TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5 mill for CS Shelby

GT500KR

don't know if its true or not but I just read Carrol Shelbys Shelby just slod for 5 million

Yes, It's true..... Bought by actor Ron Pratt.

He also bought the Shelby GT for 600,000. The bidding was at 150,000 and he raised

it himself because he wanted to match last years sale of the Shelby Gt 500 for 600,000.

JUDY

Yes he bought #1 GT500 and #3 Ford GT at Palm Beach. The lowest number GT available to the public.

EDIT:

The Shelby GT bidding also won him the right to purchase #2 Shelby GT (White) at sticker. Thank goodness we have put an end to ADMs.

Someone said he is an actor. is that true????

Judy

Someone said he is an actor. is that true????

Judy

....no, I googled him last week when I heard about his other purchases. I believe he is in construction or development in Arizona......." Pratte Development Company, Inc., one of the nation's largest wood framing and concrete foundation companies with extensive operations in Arizona and Nevada"

....no, I googled him last week when I heard about his other purchases. I believe he is in construction or development in Arizona......." Pratte Development Company, Inc., one of the nation's largest wood framing and concrete foundation companies with extensive operations in Arizona and Nevada"

I knew it! I'm in the wrong business! :banghead:

He also bought the Shelby GT for 600,000. The bidding was at 150,000 and he raised

it himself because he wanted to match last years sale of the Shelby Gt 500 for 600,000.

JUDY

I wounder what possible logic he used to make a decision like paying $600,000 for the Shelby GT because he paid that for a GT500? This guy is not helping the working stiff that has been saving and scraping to afford a Shelby GT. Here come higher ADM's.

He could always make a donation to any charity, without contributing to pricing the average person out from this American pastime of Clasic and Exotic cars enjoyment. This is my opininion and I am not trying to slam Mr. Pratt, I just hate seeing this trend of investors spending crazy money on the average working person's cars, helping to price me out of the park. I know he has a right to spend his money any way he feels like.

Blayne

......I think what is more interesting and relevant to pricing is that the price shot up to $150,000 right away in real bidding. Mr Pratte made a knock out blow for his collection and tax deduction. However, the real value was probably going to be around $200,000. Even at that the dealers would be salivating.

I wounder what possible logic he used to make a decision like paying $600,000 for the Shelby GT because he paid that for a GT500? This guy is not helping the working stiff that has been saving and scraping to afford a Shelby GT. Here come higher ADM's.

He could always make a donation to any charity, without contributing to pricing the average person out from this American pastime of Clasic and Exotic cars enjoyment. This is my opininion and I am not trying to slam Mr. Pratt, I just hate seeing this trend of investors spending crazy money on the average working person's cars, helping to price me out of the park. I know he has a right to spend his money any way he feels like.

Blayne

Actually its a very smart move on his part because every dollar of his $600,000 donation goes to Carroll's charity. That means that Ron gets Shelby GT 001 for free, a price locked deal to buy Shelby GT 002 for *M.S.R.P., and gets another $600,000 tax break for his 2007 tax filings. So while I agree that paying $600,000 for the car causes the national dealer network to froth at the mouth and jack the ADM up to the stars and screw the common buyer in the process, as far as Ron's logic is concerned, his actions are quite logical. Given the ability, I believe that every one of us here would have done the same.

Clearly Ron Pratte is a Shelby fanatic that is truly a force to be reckoned with. In one year he has single handly managed to shake up the value of all things Shelby, and like it or not, you have to respect a guy that can do something like that.

* M.S.R.P. is Bull :fan: it because Ford will sell #002 to him at dealer cost which is thousands below M.S.R.P.

Blayne

To him its all a tax writeoff. Anything above sticker price he can deduct as a donation to charity. So acutally he just paid MSRP and gave the rest to the Shelby Childrens Foundation. Same as if you sent in you visor or dash for signature the 200 bucks can be written off on your taxes.

The Barrett Jackson Auction is something like Oscar night, the Academy awards. A BBC event where most of these guy's play the part. They set aside some play money, probably hard earned cash in order to participate in this once a year shopping event. Most seem to get off knowing their pug is seen on national TV. Multi millionaire's and billionaire's. Do I envy them ? I would say I do to some degree.

However I see a problem when Ron Platt drives the purchase price of the Shelby GT well beyond what the real market was at. I didn't actually see this part of the auction on TV but based what others are saying he wanted to match the price of his GT500 bid. By doing what he did, he just did a huge favor to all Ford dealers while back stabbing the Mustang and Shelby enthusiest, the average Joe. Shame

......Does Ron Pratte's bid really drive the market value. I don't think so.

The auction for the Shelby GT and the GT500 are not the benchmarks for the market as say an auction for a 68 GT500KR or Hemi Cuda is for those markets. The auction was for #1 and all the proceeds including the written check go to a charity. It is a tax write off and not indicative of the market. If his purchase prices led the market, the dealers would be pricing their GT500s and now Shelby GTs in the six figure area. Sure they would take off a little for the serial number but if that were the market the ADMS would be much higher than $20-30K for the GT500 and $5-10K for the Shelby GT.

The market is driven by us the consumers. If we don't pay the ADM they don't sell at ADM. However, there is a demand for these vehicle and "regular folks" with a little more money than other "regular folks" don't mind playing a little more. I was fortunate that the dealer I ordered my Shelby GT from has a relationship with my employer. Would I have paid an ADM to buy the Shelby GT; yes. I am a "regular folk" with a good secure career but even at sticker I am going to be paying monthly for my slice of the Shelby experience.

......Does Ron Pratte's bid really drive the market value. I don't think so.

The auction for the Shelby GT and the GT500 are not the benchmarks for the market as say an auction for a 68 GT500KR or Hemi Cuda is for those markets. The auction was for #1 and all the proceeds including the written check go to a charity. It is a tax write off and not indicative of the market. If his purchase prices led the market, the dealers would be pricing their GT500s and now Shelby GTs in the six figure area. Sure they would take off a little for the serial number but if that were the market the ADMS would be much higher than $20-30K for the GT500 and $5-10K for the Shelby GT.

The market is driven by us the consumers. If we don't pay the ADM they don't sell at ADM. However, there is a demand for these vehicle and "regular folks" with a little more money than other "regular folks" don't mind playing a little more. I was fortunate that the dealer I ordered my Shelby GT from has a relationship with my employer. Would I have paid an ADM to buy the Shelby GT; yes. I am a "regular folk" with a good secure career but even at sticker I am going to be paying monthly for my slice of the Shelby experience.

I have to disagree somewhat with this. I was on 6 listings at #1-4 position on each. All were MSRP and once the GT500 sold for 600K I started getting phone calls. The reasoning was that I was getting a "steal of a deal" on the GT500 at 20-40K ADM on the car because the first one had sold for the above amount. I was not happy with this outcome so I called an additional 29 dealerships and all referenced the Barret Jackson sale. Now to add to the problem were the people with an abundance of money started buying these cars at that price and together the two are what made the market price what it has been.

Luckily this time I have an honest dealership that has stood by their word, signed a contract with me and guaranteed me the car at the price I wanted. I feel for those that have not that MIGHT have an adjustment to their final pricing because of this auction. Good luck to those still out there looking for the car they want at the price they are willing to pay.

JUDY

Ron Pratts ridiculous showboating by paying 600,000 for a Shelby GT seems to be having an effect on all the N.Y. area dealers. I called about 10 dealers today and all were asking between 10,000 and 20,000 over MSRP.

Three weeks ago I was promised MSRP by a local dealer if I left a non refundable 5,000 deposit. Today when I called to say I had the money he said the price would be MSRP plus 10,000. Thanks Ron for making the dealers feel like they will get rich over night!

Does anyone know a dealer who will sell a new Shelby GT for msrp. :banghead:

• 3 weeks later...
I have to disagree somewhat with this. I was on 6 listings at #1-4 position on each. All were MSRP and once the GT500 sold for 600K I started getting phone calls. The reasoning was that I was getting a "steal of a deal" on the GT500 at 20-40K ADM on the car because the first one had sold for the above amount. I was not happy with this outcome so I called an additional 29 dealerships and all referenced the Barret Jackson sale. Now to add to the problem were the people with an abundance of money started buying these cars at that price and together the two are what made the market price what it has been.

Luckily this time I have an honest dealership that has stood by their word, signed a contract with me and guaranteed me the car at the price I wanted. I feel for those that have not that MIGHT have an adjustment to their final pricing because of this auction. Good luck to those still out there looking for the car they want at the price they are willing to pay.

So what did you pay???

Archived