TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cancelled GT 500 Order -- Frustration

markjhawk

All,

I just wanted to thank you for the great information during my almost two month effort to get a firm confirmation of my order. This weekend I finally gave up and told my dealer to cancel my order (if it was ever in the system). I just don't understand the Ford process...at all.

However, this is a great forum. Many thanks to Burning Blue Star and others for the outstanding information. At least it was entertaining.

As for me, I decided on a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible 4LT, Torch Red. At about 7 grand off sticker and 0% financing for 36 months...tough deal to beat. I know to many owning a Chevy is the ultimate sin, but it is one bad ass car... 12.8 quarter, 4.0 sec 0-60. And with the 4LT...a very nice interior as vettes go.

Anyway, best of luck to all and may others with GT500 orders in have better luck than me.

All,

I just wanted to thank you for the great information during my almost two month effort to get a firm confirmation of my order. This weekend I finally gave up and told my dealer to cancel my order (if it was ever in the system). I just don't understand the Ford process...at all.

However, this is a great forum. Many thanks to Burning Blue Star and others for the outstanding information. At least it was entertaining.

As for me, I decided on a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible 4LT, Torch Red. At about 7 grand off sticker and 0% financing for 36 months...tough deal to beat. I know to many owning a Chevy is the ultimate sin, but it is one bad ass car... 12.8 quarter, 4.0 sec 0-60. And with the 4LT...a very nice interior as vettes go.

Anyway, best of luck to all and may others with GT500 orders in have better luck than me.

Did the dealer get a down payment from you? Mine wouldn't even place my order without a down payment (and I wouldn't expect otherwise).

However, my dealer has been playing stupid when I've asked for a copy of the DORA but I haven't really cared so much as long as (they say) it will be built in May. I think owning a Toyota is the ultimate sin, buying American (even if subsidized) is never bad. Enjoy your vette! Better something you'll love now than a possibility of something you might like more in the future.

Sorry to hear you canceled your order. Don't know the whole story but it sound as if your dealer might not have been on top of things or maybe it's Ford who knows. Anyway it all comes down to you doing what's right for you and being happy with your choice. The C6 Corvette is a hell of a car and the Grand Sport has a lot of goodies from the ZO6 with a lower price tag. I have many friends with Vettes hope to own a GT500 and Vette together someday.

Good luck with your Vette and if you stick around I for one would love to see pics of it, 4LT sound like you are getting her loaded. Would love to hear how launch control works/feels.

Good luck with the Vette!

If anyone is interested in a 2011 GT500 and getting the run around from their dealer they can take over my order.

Kona Blue

White Stripes

Electronics Package

I am just keeping my 2010 as the hit is way too big.

If anyone is interested in a 2011 GT500 and getting the run around from their dealer they can take over my order.

Kona Blue

White Stripes

Electronics Package

Man they've only been taking orders for 2 months....you can't build these cars and get them to you overnight.

All,

Sorry that the ford "ordering" process let you down Markjhawk. I know it's a rather nonsensical system in many ways. You would think that if a buyer is there with cash in hand and wants a $50,000 car - they would take care of you and give you priority. At least in my opinion, I believe that is how it should work..instead we get allocations, stock orders, etc. There was a point last year where I pretty much had the same feelings as you...I canceled my order and said the heck with getting a Shelby for a good month.

For the most part it seemed people were getting taken care of fairly well this year versus last year in ordering Shelbys. Hopefully someone from Ford will read this and realize they're losing customers by the way that they have this particular aspect of the mustang line set up.

You really can't go wrong with a Corvette, Camaro, Challenger, etc..they're all great cars. Sounds like you got a better deal on Corvette than you would have EVER gotten on a Shelby. WOW! You'd never get $7,000 off or 0%! HA!

Enjoy that car! It sounds awesome!

You have a shady Ford dealer, so you buy a vette?

Wow.... :headscratch:

Thats like having a bad date with a girl and deciding you should go out with guys instead. :hysterical:

If you had called Michael Morris, you would have a Shelby....now you gotta be cramped in your vette watching them drive by you... :lurk:

I was gonna buy a Toyota Sequoia, but with all the problems they have, I decided to go with a Smart car.... :redcard:

All,

Don't blame you for bailing. A DORA is about the easiest thing there is to produce. They were not in any way serious about you as a customer.

I lived through the mania of the 2007 GT500s with the minimum $30,000 ADMs and dealers buying and selling allocations and cars with no regards to customers or sales contracts. Ford should have put their boot in the ass of a few players then.

My sales guy now always wonders why I am not more pumped about this car I'm getting. I tell him, "Put the keys in my hand *THEN* I'll be pumped " :)

Good luck with the 'Vette. That was my "Plan B" strategy too if the Shelby fell (falls?) through.

markjhawk,

Sorry to hear about your frustration with Ford over your GT500 order, but DubbsFaris is absolutely correct about dealers... and that's true of the Chevy and Dodge guys too. Please know there are far more many "good guy" dealers out there than the "blue suede shoe" types. I don't know what you spec'd on your Shelby, but if you were looking for a Black, SVT-PP, Stripe Delete, Glass Roof w/Electronics Package for a May delivery, please PM me for a referral to a "Good Guy" dealer who has a confirmed stock unit inbound to the S F Bay Area.

Jim

All,

Your new car is a hell of a lot faster than 12.8 =)

Congrats.

Buying a GT500 is generally a horrible experience thanks to dealers. Yes, of course we have some nice dealers here on the site. I am talking about the majority. Ford really needs to get its dealers in line if it wants to recover. I love Fords, especially Mustangs, but going to a Ford dealer is below going to the dentist on my list.

Ford, the Company, could also do much better in allowing retail customers the ability to track their vehicles. It is 2010. Ford knows EXACTLY where a VIN is in the process, why not make this information available to the customer? I could write a database connection in just several days that would link to a customer portal.

Well, it works both ways. Back in May, I went to the local Chevy dealer with $5K in $100 bills and asked to order a Camaro 2SS/RS. The dealer told me he'd need another $5K to order and that would "buy" my spot in line. I'd then have to pay sticker when it came in. I literally laughed in his face (keep in mind, I've owned 3 F-Bodies and never owned a Mustang) and went right next door to Ford. The found me a left over fully loaded (every option except NAV and 3.55's) '08 GT/CS in Arizona, had it shipped to Vegas and sold it to me for $27K and 0% for 72 months. It snickered at $35,900. Goodbye Chevy, hello Ford.

I couldn't agree more. The process with most Ford dealers in Texas has been frustrating. The primary issue centers around communication which apparantly, often, is very poor from the top of Ford Corporation down to the client. Also, some of the dealers I visited with were very arrogant towards me and gave me the impression that it was an inconvenience to sit down and find a car or order a build with the options I wanted. There are a few quality organizations out there like Joe Cooper, but the vast majority are poorly managed, jmho. If it wasn't for the heritage, looks, and scaleable options on the Shelby, I probably would have invested in 60's muscle and upgraded it to Pro Touring status. Given the opportunity to go through the ordering process again, I would do many things differently such as spend more time researching which dealers are professional and ask more questions of Shelby enthusiasts.

Your new car is a hell of a lot faster than 12.8 =)

Congrats.

Buying a GT500 is generally a horrible experience thanks to dealers. Yes, of course we have some nice dealers here on the site. I am talking about the majority. Ford really needs to get its dealers in line if it wants to recover. I love Fords, especially Mustangs, but going to a Ford dealer is below going to the dentist on my list.

Ford, the Company, could also do much better in allowing retail customers the ability to track their vehicles. It is 2010. Ford knows EXACTLY where a VIN is in the process, why not make this information available to the customer? I could write a database connection in just several days that would link to a customer portal.

post-27876-127113418772_thumb.jpgpost-27876-127113416464_thumb.jpgpost-27876-127113395815_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear you canceled your order. Don't know the whole story but it sound as if your dealer might not have been on top of things or maybe it's Ford who knows. Anyway it all comes down to you doing what's right for you and being happy with your choice. The C6 Corvette is a hell of a car and the Grand Sport has a lot of goodies from the ZO6 with a lower price tag. I have many friends with Vettes hope to own a GT500 and Vette together someday.

Good luck with your Vette and if you stick around I for one would love to see pics of it, 4LT sound like you are getting her loaded. Would love to hear how launch control works/feels.

I'm still getting her broke in...but I think the launch control is going to be awesome. Based on what I've seen in drag strip testing the GT500 could really use it...too tough to get the full performance out of the car. The HUGE meats on the Grand Sport certainly help.

I was never expecting to get a GT500 in a month or two...but was certainly expecting to have a ballpark figure on when I would get the car. After waiting for two months and not even having a DORA (despite being told repeatedly I had the one allocation for three dealerships) I just wasn't willing to wait any longer.

I've attached a few picks taken at the dealership. Actually may end up as a fairly rare combo. Very few 4LT verts with manuals (unfortunately I haven't found the Burning Blue Star for Corvettes yet). The Torch Red is back this year...have always loved it.post-27876-127113388652_thumb.jpg

Finally, the dealer experience at Purifoy Chevrolet outside Denver was the absolute best I have ever experienced. Rollie (the owner) is on the Corvette Design team and has his own Corvette Showroom (in a town of 7,000 people)...been handling Vettes for 30 years. He sold 137 vettes in one year...that only happens with King Kong customer service. He spent almost 90 minutes BSing about cars with me. Not to mention they throw in Corvette jean jackets and a free car cover (I had no idea it was part of the deal...they GAVE them to me as thanks). A novel concept.

Unfortunately, I got hooked up with the wrong Ford dealer...but am certainly happy with the Vette! Again, good luck to all. I really enjoyed the forum...great people.

post-27876-127113388652_thumb.jpg

post-27876-127113395815_thumb.jpg

post-27876-127113416464_thumb.jpg

post-27876-127113418772_thumb.jpg

Nice looking Grand Sport, haven't seen many Convertibles the wider fenders and rims look great on the Verts very muscled up look. Best of both worlds open air cruising and speed. I was looking for a used 06//07 ZO6 before taking a closer look at the 2010 GT500's, the lure of the exhaust and the styling started to hook me then once I saw my color combo came on 2011 it was set. Maybe in about 10 years or so I'll be able to find one of those ZO6 Carbon Editions, killer looks and power with brakes strong enought to loosen your fillings.

I too cancelled my 2011 order...too many issues!!! If any of you want to sell your 2010's for a good price, I have cash.

Congrats on the Vette...they ride terrible but are still fun...I have owned 9 Vettes over the years...

Alex

I agree that Ford needs to give priority to the folks that have cash in hand. i am in the same boat, I placed my order the second week the order banks were open and I did get my dora. The dealer had already placed one order and doesnt know when they will have allocation for my order. The other Ford dealers in the area have allocations but are not willing to sell me a car for what I feel is a fair price. I plan on waiting until July and if Ford doesnt pull my order, I am going to purchase a new Carmaro instead with enough money left over to build it into a monster.

This would be my first ever new Ford Purchase and was looking to switch over to Fords, due to some bad luck with my last two GM cars and trucks Ford Really needs to do the Retail Order Verification on the Shelby. I guess Ford is making enough money and doesnt need ours.

Kona Blue

White Stripes

Electronics Package

Why would you get rid of a '10 for an '11? I don't get it unless you're wanting to go from a coupe to a vert, or vice-versa??

BTW, that's a great looking Vett!

Hmm..I had no idea you were planning on getting rid of your '10, Bpmurr - maybe I missed a post of yours somewhere or I just forgot about reading it.

There is quite a big difference in prices of the two years, especially if you grab the SVT Package and Electronics package.

Glad you're sticking with us "old-timers" with 2010 model year cars! :P

Unfortunately, I got hooked up with the wrong Ford dealer...but am certainly happy with the Vette! Again, good luck to all. I really enjoyed the forum...great people.

Thanks for posting pics of your great car, markjhawk! Well, at least you got a Shelby GT500 color - Torch Red! Cool! :D

Did the dealer get a down payment from you? Mine wouldn't even place my order without a down payment (and I wouldn't expect otherwise).

However, my dealer has been playing stupid when I've asked for a copy of the DORA but I haven't really cared so much as long as (they say) it will be built in May. I think owning a Toyota is the ultimate sin, buying American (even if subsidized) is never bad. Enjoy your vette! Better something you'll love now than a possibility of something you might like more in the future.

I know how you feel mine is still on hold but a stock order is suppose to come in this week so i'll be checking that out.

Sorry to hear about the cancelation, I hope you don't regret it later on. Congrats on the vette. I currently have one of each, a black C6 and a grabber blue w/white GT500. I can definitely appreciate what the vette has to offer, as I'm currently on my 3rd C6. I went from an LS2, to an LS7, and currently an LS3. If I had to get rid of one however, it would be bye-bye to the vette.

Take care.

A few years ago my mother-in-law had a new Vette and I had a chance to drive it a few times. After about 30 minutes the fun wore off and I was ready to take it back. The GT500 I can drive all day, day after day, and it never gets old. Maybe it's just the way I sit in the car, or the way it feels, but something is definately different.

I'm not saying the Vette is not an awesome car, because it is, but I was just surprised at how quick I was ready to move on.

Sorry that the ford "ordering" process let you down Markjhawk. I know it's a rather nonsensical system in many ways. You would think that if a buyer is there with cash in hand and wants a $50,000 car - they would take care of you and give you priority. At least in my opinion, I believe that is how it should work..instead we get allocations, stock orders, etc. There was a point last year where I pretty much had the same feelings as you...I canceled my order and said the heck with getting a Shelby for a good month.

For the most part it seemed people were getting taken care of fairly well this year versus last year in ordering Shelbys. Hopefully someone from Ford will read this and realize they're losing customers by the way that they have this particular aspect of the mustang line set up.

You really can't go wrong with a Corvette, Camaro, Challenger, etc..they're all great cars. Sounds like you got a better deal on Corvette than you would have EVER gotten on a Shelby. WOW! You'd never get $7,000 off or 0%! HA!

Enjoy that car! It sounds awesome!

"Never get $7,000 off or 0%"

0% was offered on the 07's. '08s were sold, new, for 38-39K with invoice and the $3,000 rebate. '09s have factory to dealer incentives.

Has nothing to do with that. Has to do with COMMUNICATION with the customer. That is #1 priority of any business that expects to survive.

Problem is the dealers hold the upper hand here. They control a "limited" resource, that resource being a Shelby allocation. I'd expect to be treated much differently ordering a car I can get at ANY dealership....that is when they will do whatever it takes. I'm not saying I agree with them, but that is what the facts are and we the customer have to jump through those hoops (typically).

Unfortunately, I got hooked up with the wrong Ford dealer...

I almost hate to ask, because I think I know.......but, which one??

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

Archived