TEAM SHELBY FORUM

spare tire

I know that the spare tire issue has been talked about before, I looked at all the past posts. I have the standard P235/50 R 18 which is 27.25" diam. I have looked at other mustang websites and there is discussion there, but no resolve either. 2 questions, What size is the mustang GT spare tire, if it has one? It supposedly has the same size tires on the road as mine. Also, has anyone found an 18" space saver tire? There is a good website for tire sizes-------

http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?ws18=1&ws17=1&tiresize=235%2F50-18&minwidth=&maxwidth=&minratio=&maxratio=&minwheel=&maxwheel=&maxdelta=2

I know that the spare tire issue has been talked about before, I looked at all the past posts. I have the standard P235/50 R 18 which is 27.25" diam. I have looked at other mustang websites and there is discussion there, but no resolve either. 2 questions, What size is the mustang GT spare tire, if it has one? It supposedly has the same size tires on the road as mine. Also, has anyone found an 18" space saver tire? There is a good website for tire sizes-------

http://ejelta.com/ti...eel=&maxdelta=2

Jack,

Uncertain as to the size of an OEM Mustang GT tire; however, here is a link to a quick tire size calculator which will show you the differences once you have an answer to your question:

http://www.miata.net...e/tirecalc.html

Lg

http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?ws18=1&ws17=1&tiresize=235%2F50-18&minwidth=&maxwidth=&minratio=&maxratio=&minwheel=&maxwheel=&maxdelta=2

When I measured my stock 2008 SGT tire, I came up with 26 1/2" diameter. My spare Mustang "donut" tire has a 25 3/4" diameter. Both were measured the same way by me, so regardless of the difference between what you measured for a diameter or what I measured, what is important is that the difference in diameter between my stock tire and the spare "donut" tire is 3/4" which is insignificant. Also, the "donut" tire is a 17" wheel vs the stock 18" wheel. The diameter of the wheel/tire combo is what is important not just the wheel size, as the turning diameter should be the same for both, and 3/4" is insignificant between the full size tire and spare tire to cause any harm to the drive train. The problem you will have with the "donut" spare is if it is not used for its intended purpose - to get you on the road again at reasonable speeds until you are able to have the flat repaired or tire replaced. Excessive speed or extended use of the spare tire is not what it was intended for.

When I measured my stock 2008 SGT tire, I came up with 26 1/2" diameter. My spare Mustang "donut" tire has a 25 3/4" diameter. Both were measured the same way by me, so regardless of the difference between what you measured for a diameter or what I measured, what is important is that the difference in diameter between my stock tire and the spare "donut" tire is 3/4" which is insignificant. Also, the "donut" tire is a 17" wheel vs the stock 18" wheel. The diameter of the wheel/tire combo is what is important not just the wheel size, as the turning diameter should be the same for both, and 3/4" is insignificant between the full size tire and spare tire to cause any harm to the drive train. The problem you will have with the "donut" spare is if it is not used for its intended purpose - to get you on the road again at reasonable speeds until you are able to have the flat repaired or tire replaced. Excessive speed or extended use of the spare tire is not what it was intended for.

Thanks for getting back to me, I guess I need to measure my tire on MY car, as I have the same car as you. If mine is smaller than what is in the chart, the 17" will work. It just seems to me that the space saver out of a GT would work, as it has the same tire size and I would think that you could get posi with it.---Jack

• 1 month later...

I bought a brand new donut spare for $25 !! T185/60R17

This is my next little project. It's easy to forget about these spare tire inflators until you need to use it. I doubt the inflator would do much good though as my tires seem to be destroyed when i have to stop on side of the road to change a flat. Where did you get your spare at Ed.Thanks.

:happy feet:

A cheap donut spare I can buy (literally and figuratively). My question is what's the

cheapest option to jack up the car? I already use the lumber option to drive up the

car when changing my tires for autocross events (since I'm too cheap right now to

buy a low profile floor jack to replace the perfectly good one I have now). But that

won't work for a destroyed tire.

-Tom

A cheap donut spare I can buy (literally and figuratively). My question is what's the

cheapest option to jack up the car? I already use the lumber option to drive up the

car when changing my tires for autocross events (since I'm too cheap right now to

buy a low profile floor jack to replace the perfectly good one I have now). But that

won't work for a destroyed tire.

-Tom

+1 THAT is the REAL issue. What can you carry in the car to overcome the lowered ride height and a destroyed tire. I don't drive too far from home really so I have everything I need in my garage (stock 18" wheeel/tire, low profile jack, etc.) so if I have an issue I will call some friends to fetch it and bring it to me. As you have pointed out, in all the discussions here, and all over the web, there seems to be no one size fits all solution that makes everyone happy. I suspect if there were Ford would have figured it out and not thrown their hands up when trying to address a catastrophic tire failure for these cars. IMHO!

Ken, I found it on craigslist. Some kid had acquired it for some work he did.

If you've upgraded your brakes, I don't know if the donut would fit over them but I'm not positive.

By the way, you probably have the BADDEST black SGT in Texas :)

Even if you think you've figured it all out, actual conditions, etc. may prevent you from doing anything about the flat anyway. I just carry a full size tire and the factory jack in my car when I travel long distances. Beyond that I just hope for the best!

Even if you think you've figured it all out, actual conditions, etc. may prevent you from doing anything about the flat anyway. I just carry a full size tire and the factory jack in my car when I travel long distances. Beyond that I just hope for the best!

Well, I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a low profile jack now and follow Jeff's lead about calling someone

to bring it to me along with the full sized spare when going short distances.

For longer jaunts, I'll put it in the trunk.

Bob, I'm curious: do you keep your full sized spare in the well of the trunk?

-Tom

Ken, I found it on craigslist. Some kid had acquired it for some work he did.

If you've upgraded your brakes, I don't know if the donut would fit over them but I'm not positive.

By the way, you probably have the BADDEST black SGT in Texas :)

Ed, i upgraded the brakes to baer drilled and slotted rotors and ss brakelines but still have the same calibers so i should'nt have any problem with the donut tire. I don't know about being the BADDEST black SGT in Texas but with the shorty headers and KR mufflers i'm probably 'lol' the loudest.

I've been interested in this myself. I purchased my '08 SGT used from a Volvo dealer with < 7K miles on it, but the inflator in the trunk was missing. Talked the dealer into letting me keep the jack and spare out of my '06 GT that I traded in, and thought I had made a good deal. I took some measurements today and here is what I got. Tire measurements the same as "springer" - 25 3/4 in on the doughnut spare (Maxxis T185 60R17) and 26 1/2 in on the stock SGT tires (235 50 ZR18).

The minimum height on the Ford scissors jack is 3 1/2 in. Sitting in the driveway with tires fully inflated, the factory jack points are approx 5 in from the pavement.

I'm therefore assuming that with a flat tire, it could be difficult or impossible to position the jack under the car.

I Googled "low profile jacks" and didn't come up with anything that was less than 3 in minimum height, and the stock Ford jack is 3 1/2 in, so it doesn't seem that purchasing a different jack offers much of a solution. I'm frankly a bit surprised that Jeg's or some similar outfit doesn't offer a special jack to address this problem. How about it SPP?

In the meantime, I think I'll go the lumber ramp method and make sure my AAA dues are up to date.dance.gif

Here is a stupid question. Since these cars did not come with a spare tire I assume there is no jack or lug wrench either?

So ... I would have to get a spare tire, jack and lug wrench. I already have a couple 4 way lug wrenches but what kinda jack do you guys think would work best? The one that came with the regular Mustang GT? Or is the suspension on the SGT too low for that?

THANKS!

F.I.Y...

Search E-Bay, Craigslist, or a boneyard of your choice, for a donut spare from a 2003/2004 Mercury Marauder. It's an 18" wheel with identical specs to the SGT and it will fit correctly on an SGT with stock brakes. Same bolt pattern, same lug nuts as well...It's the answer y'all seek.

The first edition of the 2003 Marauders (300A) came with a full size spare, but mid year of 2003 (300B) and the entire 2004 MY of Marauders came with donut spares.

The front tires on a stock Marauder are the same size as the SGT...P 235/50 R 18.

F.I.Y...

Search E-Bay, Craigslist, or a boneyard of your choice, for a donut spare from a 2003/2004 Mercury Marauder. It's an 18" wheel with identical specs to the SGT and it will fit correctly on an SGT with stock brakes. Same bolt pattern, same lug nuts as well...It's the answer y'all seek.

The first edition of the 2003 Marauders (300A) came with a full size spare, but mid year of 2003 (300B) and the entire 2004 MY of Marauders came with donut spares.

The front tires on a stock Marauder are the same size as the SGT...P 235/50 R 18.

Thats great info, thanks alot. I assume it will fit in the spare tire well also. Now on to the jack issue.

Nice to see some discussion on this. I tried to find the Merc space saver, but gave up and bought a generic tire and wheel from americas tire for 281.00 OTD. As far as a jack I have lots of them in my junk pile. When I junk a car I keep the jack etc. I think the one that I am going to use is out of a Nissan, I have a couple of inches to spare. It has screw that tightens the scissor. Works real well. We are finally going to have some time to drive the SGT this summer and will feel good about having the spare. What ever you put in make sure you check the size at http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?ws18=1&ws17=1&tiresize=235%2F50-18&minwidth=&maxwidth=&minratio=&maxratio=&minwheel=&maxwheel=. With posi, I believe you have to get fairly close on the diameter or you will have some problems.

Well, as much as I dont really want to do this, I'm considering carrying 2 jacks. Lets say you have a flat in front, you should still

be able to get 1 jack in position at the rear jacking point, raise the vehicle enough with that jack to gain enough height to slip

the other jack in place at the front point........havent actually tried this, just a theory.

Well, as much as I dont really want to do this, I'm considering carrying 2 jacks. Lets say you have a flat in front, you should still

be able to get 1 jack in position at the rear jacking point, raise the vehicle enough with that jack to gain enough height to slip

the other jack in place at the front point........havent actually tried this, just a theory.

Your theory should work if you can get the first jack under the car with the tire flat.

I had to do similar action to get mine on a hoist at my work to install rear Billet lower Control Arms last year. I had to use a floor jack to raise the front so the foot on the lift arm could fit under and be position to the rear position. One of our technicians help master mind the lift process. Really added some time to my doing the control arms as I had to do one side at a time.

Convinced me to be sure I check when a garage has to pick my car up. There are places with really low access feet on thier hoists.

DrKSGT

Archived