torque went from 384 to 419 ft lbs, which is a 35 ft lb gain and the horsepower went up from 381 to 401 which is a 20 whp gain. The best thing is the gains are from 2500 to 5800+ rpm and does this even with the slight decrease in boost pressure.

To keep the check engine lights off from eliminating the cats I've used a spacer like we use on other cars and so far, so good.

Stang413.jpg

I'd guess the car will dip into the 11's easily now and with the increase in power the MPH should go up to 122-123. I'll be running it once the tracks open. With the reduction in the rotor weight off the car it may even pick up more.

Thanks for reading.

Nice work !!! Its nice to be handy you should try and get some side work from other GT 500 out there.

• 4 months later...

Stang413.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Nice work and great #'s

Archived