TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5W20?

Took the KR to my dealer yesterday for an oil/filter change and tire rotation. Last night I noticed on the invoice that they used 5W20 synthetic instead of the recommended 5W50 that I used the last 2 oil changes.

Is this OK?

Took the KR to my dealer yesterday for an oil/filter change and tire rotation. Last night I noticed on the invoice that they used 5W20 synthetic instead of the recommended 5W50 that I used the last 2 oil changes.

Is this OK?

Uh - no! Actually, if you don't drive it hard, it's probably OK but if it were my KR, I would be using the recommended 5W-50. (especially going into the summer season)

I went to the Ford dealer that I bought my KR from to get the "freebie" first oil change (even though I've changed the oil twice already) at 6K. I asked the tech what oil he would use and he said 5W20. I demanded he use 5W50 because that's what the owners manual references for oil and he said he wasn't sure they stocked 5W50. He checked on it and said they have 5W50.

Then we went round and round about using a blend versus full synthetic. I demanded full synthetic because I already use that oil. Anyhow, I made sure dealer was clear on that.

Then the tech popped the hood without first unlatching the hood pins..... :rant2: Wow was I upset and told him so.

I won't bring my car there again!!!

The lesson is: question the service rep so he is clear on what you want done to your car otherwise, our KR is treated like any other car. Our KR's are the bomb and need our TLC.... :dance:

DaShelby

Thanks guys. Just drove it home from the dealer yesterday and haven't been in it today. Called the service rep, got his voicemail and left a message that I'd be coming back tomorrow for the 5W50.

The real pisser is that when I got there, I specifically reminded him that I wanted the full synthetic 5W50 Shelby oil, per the owners manual. He said that was what they always use on the KRs.

I really should have caught this when I paid the bill. $4.98 per quart could never be the 5W50!

Thanks guys. Just drove it home from the dealer yesterday and haven't been in it today. Called the service rep, got his voicemail and left a message that I'd be coming back tomorrow for the 5W50.

The real pisser is that when I got there, I specifically reminded him that I wanted the full synthetic 5W50 Shelby oil, per the owners manual. He said that was what they always use on the KRs.

I really should have caught this when I paid the bill. $4.98 per quart could never be the 5W50!

I live in Canton Ga what dealer did you use ? You are right a quart is more like $ 8.41 .

Just my .02 but these are special cars find a service guy who knows and respects it.In San Diego,El Cajon ford has such a guy ,has his own bay and no one in the yard will move it but him and it will stay in the bay until you arrive to pick it up.KRs deserve it.Just bought 2qt after a trip to vegas $20.Yes the oil type is on the cap.

I live in Canton Ga what dealer did you use ? You are right a quart is more like $ 8.41 .

Jim Tidwell in Kennesaw. Went back today and they changed the oil & filter for free. I've been happy with them and this was just a screw-up on the tech's part. My service adviser reamed the tech a new one.

Is this OK?

Goes to prove, no doubt, can't trust "even" the dealership AND IT SAYS RIGHT ON THE OIL FILL CAP 5/50. Had the same experience with my 09 V.W. Jetta diesel which takes a V.W. 507 oil and the service writer frigging argued with me about it. Called in the Service Mgr. and he told the service writer, he was wrong. Made them let me see the tech. putting in the oil. Either these people are brain dead or just don't give a crap. Probably the latter. My GT500, I bring to a friend of mine that has a auto repair shop and bring my own oil and filter.

SAS

• 6 months later...

I've never had my oil changed by anyone else on any Mustang I have owned. However, I was in a hurry before a trip last week and decided to just stop by the local Ford dealer for an oil change. I called beforehand to make sure they had 5W50 in stock. Dropped off the car, reminding them it takes 5W50. Came back a little while later and all the paperwork indicated 5W20!! They drained the old oil and changed the filter again in front of me, but still kinda rattles me they would make that mistake??

You would think the tech. would catch the mistake when he started to put the new oil in. Particularly, since they have to remove the fill cap and it says what oil the engine requires right on it. I've got vehicles from both Ford and GM and they all have it on their fill caps. This is why I do my maintenance. That and I've heard and seen how they "test" drive the vehicles. I'll never understand how people don't respect other peoples property. :headscratch:

The guy changing your oil at the dealerships will often NOT be their most experienced. That's where the new guys start out, after advancing from being a lot boy doing car washes. You generally don't have your $25 per hour highly trained technician doing oil changes, unless he already has the car in his bay for other work.

Archived