TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fun little customization

DaFreak

Hi All,

You might have seen these before but I recently found them at k-manparts.com (love that place). They are part of the 07 red appearance package and they go great with my White/Red 2010.

DSC00108.jpg

Good stuff!

DaFreak

Pretty cool, it will be a nice little detail others might overlook unless they are GT500 followers. Would be cool to see pics after they are installed, I don't think the side fender snakes have locator pegs do they?

Yep, they do have two locator pegs on each. Assuming the ones coming off have them too it should simplify the install :dance:

Anyone got any tips on removing the existing ones? I've heard hair dryer and fishing line but not sure of the best route for these.

Thanks,

DaFreak

Yep, they do have two locator pegs on each. Assuming the ones coming off have them too it should simply the install :dance:

Anyone got any tips on removing the existing ones? I've heard hair dryer and fishing line but not sure of the best route for these.

Thanks,

DaFreak

Oh they do have the pegs, ya learn something new everyday. Guess it's better that way so you KNOW they are on straight, I go out on my mind trying to put them on "free hand"

As for removal I've always hear the hair dryer fishing line trick also. I was a bit leering of how harsh the fishing line would be so I used dental floss to remove the tank emblems on my motorcycle.

Oh they do have the pegs, ya learn something new everyday. Guess it's better that way so you KNOW they are on straight, I go out on my mind trying to put them on "free hand"

As for removal I've always hear the hair dryer fishing line trick also. I was a bit leering of how harsh the fishing line would be so I used dental floss to remove the tank emblems on my motorcycle.

Nice! I like the dental floss idea. I'll try that first and be sure to post some pics once they're on.

Cheers :beerchug: ,

DaFreak

Nice! I like the dental floss idea. I'll try that first and be sure to post some pics once they're on.

Cheers :beerchug: ,

DaFreak

The dental floss will keep breaking.....its too much of a pain in the ass. I used fishing line (making sure you're pulling on the line slightly so you're never touching the fender/paint). Goof off works awesome too - 10xs better and faster than the dryer. Tape everything off, pour a bit from top and work the fishing line. Makes it a much quicker job.

post-25336-127070650144_thumb.jpg

post-25336-127070650144_thumb.jpg

The dental floss will keep breaking.....its too much of a pain in the ass. I used fishing line (making sure you're pulling on the line slightly so you're never touching the fender/paint). Goof off works awesome too - 10xs better and faster than the dryer. Tape everything off, pour a bit from top and work the fishing line. Makes it a much quicker job.

Sounds like good advice 2sharpie! I'll try the Goof off and fishing line. BTW - Yours look great.

DaFreak.

was thinking the same thing---how would you plan on masking off to get at all the little "red" spots--i was thinking maybe id just paint the head--my car is red, with black top so thought mixing wouldnt be bad--bob

Yeah the dental floss is break 2-3 times but the emblem on my motorcycle was about the size of my hand. I have a feeling if I would have used the hair dryer longer there would have been less breakage. Given the smaller size of the "Cobra" emblem and becuase if has the 2 locator pegs fishing line might work out better if you use a 6 lb test and you pull toward yourself away from the paint. Either way good luck and let us know it it looks on your ride with pics.

was thinking the same thing---how would you plan on masking off to get at all the little "red" spots--i was thinking maybe id just paint the head--my car is red, with black top so thought mixing wouldnt be bad--bob

i was going to try and find some colorado red touch up paint and just use a tiny brush. acutally i will probably let my buddy do it. he is an artist and has a very steady hand.

i was going to try and find some colorado red touch up paint and just use a tiny brush. acutally i will probably let my buddy do it. he is an artist and has a very steady hand.

Try this. Get some red enamel model car paint. And a bottle of enamel thinner. Paint the red areas as best you can. Then using a clean rag (like a t-shirt), wrap the rag around your finger and dip it in the thinner. Then use it to wipe away the red paint wherever you need to. Since all of the areas that will remain silver are raised, you can use the thinner soaked rag just like an eraser to remove the excess red.

Try this. Get some red enamel model car paint. And a bottle of enamel thinner. Paint the red areas as best you can. Then using a clean rag (like a t-shirt), wrap the rag around your finger and dip it in the thinner. Then use it to wipe away the red paint wherever you need to. Since all of the areas that will remain silver are raised, you can use the thinner soaked rag just like an eraser to remove the excess red.

right...exactly what i was going to do. same way i painted my 03 cobra caliers red and just wiped off the paint from the work cobra after.

DaFreak did you buy the set, with the flax cap?

Snake Handler

As stated earlier fishing line and a little Goof Off works fine. I replaced the fender snakes and the flax gas cap.

Correct me if Im wrong but you replaced your cobras on a 08'? On the flax gas cap did you happen to notice if the black center portion with the cobra could be removed from the brushed bezel. I was considering ordering a set a few weeks back and I was thinking about flax cap because they are different between the 07-09' to the 10'/11'. But I got to thinking that the black center piece could possibly be removed from the older one and replace the newer one. I was also just looking around the Shelby web site and stumbled over this, so it also makes me think that it is possible to change that center piece.

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/p7s3z-6342528-sl.htm

thanks---do you let the paint dry a bit before using the thinner--i am concerned about spreading the wet paint. BTW i used the touch up paint and its a near perfect match to the 2010 torch red, or chevy color colorado red.MM got me the paint.I know im probably the only one concrend about the match between 2009 and 2010 torch red, but if the 2 are parked together you can see the difference.So MM sent me the latest 2010 paint to make sure itd match--bob

Hi All,

Well, got the emblems off without incident. Used goo gone and 6lbs fishing line (good call) and they were off in minutes. I cleaned up the remaining adhesive and debris using detail spray.

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

A question for you finish experts. Is there any additional surface prep I should do before I install the new emblems?

Thanks in advance,

DaFreak

Hi All,

Well, got the emblems off without incident. Used goo gone and 6lbs fishing line (good call) and they were off in minutes. I cleaned up the remaining adhesive and debris using detail spray.

A question for you finish experts. Is there any additional surface prep I should do before I install the new emblems?

Thanks in advance,

DaFreak

I would clean the area well with rubbing alcohol and then install the emblems. You need to get that detail spray off with alcohol so you get a good bond between the double sided tape and fender. You can use Windex if you don't have rubbing alcohol.

sorry, but look on ebay I have seen them there with pics of both sides

Thanks...that helps! If anyone has a closer image of the alignment prongs on the back that would be awesome as well!

This is what I plan on having made at the tool and dye shop my buddy owns to replace the stock emblems.

supersnake265.png

I'm a huge Superman buff and the Supersnake is a dream car of mine (can't afford that one right now....).

I wanted to put it on my stock GT500... I'm wondering if that would be weird...stating it's a Supersnake without it actually being one...

supersnakecomp.jpg

Archived