TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust(headers)

in the process of finishhin up some break in miles on my '10 GT500 and im fixin to do a pulley, tune, exhaust, etc...

havent really found any exhaust i like except for setups that have long tube headers....

with that said, i guess im gonna go ahead and do a set while im gettin it tuned.

had three choices in mind.....

-Full Kooks

-Full Stainless Works

-American Racing headers with quiet Borlas

im strayin away from Kooks since the catback is only 2.5" and the headers arent a full length longtube.

im satisfied with the Stainless Works kit. which im leanin toward. but i ran the similar setup of american racing headers, off-road x, and quiet Borlas on my

'04 KB Cobra and it was wicked soundin. real quiet while cruisin but when you got in boost it woke up real quick.

the sound im lookin for is a crisp clean throaty sound. tame under normal load but NASTY when you get off in it.

i wanna stay with 1 7/8" primarys and 3" exhaust since i will be addin a bigger blower later this summer or next year.

can anyone help me make my mind up???

thanks

Here's a link to my post with sound clips and info on headers. I own a Mustang shop and have tried all the longtubes out there and the Dynatechs make the most power, sound the best, and fit the easiest. on the GT500. You also can't compare sound on an 03-04 Cobra with the mufflers in the center as opposed to the GT500 with mufflers in the back. I have also dynoed 3" all the way back and for any car making less than 800 RWHP you will LOSE bottom end power below 4500 RPM and only have minimal gains up top (like 6 RWHP) Also, these engines do not like having no cats, even with tuning you will pick up around 2 RWHP with no cats and a tune with these headers and a huge amount of popping and noise. Read the post with sound clips....If you want a set of Dynatechs let me know I sell them for $1199 shipped including 3"-2.5" X-pipe, high flow cats, all bolts, gaskets, and oxygen sensor extensions. Hope this helps to save you from making an bad/expensive choice....

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38679-sound-clip-of-my-gt500longtubes-hi-flow-cats-mac-mufflers/page__p__614097__fromsearch__1entry614097

Alex

well i decided on two setups...

Full Stainless Works: 1 7/8s LT headers, catted X-pipe, and full 3'' catback....can anyone verify for me if any other catback will bolt up to the Stainless works x-pipe just incase i dont like the SW catback???

or

American Racing 1 7/8s LT headers, off-road x-pipe, Borla Touring catback...this should sound about rite...good for cruising but nasty when WOT!!! only drawback to this is the x-pipe is 2.5 inches and so is the catback...i really wanted full 3". if AR had a 3" x-pipe then i could use the catted version with magnaflows 3" kit.

any opinions??? im gonna order by the end of the week. more than likely the full SW setup

well i decided on two setups...

Full Stainless Works: 1 7/8s LT headers, catted X-pipe, and full 3'' catback....can anyone verify for me if any other catback will bolt up to the Stainless works x-pipe just incase i dont like the SW catback???

or

American Racing 1 7/8s LT headers, off-road x-pipe, Borla Touring catback...this should sound about rite...good for cruising but nasty when WOT!!! only drawback to this is the x-pipe is 2.5 inches and so is the catback...i really wanted full 3". if AR had a 3" x-pipe then i could use the catted version with magnaflows 3" kit.

any opinions??? im gonna order by the end of the week. more than likely the full SW setup

When I spoke to AR they said their X-pipe was 3", but they would narrow it down to 2.5" where it connects to my Roush exhaust. Just my .02

yeah man i found out you can get it both ways. everybody seems to tell me to go with ARH with off-road-x with the 3" magnaflow....only got one or two suggestions to go with the stainless works...

has anybody had any clearance issues with the 1 7/8s ARH on a basically stock car????(no lowered motor mounts or k-member adjustment)...

would also like to know how the collectors are on the ARH setup(ball and socket, slip fit, etc...) just want to make sure the way the headers bolt to the x-pipe is the way i want.

my ultimate kit would be the headers, off-road x, and borla tourning mufflers but the touring only comes as an axle back that is 2.5 inches so i would still have to have from the back of the x-pipe over the axle pipe made for me

and i really want a full bolt on deal ready to go...

Unless you live in an area of Alabama where there is no one around you for a 2 mile radius, you are not going to like these set-ups. I'm telling you, I have tried them all....too loud and not a good loud.... more like a motorcycle loud...Best of luck....

Alex

Alex, the only reason im leanin toward the ARH/Magnaflow setup is because i have more flexibility there if i decide to change catbacks.

the full SW setup is nice and sounds real good but im not sure how good it will sound with 800 HP comin through a chambered muffler....so therefore if i decide to change catbacks then i will havta modify and weld whatever i decide to run because SW is setup to accept only their own catback or so i have been told. so unelss i change my mind by towmorrow i believe im gonna go ARH cattd with 3" magnaflow....i could be makin a mistake but i guess i wont know till i try....

Alex, the only reason im leanin toward the ARH/Magnaflow setup is because i have more flexibility there if i decide to change catbacks.

the full SW setup is nice and sounds real good but im not sure how good it will sound with 800 HP comin through a chambered muffler....so therefore if i decide to change catbacks then i will havta modify and weld whatever i decide to run because SW is setup to accept only their own catback or so i have been told. so unelss i change my mind by towmorrow i believe im gonna go ARH cattd with 3" magnaflow....i could be makin a mistake but i guess i wont know till i try....

I think that I have decided to go with the exact same set up as you are saying in this post. I want the American Racing headers, catted x-pipe, and 3" Magnaflows. Do you think this is a good combination? Is this exactly what you are doing? Also, what's the total cost gonna be? Do the Magnaflows have 4" tips? Any and all information that you can tell me is appreciated. Also, I am very interested in hearing how this set up sounds...so keep me informed with a video please. Thanks a bunch.

I think that I have decided to go with the exact same set up as you are saying in this post. I want the American Racing headers, catted x-pipe, and 3" Magnaflows. Do you think this is a good combination? Is this exactly what you are doing? Also, what's the total cost gonna be? Do the Magnaflows have 4" tips? Any and all information that you can tell me is appreciated. Also, I am very interested in hearing how this set up sounds...so keep me informed with a video please. Thanks a bunch.

i believe im dead set on this setup. i may go without cats. i have been told that the higher HP applications will eventually blow them out. im gonna do some more homework on it

over the weekend before i decide for sure. i believe the ARH is about the best for these cars for a full length longtube. the price is gonna be somewhere in the $2400ish range or so.

accordin to magnaflows website, the 3" kit for the 2010 has 4" tips. i have built a lot of mustangs and these newer setups with a rear mounted muffler has been tough to make sound rite. i have talked to the folks at Lethal Perf. and they swear by this setup as they run it on their 2010. their car sounds good but it also has a BIG blower and built motor so that plays a key role in the sound. i have a buddy who is a master fabricator and his sons car has JBA headers, gutted cat x-pipe, under car mounted magnaflows, and tailpipes

and it sounds the best i have heard so far. i just wanted a "production" kit that way i could take it on and off as needed and i didnt wanna havta build a complete kit from scratch then tig it up and polish the pipes and clean everything up to make it look clean. plan to order my setup this comin week. still gotta get the pulleys, heat exchanger, etc...

i believe im dead set on this setup. i may go without cats. i have been told that the higher HP applications will eventually blow them out. im gonna do some more homework on it

over the weekend before i decide for sure. i believe the ARH is about the best for these cars for a full length longtube. the price is gonna be somewhere in the $2400ish range or so.

accordin to magnaflows website, the 3" kit for the 2010 has 4" tips. i have built a lot of mustangs and these newer setups with a rear mounted muffler has been tough to make sound rite. i have talked to the folks at Lethal Perf. and they swear by this setup as they run it on their 2010. their car sounds good but it also has a BIG blower and built motor so that plays a key role in the sound. i have a buddy who is a master fabricator and his sons car has JBA headers, gutted cat x-pipe, under car mounted magnaflows, and tailpipes

and it sounds the best i have heard so far. i just wanted a "production" kit that way i could take it on and off as needed and i didnt wanna havta build a complete kit from scratch then tig it up and polish the pipes and clean everything up to make it look clean. plan to order my setup this comin week. still gotta get the pulleys, heat exchanger, etc...

Cool...I appreciate all your information. So tell me this...Is the American Racing headers with catted x-pipe a 3" system and will it fit up with 3" Magnaflows...are there 3" Magnaflows?

Cool...I appreciate all your information. So tell me this...Is the American Racing headers with catted x-pipe a 3" system and will it fit up with 3" Magnaflows...are there 3" Magnaflows?

i believe the part # for the Magnaflow kit is 16572. this should be a full 3" magnapack kit(agressive). i have been told that it will bolt directly to the back of the ARH x-pipe but im gonna ask again when i order just to make sure. if not then i will havta find another route

Archived